Advice on shipping PCs with large/heavy heatsinks

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Re: Advice on shipping PCs with large/heavy heatsinks

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:13 pm

thierry. wrote:Hi Doveman. Did he receive it in one piece? What did you finally use?
Answered 5-6 posts up.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:26 pm

thierry. wrote:Hi Doveman
Did he receive it in one piece?
What did you finally use?
Hi thierry,

Yeah, you must have missed my post on 27 September but it arrived safely thank god. I'm not sure if I was more worried about it getting damaged or my brother being out and Parcelforce leaving it with a random neighbour, so I checked that my brother would be in and tracked the parcel so I could let him know roughly when it should arrive. Was a bit worried when the signature didn't look anything like his but one worried phonecall later I was able to breathe again :)

I used xan_user's suggestion of a cardboard panel screwed to the fan and taped to the case and that seemed to work very well to hold it all secure and was easy enough for my brother to remove (once I'd explained what he needed to do).

I thought I'd got it more or less setup perfect before I sent it but I've been helping him tweak things ever since. It turned out that all the CD/DVD burning programs I'd installed were missing one or more features he needed, so I've put Nero on there now, which is what he used to use and suits him perfectly. I was trying to avoid installing Nero as it's got rather bloated in recent years but I remembered I had a micro version of Nero 8 which is ideal for him. I'd built him a Raspberry Pi running XBMC to make up for the fact that his new PC can't connect to his old CRT TV to play videos, which his old one did, so I've also been having to help him set that up and work out how to use it and it then turned out to be incapable of playing some of his videos (some proprietary MS Mpeg-4 crap) but thankfully I worked out that he can run Plex Server on the PC and the PlexXBMC on the RPi and it transcodes them on the fly for him, so we don't have to mess about converting them all :)

There's been a lot of errors in the Service log relating to the DVD drive but that's probably just a dodgy cable, so I got him to order a couple of replacements which has hopefully sorted that out (need to call him to check). I did have the same type of cables in one of my PCs which needed replacing quite recently for the same reason, so I guess they were just cheap rubbish!

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 am

My bad. Sorry I missed the line where you said it was arrived.
I thought you had some problem on CMOS, at your place. Then reading about sending your brother to you. (I understood "to take the PC with him")

Good that it arrived well. It's never easy with our family when they don't know much about computer, but we still want to help saving few bucks...
Same with my dad who got his computer fried and can't manage a troubleshooting to know if it is the PSU, the motherboard, the HDD, etc. even following my step by step.
Ending up with a new PC from the closest shop.

Like you, I'm an extensive user of Teamviewer. :wink: