Need opinions on my quiet gaming rig!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Markus91

Need opinions on my quiet gaming rig!

Post by Markus91 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi guys! I don't plan on overclocking or installing more than 1 GPU. I'm considering watercooling, but would rather avoid it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($212.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: MSI H87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($171.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($519.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($18.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.34 @ Mwave)
Other: Fan Controller ($25.99)
Total: $1392.94

CA_Steve

Re: Need opinions on my quiet gaming rig!

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi and welcome to SPCR.

Nice build list.

CPU cooler: In general, liquid cooling is only worth it if you are overvolting (aka seriously overclocking) the CPU. Otherwise, it's just noisier than a decent air cooler and costs more. The NH-U9B is nice. For a quad core Haswell, I'd lean toward the NH-U12S, if you want Noctua. Scythe Mugen 4, is top notch too for a very reasonable price.

GPU: What's your monitor resolution? What games are driving you to the GTX 780?

PSU: With the GTX 780, your max stressed load is ~370W. So, the RM 650 is a good fit in terms of fan noise at gaming load. If you end up with a GPU in the 170W weight class, like the GTX 760, then you could easily drop to the RM 550.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:55 pm

I have a similar build to what you trying to build. I have a few suggestion,

1) Forget the fan controller, save yourself $25.99. Either use the built in fan controller on the R4, or if you are willing to go with PWM fan instead of 3pin fans, use the MSI bios to set them up. Also the R4 is a door styled case, imo installing a fan controller and opening every time you need to change the speed will get a little annoying, when you can do all in the bios, set it and foget it.

2) CPU cooler, i dont like using 92mm fans on a smaller surface area like the Noctua NH-9B SE. You already moving into 140mm case fans, consider the $26 that you saved on the fan controller and investing a little more into a better cooler, at least go with 120mm fan type of cooler, like Scythe Mugen 4 or Thermalright HR02 Macho both are very good options, reviewed by SPCR got editors choice, it will cost your $6 more or around but well worth the cost imo. And if you like so much Noctua, you can always change the TY147 for a NF-A15 PWM, the frame and size is almost identical, just the noctua will drop a lot lower than the thermarlght.

3) If you do 1, then consider changing the FLX for PWM version, Noctua NF-A14 PWM, it will be $8 more at the end, but you will be able to drop the fan on the MSI bios to 225rpms or around there, on pure bios, and your choice into how you decide to ramp them up in the bios, personally i like 12.5% until 50C and then 37.5% until 80C, but you can establish your own graph into how you like it. You can also setup the CPU with a separate graph, with MSI you have 2x true 4pin PWM headers (CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2), but to power all 3 fans you will need a PWM splitter, i used the swiftech 8 splitter, but you can get whatever you like there are akasa models, gelid, evercool, and even some generics on amazon like PWM Female to 4 x PWM Male Computer Case Fan Splitter Power Connector Black Sleeved Adapter Cable.

You can check my signature, you will see a link for my build, in there i explain a little more about the MSI, if you have any doubts let me know.

Markus91

Post by Markus91 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 am

CA_Steve wrote:Hi and welcome to SPCR.

Nice build list.

CPU cooler: In general, liquid cooling is only worth it if you are overvolting (aka seriously overclocking) the CPU. Otherwise, it's just noisier than a decent air cooler and costs more. The NH-U9B is nice. For a quad core Haswell, I'd lean toward the NH-U12S, if you want Noctua. Scythe Mugen 4, is top notch too for a very reasonable price.

GPU: What's your monitor resolution? What games are driving you to the GTX 780?

PSU: With the GTX 780, your max stressed load is ~370W. So, the RM 650 is a good fit in terms of fan noise at gaming load. If you end up with a GPU in the 170W weight class, like the GTX 760, then you could easily drop to the RM 550.
CPU cooler: Both of your suggestion seems to be louder than my pick... Silence really is my first priority..

GPU: I run 1920x1080, but I plan on getting a better monitor as well. And, when it comes to games, I'd just like to be able to play whatever I please.. BF4 maybe ^^ And, silence again is something that made me pick the 780 msi version ^^

Abula wrote:I have a similar build to what you trying to build. I have a few suggestion,

1) Forget the fan controller, save yourself $25.99. Either use the built in fan controller on the R4, or if you are willing to go with PWM fan instead of 3pin fans, use the MSI bios to set them up. Also the R4 is a door styled case, imo installing a fan controller and opening every time you need to change the speed will get a little annoying, when you can do all in the bios, set it and foget it.

2) CPU cooler, i dont like using 92mm fans on a smaller surface area like the Noctua NH-9B SE. You already moving into 140mm case fans, consider the $26 that you saved on the fan controller and investing a little more into a better cooler, at least go with 120mm fan type of cooler, like Scythe Mugen 4 or Thermalright HR02 Macho both are very good options, reviewed by SPCR got editors choice, it will cost your $6 more or around but well worth the cost imo. And if you like so much Noctua, you can always change the TY147 for a NF-A15 PWM, the frame and size is almost identical, just the noctua will drop a lot lower than the thermarlght.

3) If you do 1, then consider changing the FLX for PWM version, Noctua NF-A14 PWM, it will be $8 more at the end, but you will be able to drop the fan on the MSI bios to 225rpms or around there, on pure bios, and your choice into how you decide to ramp them up in the bios, personally i like 12.5% until 50C and then 37.5% until 80C, but you can establish your own graph into how you like it. You can also setup the CPU with a separate graph, with MSI you have 2x true 4pin PWM headers (CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2), but to power all 3 fans you will need a PWM splitter, i used the swiftech 8 splitter, but you can get whatever you like there are akasa models, gelid, evercool, and even some generics on amazon like PWM Female to 4 x PWM Male Computer Case Fan Splitter Power Connector Black Sleeved Adapter Cable.

You can check my signature, you will see a link for my build, in there i explain a little more about the MSI, if you have any doubts let me know.
1: Fan controller forgotten!

2: All the CPU coolers you linked seems to be louder than the one I got in my build... Silence is my #1 priority.. :lol:

3: I'm not very computer savy, this is my first build... And google translate didn't exactly help.. So I have no idea what you're telling me... :lol: Sorry, you're going to have to dumb it down. :shock:

laststop

Post by laststop » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I would go withe the noctua nh-u14s. Gonna have 140mm everywhere else might as well on the cpu too. You can really lower the speed a lot and have silent operation.