Logic Supply LGX ML300 Fanless NUC

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Logic Supply LGX ML300 Fanless NUC

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm

BlueLineSwinger

Re: Logic Supply LGX ML300 Fanless NUC

Post by BlueLineSwinger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Another negative is that, unlike the Intel kits, these do not appear to have an IR receiver. This would make them less appealing as a HTPC case.

And I still would like to see a case with the power supply built in. I already have too many power bricks to contend with. One designed like this that could effectively dissipate the PSU's heat without a fan would be great.

johannes

Post by johannes » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:01 am

page 2 of the review wrote:Delta Electronics external 19VDC 65W AC/DC adapter with AC cable. The Delta runs on 100~240VAC, outputs 12VDC,
I think you might have gotten one of these two numbers wrong. My PicoPSUs run on 12V, but to the best of my knowledge Intel thin mini-itx boards (and I suppose the NUC, too) take 19V.

To the article: I like the direction in which this is going. Put a Bay Trail Atom in there, use a smaller power brick and add a second LAN connector and you might have my ideal portable NAS/home server.

All the ARM boards either don't feature USB 3, need a lot of patches to the Linux kernel and closed source components, want to be a phone (DragonBoard), are too slow or all of the above. Intel is at least supported by Linux out of the box and companies like Jetway offer boards very close to what I want for acceptable* prices.

* It's a hobby. Paying ~240 EUR for a comparatively underpowered board like this is perfectely fine. If only it was thin mini-itx and used Bay Trail (low power and no nightmare PowerVR graphics)...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 am

johannes wrote:
page 2 of the review wrote:Delta Electronics external 19VDC 65W AC/DC adapter with AC cable. The Delta runs on 100~240VAC, outputs 12VDC,
I think you might have gotten one of these two numbers wrong. My PicoPSUs run on 12V, but to the best of my knowledge Intel thin mini-itx boards (and I suppose the NUC, too) take 19V.
Yes, you're right. Corrected: 19V.

As to the IR port, I can't say I share BlueLineSwinger's sentiments: IR remotes are such a PITA, RF remotes are so much more useful than line-of-sight IR. Any mini-keyboard type remote comes with its own RF USB dongle anyway.

John.Logic
-- Vendor --

Post by John.Logic » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Great review as always!

Re BlueLineSwinger: Unfortunately the IR receiver is only available on the Haswell boards, and the Haswell boards are laid out a smidgen different so they don't fit in the ML300 case. The next in the ML300 series (the ML320) will carry the Haswell and is slated to be available by the end of the year. Hope that helps!

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:57 am

But if you are using this in your Home Theater setup then it makes sense to use IR since everything else uses IR. You can't generally control your TV and AVR with an RF remote. It will be nice when we have a day when we can use IP to control everything but I don't think we are there yet.

I wonder how this system will compare to an HD Plex H1 with a thin mini-ITX board and an i3 Haswell CPU?

I built a totally passive system two years ago with their H3.S board, a miniITX mobo, IR and an i3-2100 CPU that cost $680 w/o a Win license. The H1 is cheaper as are SSDs so you could probably build such a system for about $500 today.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:33 am

wayner wrote:I wonder how this system will compare to an HD Plex H1 with a thin mini-ITX board and an i3 Haswell CPU?
The system reviewed uses an Ivy Bridge, but the D54250WYB and D34010WYB boards, which have a SATA port, are Haswell. So no need to wonder, you can just get a Haswell if you want.

Personally, I doubt there's any perceivable difference for HTPC applications... except one thing I neglected to discuss: The board in the sample supports Displayport 1.1a, which isn't enough to handle 4K TV. The WYB boards mentioned above support DP 1.2 needded for 4K. Relevant if you are an early adopter or have plans for 4K display some time soon.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:42 am

Probably true but Haswell is better at high quality encoding with Quick Sync processing if you plan to do that on your HTPC.

iwantaquietone

Post by iwantaquietone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm

The day the Logic Supply LGX ML320 Fanless NUC was "in stock", this item Logic Supply LGX ML300 Fanless NUC was no longer in stock. However, I just noticed the 300 is back in stock.

BTW, I ordered a nicely equipped 320 recently, and it is on its way. Can't wait to get it in and put it through its paces.