Your opinion on this build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

L. Beau Grees

Your opinion on this build?

Post by L. Beau Grees » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello All, I already have a Fractal Design Define Mini case, and a Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU. I was going to take my time researching the other components, but along came Black Friday, and I really wanted to take advantage of the prices, so I ordered the following, and would like some opinions on it:

Gigabyte Z87M-D3H 111.10
Core i7 4770K 299.99
Noctua NH-D14 Cooler 69.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 65.99
Intel 530 Series SATA 6GB/S 120GB SSD 89.49
with free shipping. I'll take my time deciding on (or if) getting a video card.

In particular, I didn't have any time to research the Noctua cooler for this build, but took it as it was offered at a $20 discount when purchased with the i7--is it a good choice?

And, any recommendations on a 2TB hard drive would be very welcome--if you read the reviews on Newegg, none of them are any good!

Abula

Re: Your opinion on this build?

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 pm

L. Beau Grees wrote:In particular, I didn't have any time to research the Noctua cooler for this build, but took it as it was offered at a $20 discount when purchased with the i7--is it a good choice?
Noctua NH-D14 is a twin tower cooler that was released a long time, but still holds its own, its a very good cooler, should handle the i7 fine.
L. Beau Grees wrote:And, any recommendations on a 2TB hard drive would be very welcome--if you read the reviews on Newegg, none of them are any good!
WD Green have been among the favorite drives for SPCR, so thats my suggestion go with WD Green 2tb. The WD 3tb red also has gotten decent reviews in terms of noise.

L. Beau Grees

Re: Your opinion on this build?

Post by L. Beau Grees » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Abula wrote:
L. Beau Grees wrote:In particular, I didn't have any time to research the Noctua cooler for this build, but took it as it was offered at a $20 discount when purchased with the i7--is it a good choice?
Noctua NH-D14 is a twin tower cooler that was released a long time, but still holds its own, its a very good cooler, should handle the i7 fine.
From the reviews I see that it is huge--I hope it will fit in the Define Mini.
Abula wrote:
L. Beau Grees wrote:And, any recommendations on a 2TB hard drive would be very welcome--if you read the reviews on Newegg, none of them are any good!
WD Green have been among the favorite drives for SPCR, so thats my suggestion go with WD Green 2tb. The WD 3tb red also has gotten decent reviews in terms of noise.
As it turns out, the WD Green 2TB is what I picked up on the weekend!

Hope all the rest of the components work well together, as didn't have a lot of time for research... but I think they were all good prices ($CDN).