boring question Seasonic s12ii-430w + fan y2013

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cajhaj

boring question Seasonic s12ii-430w + fan y2013

Post by cajhaj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:12 am

hello
My adda fan started to make rattling noise :( I want to make fan switch, problem is, which one to get !?

I had to make temporary solution because it was ubearable, I made switch last week, I used Nexus case fan(d12sl)
I have it connected it to 12v molex (with noctua L.N.A reduction) which gives around 850rpm.

Is a bit noisy and with no control at all :( I don't have free fan header on mobo

this is needlessly too much for idle, ok for load, but there would be much better sound performance if I can control the fan.
[psu sucking air from outside the case, exhaust air is cool even at full load]

I really want to use PSU controlled fan header, but nexus fan is starting at 7v, so I cannot plug it to the psu fan header

according to this table [from spcr review]

DC Output (W) 20 42 64 91 150 201 252 299 429
Fan Voltage (V) 4.1 4.1 4.1 4.1 4.1 4.6 6.1 8.1 11.1

my idle is under 50w and full load 205w [prime95+furmark] I have amd 5770 now, I'll buy more watt hungry gpu at 1Q 2014
so maybe 250w is the target..

I have no idea which fan to get, I read thru many SPCR topics, but problem is that they are old and some fans are discontinued.

I wanted

scythe S-FLEX SFF21E - best option ? but discontinued
noctua s12b flx - maybe good ? but expensive, not sure about starting voltage, but it can be around 3.5v
noctua s12a flx - bad starting voltage - 4.5v not sure about source reliability
Scythe slip stream SY1225SL12LM-P 1300rpm - from what I read > only usable vertically ??? [found this info on some forum]
scythe Glide stream 1300rpm SY1225HB12M-P - looks good but really hard to buy one in my country

I'm googling it like crazy but cannot find anything viable.
Please save my poor psu and give me good advice, which to buy :)

thnx alot for all interest and sorry for my english

Abula

Re: boring question Seasonic s12ii-430w + fan y2013

Post by Abula » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:33 am

Be careful into what fan you use, i would try to get a fan as close speced as the original.

Try to check if you have access to Scythe Gentle Typhoons, they come in a lot of rpm version,

D1225C12B1AP-11 (500 rpm)
D1225C12B2AP-12 (800 rpm)
D1225C12B3AP-13 (1,150 rpm)
D1225C12B4AP-14 (1,450 rpm)
D1225C12B5AP-15 (1,850 rpm)

There are other versions, like 2150rpm AP00, and the very high industrial version AP29, AP30, AP31 3000rpm +.

The good thing about Gentle Tyhpoons is that they do use a real ball bearing, instead of the comon sleeve bearing that most fans have, this should help with the horizontal placement on the PSU. SPCR did review a couple of models and they seem to liked it even more than the Nexus, i leave you the review in case you are interested, Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright, from there they posted the FanXpert2 test for its range of operation,

Scythe gentle typhoons are among the best regarded for overclockers into heatsinks and rads, but they also do fine on case fans (i used 7 on my antec 1200 for couple of years), they even work better than a lot on case fans if you have a very restricted entrance like fan filters, doors, etc, not that it matters much to you since yours will be on PSU, but this is just to tell you that imo they are really good 3pin fans.

Which should you chose..... its hard to say, but in here i would try to find out the rpms of the original and chose the closest in the ones i listed above. Im not sure what ADDA model it comes, but in case is similar to the Replacing fan Corsair VX550, then something like
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM (D1225C12B5AP-15) should work, but if you want lower rpms you could go into others models, i still think would be better to try to mantain as close as you can to what the manufacturer design it.

cajhaj

Post by cajhaj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 am

Really thank you ! I didn't think about this one!
It's significantly cheaper than noctua, and specifications are great
I can get my hands on Scythe D1225C12B4AP-14 Gentle Typhoon 120mm, 1450 rpm

I hope it can be ok, my adda fan is ad1212mb-a71gl I think it has 2050rpm max [not sure if I can make this kind of calculation but 4.1v is around 35 percent from 12v so it can spin 35% of maximum rpm ? or is it not linear at all ?] if yes than adda originally has around 700rpm and scythe can have around 500 at idle ?]

Initial thought was that I can use some lower rpm model because I have my psu mounted the way it sucks fresh air.. ?

I'm really motivated to test it out :D but doesn't have equipment to measure exhaust temp or heatsink..

btw I have noctua nh-u9n SE2 which has 2x 3pin 92mm fans and my main board can only control one fan header by voltage [it has 2 headers] I have second, pwm only, header free [I have nexus d12sl as case intake fan and it's not controlled at all -used with noctua LNA]
so I just bought SY1225SL12LM-P 1300rpm and gonna swap nexus, i'll test it out and post some results, because I mentioned this model in my first post, so I'll gladly share some infos :]

cajhaj

Post by cajhaj » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 am

hi guys, sorry for delay on my responses, but I'm new here and cannot post immediately without admin permission. So really sorry.

As I wore I bought scythe slip stream SY1225SL12LM-P on Friday, and tested it other day. and I can tell that I'm not satisfied :[
I'm not sure if PWM version [which I bought is any different,] but it is definitely not quiet, what I mean it is ok for higher rpm, sound vs cfm seems to be ok but I hate its bearings :[ I like [and always had]super silent machines and this sound definitely stands out.
It's some kind of clicking sound.

not sure if my unit is faulty, but I have couple of nexus case fans and they are much much better for lower rpms where aerodynamic hum isn't an problem.
they are almost inaudiable, but slip stream scythe is definitely not
not that bad from greater distances..

so from what I found on spcr I'm not that convinced to buy scythe typhoon :[

"High quality build, heavy duty bearings and a smooth acoustic profile, excellent cooling to noise ratio. The 1450 RPM GT 120-14 was also tested, not quite as quiet and developed high pitch tonality when slowed down. 550 RPM #11 is probably too slow to be useful; the 1150 RPM #13 might be a great all-arounder. Officially discontinued but still in the market. Added Sept 2012"

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:43 pm

cajhaj wrote:hi guys, sorry for delay on my responses, but I'm new here and cannot post immediately without admin permission. So really sorry.

As I wore I bought scythe slip stream SY1225SL12LM-P on Friday, and tested it other day. and I can tell that I'm not satisfied :[
I'm not sure if PWM version [which I bought is any different,] but it is definitely not quiet, what I mean it is ok for higher rpm, sound vs cfm seems to be ok but I hate its bearings :[ I like [and always had]super silent machines and this sound definitely stands out.
It's some kind of clicking sound.

not sure if my unit is faulty, but I have couple of nexus case fans and they are much much better for lower rpms where aerodynamic hum isn't an problem.
they are almost inaudiable, but slip stream scythe is definitely not
not that bad from greater distances..
The model you posted is Scythe Slipstream PWM, its a decent fan, its one of the cheapest so i would assume the sleeve bearing doesnt play good horizontal, since its PWM its meant by design to be run on PWM signal, and you are running it on undervolted, in some fans it doesnt matter in others you get weird things like they stop under low voltage, or clicking etc.
cajhaj wrote:so from what I found on spcr I'm not that convinced to buy scythe typhoon :[

"High quality build, heavy duty bearings and a smooth acoustic profile, excellent cooling to noise ratio. The 1450 RPM GT 120-14 was also tested, not quite as quiet and developed high pitch tonality when slowed down. 550 RPM #11 is probably too slow to be useful; the 1150 RPM #13 might be a great all-arounder. Officially discontinued but still in the market. Added Sept 2012"
I still think the Gentle Typohoon 1850 would be a decent candidate, its close in RPMs to the ADDA, weather its quiet or not, it will depend on the voltage the PSU sends to it, what i would be worried is the starting voltages the PSU sends to the fan to spin up. Its up to you if you want another version or another fan, but depending on the conditions of the system, might be a gamble if the fan doesnt provide enough cooling as the original did, in PSU there is so little info from the manufacters that i personally would prefer to go with something similar in spec to whats being replaced. My suggestion if you have the budget is simply to replace the PSU, and avoid risking to little cooling or the fan being too loud for it, or not working horizontal, but if this is not an option, look for fan as close spec as you can find to the ADDA.

cajhaj

Post by cajhaj » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 am

Yes, I posted pwm slip stream fan, because I could not get non pwm model at that time.
but I forgot to mention a few things. I bought pwm version and for testing purposes I plugged it in pwm fan header, tried both orientations and all rpm range and its the same, bearing clicking noise is present for all speed and vertical/horizontal doesn't matter,

Fan also produce bigger vibrations than nexus, but its easily removed by silicone mounting things :) for the record It's not that loud and many user can like it, but it's inferior to nexus.. I would probably return it. I didn't make any test with voltage control, so it is possible that I cannot use it with psu fan header either.

new psu is not question of money, but I'm not fan of buying new psu.. I like the one I have, because it doesn't produce any pitch noise depend on load etc. and I simply won't buy new one just for fan which I can easily replace..

But I'm thinking about completely another way right now.

Like I said I have 2 fan headers on my mobo, 1voltage controlled [chassis header] 1 pwm controlled [cpu header], because I have only 3 pin noctua fans on my nh u9n se2 I had to use chassis header for my poor cpu [and I'm using Y splitter]

so cpu header is free and waiting for case intake fan controlled by the PWM
I'm just toying in my mind with possibility of buying 2 PWM controlled noctua 12cm fans, one as intake for case and second for PSU fan.
I'm not sure how does Y pwm spliter work, but it is presented in noctua bundle so I hope its ok... ?
Do I have to use exactly the same fans for pwm Y splitter ? how about rpm read ?

Fans can run around 500rpm idle and when the cpu temperature goes little bit higher it can jump up to 800 rpm and 1200rpm for really high temperatures. which my cpu can produce after some longer time in full load.
Or I can use LNA adapter for PSU fan and I hope it works ok with splitter. Because I thing psu works ok with 800rpm nexus but fresh air for my case is invaluable [for load]

what do you think about this option ?