It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controllers?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Hello:

Are the be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 series power supplies the only ones available with integrated fan controllers?

I have an old Antec 400 W power supply that came with my Sonata II case that had a rudimentary fan controller - it consisted of a single Molex marked "FAN ONLY". It was quite effective at keeping a fan quiet. It would be nice to have this again, I don't mind my fans ramping up when the power supply gets hot.

I suppose I could just use a fan controller (I'm looking at a Fractal Design Define R4 that comes with one) but this is a nice automated way of doing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:54 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4603
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
While the DPP 10's fan controller is a nice extra, I don't think I'd rely upon the PSU temp to control case fans. Let the PSU temp control the PSU's fan :)

Every single motherboard made has a fan controller of some sort built into the bios or as a s/w utility, if you want automated control.

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
CA_Steve wrote:
Every single motherboard made has a fan controller of some sort built into the bios or as a s/w utility, if you want automated control.


To control multiple case fans, do you use a splitter connected to the system fan header?

They don't seem too common. The only one I can find is this one:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-waypwmsplitter-sata.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2997
Location: ITALY
Fraoch wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:
Every single motherboard made has a fan controller of some sort built into the bios or as a s/w utility, if you want automated control.


To control multiple case fans, do you use a splitter connected to the system fan header?

They don't seem too common. The only one I can find is this one:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-waypwmsplitter-sata.aspx


That splitter can control only 4-pins PWM fans, and all together (with reference to just one temperature). The Akasa Flexa is another example, but IIRC there are several ones. Such a splitter is useful in order to not overload a fan header (so it can be used just with PWM fans, while connecting multiple fans to a single 3-pins header may blow the header or the mobo itself), and it worths to mention that case fans are mostly 3-pins DC type (not PWM).

Broadly speaking, in order to control multiple case fans you do need multiple fan headers: check how many fan headers there are onto your motherboard, and if it doesn't sport enough, then you need an external fan controller such as the Scythe Kaze Server and the likes (or a splitter, if you have just one temperature sensor with a PWM header, but it is unlikely).

But this is just the hardware side of things: other than that, you do need a software to control the fan headers, it can be either built-in your UEFI/BIOS or a dedicated program like SpeedFan.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Thank you! I'll be changing my motherboard - mostly for other reasons, but it looks like the one I want to change it to has 4X4-pin PWM fan headers - one for the CPU fan and 3 for case fans.

Which brings up another question about 3-pin DC fans in 4-pin PWM headers, but that's a question for another subforum. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1878
Location: Guatemala
Fraoch wrote:
Thank you! I'll be changing my motherboard - mostly for other reasons, but it looks like the one I want to change it to has 4X4-pin PWM fan headers - one for the CPU fan and 3 for case fans.
Just be careful into what motherboard you chose, most motherboards only have one true 4pin PWM fan header, most of the time is the CPU header, the rest even if they 4pin phisically, they are 3pin in disguise. There are some that do come with 2, like MSI (CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2) and AsRock (CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN1) in some of their line of motherboards. Some say that intel mobos have all true PWM, i cant say this for sure, as in my mini itx build i only used 2, and both were PWM fan headers, but never really tried an ATX mobo with all the fan headers. This is why would be best for you to chose the motherboard depending on the features you want and the price you willing to pay, and just use those PWM fan splitters if you want to go full PWM fans.

Fraoch wrote:
Which brings up another question about 3-pin DC fans in 4-pin PWM headers, but that's a question for another subforum. :wink:
On Asus motherboards, they only have one true PWM fan header, CPU_FAN (CPU_OPT is just a mirror), but on asus motherboards you can enter the bios, go to fan control and change the Q-FAN from AUTO to ADVANCE, and it will make the PWM fan header into a voltage controlled fan header, like this you can use any 3pin fan on it and control it via FanXpert2. Other motherboards i havent tested if there is a feature like that, but in most cases there is only 1 true pwm header and the rest are 4pin fakes, but its not a big deal either, just gotta understand how is your motherboard design and buy the correct fans for each header.

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Abula wrote:
Fraoch wrote:
Thank you! I'll be changing my motherboard - mostly for other reasons, but it looks like the one I want to change it to has 4X4-pin PWM fan headers - one for the CPU fan and 3 for case fans.
Just be careful into what motherboard you chose, most motherboards only have one true 4pin PWM fan header, most of the time is the CPU header, the rest even if they 4pin phisically, they are 3pin in disguise. There are some that do come with 2, like MSI (CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2) and AsRock (CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN1) in some of their line of motherboards. Some say that intel mobos have all true PWM, i cant say this for sure, as in my mini itx build i only used 2, and both were PWM fan headers, but never really tried an ATX mobo with all the fan headers. This is why would be best for you to chose the motherboard depending on the features you want and the price you willing to pay, and just use those PWM fan splitters if you want to go full PWM fans.


I'm now considering a Gigabyte motherboard - I would go with ASUS but I can't because they removed an important feature I was looking for. The Gigabyte motherboard implies that the CPU_FAN header is PWM - it even identifies each pin:

GND
+12 V/ Speed Control
Sense
Speed Control

but the 4-pin SYS_FAN1 is not PWM:

GND
+12 V/ Speed Control
Sense
Reserved

and then there are the 3-pin SYS_FAN2 and PWR_FAN headers, which don't even seem to be voltage controlled from the pin description:

GND
+12 V
Sense

The case I'm considering (Fractal Design Define R4) has a rudimentary fan controller. It might do the job for a while but I might go to something like this:

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/produ ... ies/recon/

A bit gaudy but there are much worse ones and it will be closed behind the R4's door.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Are the be quiet! PSes the only ones with fan controller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 am
Posts: 119
Location: Vienna - Austria
Abula wrote:
Just be careful into what motherboard you chose, most motherboards only have one true 4pin PWM fan header, most of the time is the CPU header, the rest even if they 4pin phisically, they are 3pin in disguise.


So true!

Since I am reading a lot of interesting ideas around here, yesterday I opened my motherboard manual to check.
I was wondering why my Bios was not changing the speed of my case fan.

I have a 4 pins SYS_FAN, but just 3 active pins. (which is normal, considering my cheap board.)

_________________
(sold in Dec. 2013) Temjin TJ08-E / Be Quiet Straight Power E9 400W / GA-B75M-D3H / i3-3225 / 8GB / SSD 120GB / HDD 1TB / running Mac OS - Hackintosh


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group