my 3-yo gigabyte ultradurable motherboard died

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

my 3-yo gigabyte ultradurable motherboard died

Post by dan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm

i owned a GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1) with 100% solid japanese capacitors purchased 2010

anyhow i tried turning it on and it did not post no video and it rebooted 3 times then stops booting. no power.

is there any way to test if the motherboad is even having power? there's no power led.

i have a cosair 450watt PSU

i have no idea why this happened so suddently.

i tried contacting gigabyte and i got this reply
[email protected]
To Me
Today at 3:28 PM
Dear Customer,

We received your RMA request REF13B27072 for your warranty service. Unfortunately, your request was declined.
The most common reasons why it was declined are:
‧ Out of warranty
‧ Incorrect Serial Number/Invoice Number
‧ Duplicate request
‧ Non North America return shipping address

For more specific details, please use the following link to inquire about your RMA:http://rma.gigabyteusa.com/DirectRMA/En ... rchRMA.asp

Remark section will display exact reason why your request was declined.
Thank you for your attention.
im not happy this happened. :(

any idea on what i can do?

washu

Re: my 3-yo gigabyte ultradurable motherboard died

Post by washu » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Do you have a PC speaker hooked up? Do you get a beep code?

If you completely turn off the power for a while then turn it back on does it do the 3 reboot thing again? If so then there is a good chance the board is ok. It's trying to boot, but something critical like the CPU or RAM is bad. Swap those if you can, try swapping the PS as well.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:03 pm

washu wrote:Do you have a PC speaker hooked up? Do you get a beep code?

If you completely turn off the power for a while then turn it back on does it do the 3 reboot thing again? If so then there is a good chance the board is ok. It's trying to boot, but something critical like the CPU or RAM is bad. Swap those if you can, try swapping the PS as well.
hi thanks for replying - no i don't have a pc speaker. when i do what u say it doesn't reboot at all. :(

i realize i want a MB w/ power LED to determine if it is powered.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Have you tried pulling the BIOS battery with the power unplugged? A corrupted BIOS can lead to this. It's not a good sign and I have seen it before as a sign of unreliability on some mobos.

washu

Post by washu » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:43 pm

If you are not getting any sign of life at all then swap the PS to try. Disconnect/remove everything except CPU/RAM/Video. Even try without video, it should at least turn on if the board/CPU/PS are good. Basically you need to narrow down the issue by swapping out components. If you use known good for everything else then you know it is the MB.

A MB power light doesn't tell you much other than it is getting +5V standby from the PS. The PS could be completely hosed otherwise and still turn the light on. It's not that useful as a diagnostic tool.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:27 pm

happy thanksgiving

edh washu

my antec case doesn't have a speaker but i did remove the battery completely and i reset the cmos using the jumper.

i then turned on the power. without pushing the power button, the motherboard led flashes off and on.

the fan turns on for a second and turns off, flashing between the two.

progress i think.

it doesnt boot just motherobard led flashes on and off. it does power to this extent. i removed memory sticks but vga card and cpu are installed.

i do not have to press the power button. as soon as i plug it into the wall the led fan and led on motherboard flash on and off.