Thermalright revises TRUE Spirit and Macho

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Thermalright revises TRUE Spirit and Macho

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:36 pm

via Techpowerup

Rev A versions have nickel plated base and heat pipes, "a mounting system that no longer requires a backplate" (hmm), and revised fan mount for the TRUE Spirit 120M.

Wish they had also replaced/fixed the fan. :)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Thermalright revises TRUE Spirit and Macho

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Second that on the fan. "No backplate" sounds bad - they got introduced and then spread widely for a good reason, and that reason is the pressure and torque a heavy cooler and its mounting system creates.

"Heavy" here in the context of Intel's recommended maximum cooler weight of something like 300 g? :lol:

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:36 am

I wonder whether newer revision can keep up with old version? It looks like the new True Spirit is becoming smaller, so heat conduction surface may also get the axe.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

*Corrected 28th Nov.

Hope to see the test of Macho 120 and hear about this new mounting also.

The ability to run at 600rpm looks good for low power CPU, correct?
Last edited by thierry. on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:30 pm

Judging by my own testing - the results are in my signature, idle & load with cooler & case RPMs for both - 300-600 RPM is plenty for even a midrange CPU (77 W IB i5) with a proper cooler.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks for the info Das_Saunamies.
I really need to look for a good heatsink. My current i3-3225 with stock intel is running a lousy 1200rpm at idle. How crazy!
(and I am writing on the forum of Silent PCs.... :mrgreen: Shame on my, I should not even be allowed here. :lol: )

I just realize now, that I was comparing the HR-02 Macho and the new Macho 120 Rev A.
I did not know there was already a Macho 120.

They give only one value for the noise level, Macho 120: 25dBA
Does it mean it is 25dBA also when running at 600rpm? :shock:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:32 am

Glad to help! And we all came here wanting, and were satisfied as we stayed. Wouldn't need all this if everything was silent already. :mrgreen:

dB ratings are usually unreliable at best, so wouldn't worry too much. The manufacturers announce whatever: minimum RPM dBA, maximum dBA, average dBA... and they measure however they please. I would not pay any attention to what it says about noise on the packaging - it's all marketing.

PS. The i3 you have is pretty low-power indeed. At 55 W TDP you can get away with a compact heatsink easily; something like the Thermalright True Spirit 120M (Thermalright site, SPCR review of the first model) should serve well.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:48 am

Ok, so no need to pay too much attention to what they say / sell us.
But the ability to run at low rpm seems important, for lowering the noise.

I was already discussing the HR-02 Macho and Mugen 4, in that topic for my future build.
Bit by bit, I realize that I should also look at my current one, which doesnt sound anymore silent, the more I read around here. :D

Thanks for suggesting the True Spirit 120M.
Its just 10€ cheaper than the HR-02 Macho and Macho 120. I don't mind pay a bit more.

I was asking about this Macho 120, because it runs as low as 600rpm. Compared to the HR-02 Macho at 900rpm minimum.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:57 am

That's the stock fan's RPM range, and Thermalright doesn't ship the best fans with the coolers (think the 140 mm might be the sole exception). As the fan probably needs swapping, that little price difference might become relevant - 10 € goes a long way when buying a fan.

Once your setup is truly quiet or even silent, the details like fan sound quality (buzzing, clicking, turbulence, oscillation etc.) start to matter even more.