Corsair RM Series intro'd

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Corsair RM Series intro'd

Post by merlin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:48 am

Yea it's funny like right after I made my last comment, I saw the 2 reviews from hexus and pc per on jonnyguru forums. xD Well I hope yours comes out soon even with the delay!

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Is it truly completely silent without any trace of whining or electrical noise whatsoever below 40% load?
Last edited by ggumdol on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 pm

ggumdol wrote:Is it trully completely silent without any trace of whining or electrical noise whatsoever below 40% load?
Supposedly: http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/there-is ... -supplies/

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd rather an ex-post result than an ex-ante supposition. I'm really eager to see reviews in JonnyGURU. Does their semi-fanless mode imply that RM450 will start to to spin from 450x0.4=180W DC not from 180W AC?

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:30 pm

ggumdol wrote:
I'd rather an ex-post result than an ex-ante supposition. I'm really eager to see reviews in JonnyGURU. Does their semi-fanless mode imply that RM450 will start to to spin from 450x0.4=180W DC not from 180W AC?
It's not really a supposition. Just trying to show some neutrality since I wrote that article.

There are already a lot of reviews:

PC Per (arlready posted in this thread): http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and- ... ply-Review
Hardware Heaven: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1 ... ction.html
Legit Reviews: http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-rm6 ... iew_124802
Kitguru: http://www.kitguru.net/components/power ... ly-review/
TweakTown: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5777/c ... index.html
TechPowerUp: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM850/

Jeremy's way backed up. I have no idea when he'll have his RM review live. But we never tested for noise. The load testers are pretty loud. The buzz would have to be REALLY BAD for us to hear it over the SunMoon.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:44 pm

jonnyGURU wrote:Jeremy's way backed up. I have no idea when he'll have his RM review live. But we never tested for noise. The load testers are pretty loud. The buzz would have to be REALLY BAD for us to hear it over the SunMoon.

Even so, anyway I am waiting for the Wolfie's gimmicks: here in Italy current Corsair's street pricing put the RM-series right into Seasonic X-Gold/Platinum-FL hunting lands, so expectations are rather high on these late puppies of the ol' Jolly Roger's gang.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:41 am

quest_for_silence wrote: Even so, anyway I am waiting for the Wolfie's gimmicks: here in Italy current Corsair's street pricing put the RM-series right into Seasonic X-Gold/Platinum-FL hunting lands...
That's pretty whack. Retailer must be making a killing. They're supposed to be priced in the neighborhood of a Seasonic G-Series or SilverStone Strider.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:42 am

jonnyGURU wrote:That's pretty whack. Retailer must be making a killing. They're supposed to be priced in the neighborhood of a Seasonic G-Series or SilverStone Strider.

Maybe prices will go down when more retailers (usually the ones in Corsair's "black list") will have the entire lineup: right now it's easy to find the 450W & 550W models only.

Both look like to not have an easy day: the first comes for about 1 euro more than Seasonic G-550, and 6 euros less than a Seasonic Platinum P400FL2 (it's better placed against the P460FL, which costs about 20% more); the latter 7 euros less than Seasonic X-650 KM3 and 10 euros MORE than a Cooler Master V700.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 pm

ggumdol wrote:Is it truly completely silent without any trace of whining or electrical noise whatsoever below 40% load?
I have my own ex post result here.

I was actually planning to buy a Corsair RM550 because the estimated total power consumption in my main rig must be less than 220W = 550W x 0.4. However, RM650 is temporarily cheaper than RM550 in this country and I ended up ordering an RM650. I have not yet been able to exceed 40% of 650W. I doubt if I ever will.

It's truly completely utterly literally silent without any trace of whining or electrical noise whatsoever. I compared noise characteristic of two PSUs, Seasonic Platinum Fanless 400W and Corsair RM650 by myself and there is no point in comparing them. RM650 is dead silent. Unless you are an ardent environmentalist (I'm not), you would better buy gold-rated Corsair RM series PSU than any platinum-rated Seasonic PSU.

I have been taking rather unfavourable stance towards Corsair. This experience has changed my stance greatly.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:20 pm

ggumdol wrote:you would better buy gold-rated Corsair RM series

Oddily on Ecova/PlugLoad website there's no evidence of any 80plus certification for the Corsair RM-series.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 am

jonnyGURU wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote: Even so, anyway I am waiting for the Wolfie's gimmicks: here in Italy current Corsair's street pricing put the RM-series right into Seasonic X-Gold/Platinum-FL hunting lands...
That's pretty whack. Retailer must be making a killing. They're supposed to be priced in the neighborhood of a Seasonic G-Series or SilverStone Strider.

As expexted, when "black-listed" Corsair resellers got their units, prices drop noticeably: currently the Corsair RM 450/550 went from 100/122 down to 77/85 euros per unit, nice quotes (Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550 goes for 81, Seasonic G-450/550 goes for 85/91, Silverstone Strider Gold 550W for 107).

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:55 am

quest_for_silence wrote:currently the Corsair RM 450/550 went from 100/122 down to 77/85 euros per unit, nice quotes (Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550 goes for 81, Seasonic G-450/550 goes for 85/91, Silverstone Strider Gold 550W for 107).
I bought RM650 at 102 Euro (after currency conversion). I couldn't hear ANYTHING even when my ears were literally touching the PSU. I'm really impressed with this Corsair PSU. It looks quite aesthetical and sturdy as well.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 am

ggumdol wrote:I bought RM650 at 102 Euro

At any rate the RM650 should be a different power supply than the RM450/550: I'm waiting to see whether or not there are actual noise/performance differences as well, by Jeremy (OklahomaWolf) & Mike (our MikeC).
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
ggumdol wrote:I bought RM650 at 102 Euro

At any rate the RM650 should be a different power supply than the RM450/550: I'm waiting to see whether or not there are actual noise/performance differences as well, by Jeremy (OklahomaWolf) & Mike (our MikeC).
Actually, the 450, 550 and 650 are all the same platform.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm

jonnyGURU wrote:Actually, the 450, 550 and 650 are all the same platform.

I stand corrected, thanks.

Pbryanw

Post by Pbryanw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm

I took a chance on the Corsair RM 750 and it's practically silent. It's quieter than my previous PSU, a Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W. I assume this is because I'm not exceeding the 40% load of the Corsair and the fan's not spinning up. At the same time I replaced my MSI graphics card with an Asus DirectCU II model and now I have a very, very, quiet computer :)

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:20 am

Recently picked up the 550w model myself, and it really is quiet - I can't hear it when I plug in the AC, nor when I load it up - not even transient noise as the load changes. I've yet to manage to get the fan to spin up, even with my 780 running some heavy 3D! Some of the modular cables were a bit awkward to plug in to the unit - I couldn't get half of the 24-pin atx connector to properly seat in the PSU-side socket - but generally a good experience with the unit so far. :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:00 am

jonnyGURU wrote:Jeremy's way backed up. I have no idea when he'll have his RM review live. But we never tested for noise. The load testers are pretty loud. The buzz would have to be REALLY BAD for us to hear it over the SunMoon.

And eventually "your" Jerermy scored! As usual, thanks for your reviews, very much appreciated.

So, as seen with several VX, TX and HX series, those Corsair RM looks like fairly solid units, even if with a big miss on quality control: I guess what Jeremy found were an isolated slip on banana peeling, or "a momentary lapse of reason", of a single CWT worker.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 am

quest_for_silence wrote:

And eventually "your" Jerermy scored! As usual, thanks for your reviews, very much appreciated.

So, as seen with several VX, TX and HX series, those Corsair RM looks like fairly solid units, even if with a big miss on quality control: I guess what Jeremy found were an isolated slip on banana peeling, or "a momentary lapse of reason", of a single CWT worker.
I'm picturing it as a guy standing up and screaming "I'm finished!" (only in Mandarin) and storming off leaving his position. Meanwhile.... RM650 PSUs just roll right past his empty chair....

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 am

Don't be shy - here's the review link.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:08 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Don't be shy - here's the review link.
I'm glad that they reviewed exactly the same unit, RM650, which I have been tinkering with for several weeks. Although the truth is that I must be assessing this product through my personal lens where the image is diffused by my personal subjective random experiences, RM650 indeed puts a sort of end to my insatiable hunger for silent computing.

Having said that, I do sense that Corsair Gold-Rated RM650 in load state (which in my rig must be dissipating around 180W) is slightly warmer than Seasonic Platinum-Rated Fanless 400W PSU, which might be detrimental to other configurations where a PSU is supposed to dissipate inside the chassis (In my TJ08-E, PSU doesn't interact with airflow inside the chassis and emits heat outward).

In order to do justice to Seasonic PSUs, I speculate that only their Platinum-rated PSUs have annoying electrical noise problems. That's probably why most people in SPCR are more or less satisfied with Seasonic Gold-rated PSUs whereas a few unfortunate people like me have been complaining about the whining of their Platinum PSUs.
Last edited by ggumdol on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:20 pm

ggumdol wrote:In order to do justice to Seasonic PSUs, I speculate that only their Platinum-rated PSUs have annoying electrical noise problems. That's probably why most people in SPCR are more or less satisfied with Seasonic Gold-rated PSUs where a few unfortunate people like me have been complaining about the whining of their Platinum PSUs.
Does that include Seasonic-made units sold by other brands? Because my Corsair AX750 is 80Plus Gold and it whines.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:24 pm

rpsgc wrote:
ggumdol wrote:In order to do justice to Seasonic PSUs, I speculate that only their Platinum-rated PSUs have annoying electrical noise problems. That's probably why most people in SPCR are more or less satisfied with Seasonic Gold-rated PSUs where a few unfortunate people like me have been complaining about the whining of their Platinum PSUs.
Does that include Seasonic-made units sold by other brands? Because my Corsair AX750 is 80Plus Gold and it whines.
Yes. Safe to say Seasonic and Seasonic made units. They tend to have the same problem for the same reason.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:06 pm

jonnyGURU wrote:Yes. Safe to say Seasonic and Seasonic made units. They tend to have the same problem for the same reason.

5VSB? Or is there another compelling reason, more graphic-card-related?

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
jonnyGURU wrote:Yes. Safe to say Seasonic and Seasonic made units. They tend to have the same problem for the same reason.

5VSB? Or is there another compelling reason, more graphic-card-related?
Other than the usual random buzz that you can hear in pretty much any brand of PSU out there, there are some PSUs that, as of late, buzz more on the +5VSB than others have in the past. With EU requirements to reduce vampire power, +5VSB circuits had to be completely revamped and this change created some buzzing in some PSU models. Certainly it's not limited to Seasonic products either.

Alex11223

Post by Alex11223 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

Is it true that RM 650W is louder than 550W? Or which of 550, 650 and 750 is the most silent?

Actually 550 is enough for me but I fear that with i7+770GTX+2 HDD, 1 SSD it may be more than 40% in idle so it won't stop the fans? (by idle I mean not full idle but something like webbrowser (with 50-100 tabs opened :)) + ms office and so on).

JaRoD

Post by JaRoD » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:37 am

I'm curious about how loud it gets when the fan does start. My current psu is silent enough up to about 250w powerdraw from the wall then it ramps up quickly. I have my 7950 undervolted to be able to stay under that limit. Looking into the future it doesn't exactly look like graphics cards will draw less power the next few years...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 am

No one has mentioned the hardocp review, which failed their 750w sample: Basically, in a hot low airflow environment under high load (50%), the fan failed to turn on before OTP was triggered. On top of that, "If we couple that with some of the unknown and/or low end component selections in this unit, we quickly can see that, even if this unit had passed all of our load tests, there simply would be no reason to buy this unit as there better options out there. If an enthusiast wants a really quiet power supply, they probably are going to want one that at least is competitive with other products not the one that is bringing up the rear."

Corsair's response:
we’ve implemented a design change that will allow our RM Series PSUs to go the extra mile and endure the extreme synthetic test conditions of the HardOCP test lab.... We have changed the value of the resistor between the thermistor and the fan controller so the fan turns on much sooner than the temperature that would trigger OTP. Therefore the fan should always turn on before OTP is triggered; preventing the PSU from shutting down before it is necessary.... This change has been implemented in all RM PSUs produced since mid October. While we honestly believe even extreme users will never run into the issue encountered during HardOCP’s synthetic test, those end users that want to know if their RM can endure HardOCP’s torture test can identify the updated PSUs by a lot code of 1341 or higher.

Probably not a big deal for silencers w/ a bit of sense. No one would run a system that draws 385W DC w/o a case fan or 2 running at decent speeds.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 am

Alex11223 wrote:Is it true that RM 650W is louder than 550W? Or which of 550, 650 and 750 is the most silent?

Actually 550 is enough for me but I fear that with i7+770GTX+2 HDD, 1 SSD it may be more than 40% in idle so it won't stop the fans? (by idle I mean not full idle but something like webbrowser (with 50-100 tabs opened :)) + ms office and so on).
Your system's stressed load power is <360W, gaming load is probably 300W or less. Web browsing/ MS Office and other low stress 2D loads is nearly idling and well under 100W...probably closer to 50W.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Alex11223 wrote:Is it true that RM 650W is louder than 550W? Or which of 550, 650 and 750 is the most silent?

Your system's stressed load power is <360W, gaming load is probably 300W or less. Web browsing/ MS Office and other low stress 2D loads is nearly idling and well under 100W...probably closer to 50W.
Yep. Think about a laptop. Think about how much you can do with a laptop. Now look at the power brick. Even the big ones are only 120W. ;)