Which Case For A Silent (Or As Close As Possible) HTPC

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Blade

Which Case For A Silent (Or As Close As Possible) HTPC

Post by Blade » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Gents,

I did have a look around for a recommended list of cases, but couldn't find one (although there was one for just about everything else!)

I'm looking for a HTPC case, nice and quiet, that'll still let me have a 5.25" drive bay on the front. I've like something in a "desktop/HTPC/flat" format, rather than a "tower"

Best I've cone up with at the moment is the Silverstone GD06B, which looks pretty nice (if not a little expensive)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverstone-SST ... B004VG66RK

Are there any other alternatives I can look at?

PSU has yet to be decided on, if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

Cheers,
Rich

boost

Re: Which Case For A Silent (Or As Close As Possible) HTPC

Post by boost » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:16 pm

First a few questions:
Do you have any hardware you want to (re)use, i.e. a mainboard that limits the selection of the case?
What hardware will you buy for your HTPC?
What hard drive do you want to use?
Would you be ok with a slim optical drive?
What software will you run (Windows Media Center, MadVR (+Jinc3), Games, ...)?
Which (if any) remote do you want to use (Media Center Remote, iMon, CIR, ...)?
Do you need to connsider the WAF of the case?

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:45 am

For silent HTPC cases I would suggest HD-Plex or Streacom. But if you consider the Silverstone expensive these are probably not on your list.

Blade

Post by Blade » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay, wanted to get all of the technical details together... To answer the questions:-

I'm like to reuse the following:-
Intel Core i5 760 - Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H microATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

I also have a full size Asus high end sound card that I'd ideally like to use, but guess I could use a 90-degree adapter to get it to fit into a small form factor case maybe?

Hard drive will be a 2.5" SSD

Slim optical drive is just fine

I'll be using XBMC, with a Logitech DNovo Mini remote control (works wireless 2.4Ghz via a USB Dongle)

I'm not sure what WAF is though?

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:15 am

Blade wrote:I'm like to reuse the following:-
Intel Core i5 760 - Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H microATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

I also have a full size Asus high end sound card that I'd ideally like to use, but guess I could use a 90-degree adapter to get it to fit into a small form factor case maybe?

Hard drive will be a 2.5" SSD

Slim optical drive is just fine
Since you are reusing a lot of hardware, i think the GD06 you initially picked its a good one, given that its not oriented for quiet operation, undervolting the included fans or going with aftermarket fans (like Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B1AP-11 or GlideStream SY1225HB12SL), and using 2.5 ssd it should end up quiet.

You have cover the hdd noise by going with an ssd, and probably undervolting the fans or going aftermarket will make it very quiet, one other source of noise is the PSU, i dont see you listed it on the reusing hardware, so not sure if you have one already or not, if you are looking for one, Corsair CP-9020066-UK RM Series RM450 80 Plus Gold 450W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

I didnt see a CPU cooler on the list, not sure if you are going stock, but one that its not that expensive that might be good in your case is Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B, cross check if it will fit with the choice of optical drive.

I didnt see if you have a dedicated GPU, from what i remeber the i5 750 didnt have a built in gpu.

Blade

Post by Blade » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:42 am

WAF... Fantastic, haha

Really great advice Abula, thanks so much.

Any other suggestions I can take a look at?