Corsair RM Series intro'd

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

sampo

Re: Corsair RM Series intro'd

Post by sampo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 am

Got a 650W version a couple days ago. The unit seems to emit buzz or whine when the system is powered off, enabling ErP support in BIOS does seem to reduce the noise quite a bit though. Turning system power on cures the problem for a some reason. Not sure if there's variance between different RM PSUs. It's really not an issue for my use case though. I guess I would have wanted to try also a passive Seasonic, however based on reports those seem to emit whine all the time.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 am

sampo wrote:Got a 650W version a couple days ago. The unit seems to emit buzz or whine when the system is powered off, enabling ErP support in BIOS does seem to reduce the noise quite a bit though. Turning system power on cures the problem for a some reason. Not sure if there's variance between different RM PSUs. It's really not an issue for my use case though. I guess I would have wanted to try also a passive Seasonic, however based on reports those seem to emit whine all the time.
Then that's probably a defective unit. They designed the +5VSB circuit of the RM and chose the components used in that circuit to both pass ErP2013 requirements AND emit no noise.

Your outlet is properly grounded, right? And by "proper", I mean it's actually grounded and doesn't just have a socket for the ground pin.

sampo

Post by sampo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:57 am

jonnyGURU wrote:
sampo wrote:Your outlet is properly grounded, right? And by "proper", I mean it's actually grounded and doesn't just have a socket for the ground pin.
The PSU has been plugged into an ungrounded outlet, I just tried also a properly grounded outlet and turned ErP off - end result easily audible buzz and whine. S/N starts with 1333.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:24 pm

sampo wrote:
jonnyGURU wrote:
sampo wrote:Your outlet is properly grounded, right? And by "proper", I mean it's actually grounded and doesn't just have a socket for the ground pin.
The PSU has been plugged into an ungrounded outlet, I just tried also a properly grounded outlet and turned ErP off - end result easily audible buzz and whine. S/N starts with 1333.
It doesn't matter what the serial number starts with as there is no "known issue" of buzzing with any of the RM series. Like I said, they selected components for the +5VSB circuit to meet ErP 2013 requirements AND be completely silent. I'd get an RMA.

sampo

Post by sampo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will report back when the replacement arrives.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm

It must be a defective unit. I would definitely get it RMA'd. I was so satisfied with Corsair RM650 that I even ordered Corsair RM450 for another rig of mine. Both of them are literally silent. In fact, they practically redefined the definition of silent PSU for me.
sampo wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will report back when the replacement arrives.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:42 am

MikeC wrote:No one has mentioned the hardocp review, which failed their 750w sample: Basically, in a hot low airflow environment under high load (50%), the fan failed to turn on before OTP was triggered. On top of that, "If we couple that with some of the unknown and/or low end component selections in this unit, we quickly can see that, even if this unit had passed all of our load tests, there simply would be no reason to buy this unit as there better options out there. If an enthusiast wants a really quiet power supply, they probably are going to want one that at least is competitive with other products not the one that is bringing up the rear."

Corsair's response:
we’ve implemented a design change that will allow our RM Series PSUs to go the extra mile and endure the extreme synthetic test conditions of the HardOCP test lab.... We have changed the value of the resistor between the thermistor and the fan controller so the fan turns on much sooner than the temperature that would trigger OTP. Therefore the fan should always turn on before OTP is triggered; preventing the PSU from shutting down before it is necessary.... This change has been implemented in all RM PSUs produced since mid October. While we honestly believe even extreme users will never run into the issue encountered during HardOCP’s synthetic test, those end users that want to know if their RM can endure HardOCP’s torture test can identify the updated PSUs by a lot code of 1341 or higher.

Probably not a big deal for silencers w/ a bit of sense. No one would run a system that draws 385W DC w/o a case fan or 2 running at decent speeds.
"In an effort to improve our products for all of our users, we have updated the RM750 and RM850 to resolve this issue. The thermistor circuit that is used to measure the temperature for the fan controller and OTP has been changed in all RM750 and RM850 PSU’s moving forward. An additional resistor has been added that will result in the fan turning on prior to the condition that causes the PSU to shut down in the event that temperatures exceed 45°C. "
http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/rm750_an ... mal_issue/

What the hell!

So now what is the QUIETEST or even more appropriate for silencers from RM Series?

Jonny Guru had told me RM850, but now with that update the stuffs change. Power output and price are no concern. Just I want to know what takes longer to turn its fan and has better acceleration curve.

So what is?

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:12 pm

lb_felipe wrote: What the hell!

So now what is the QUIETEST or even more appropriate for silencers from RM Series?

Jonny Guru had told me RM850, but now with that update the stuffs change. Power output and price are no concern. Just I want to know what takes longer to turn its fan and has better acceleration curve.

So what is?
Well, if you don't operate in that hot of an environment with no airflow, I'd still say RM850.

Depends on what you're powering, but the RM650 on paper is the loudest. RM1000 might be overkill and RM550 might not be enough power. What's your build?

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:34 pm

I have still not built my new system.

I think on anything like i7-4670K, Z87 motherboard, GTX 770 or R9 series (I'm having trouble imagining how to control noise, anyway) and just one SSD as only drive in the PC box.

I was thinking on RM1000 because its supposed capability to run in fanless mode most of the time. But its price is too high. Can RM850 beat it? RM750 on Newegg is even a better price. Would 750W version be practically as good as 850W version about noise?

Thank you for the replies.

Sorry. I forgot to say the case might be a Fractal Define R4 or something.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Only one graphics card? What you listed isn't going to even need 500W, so you could do a 650W and it would probably only spin up when gaming.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 pm

If you want a PSU to run fanless all the time, just get a fanless PSU...instead of trying to shoehorn a 1000W fanned Gold PSU into a poor use, get a passive 400W Platinum and call it a day. It'll cost less, it'll be more efficient and have less waste heat.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:52 pm

jonnyGURU wrote:Only one graphics card? What you listed isn't going to even need 500W, so you could do a 650W and it would probably only spin up when gaming.
Yes.

I have did a query on Outervision Extreme PSU Calc and have gotten about 660 W as required PSU output (I set 20% capacitor aging for safety).

Is RM750 even better than RM650 to fanless mode?

Thank you for the tips.
CA_Steve wrote:If you want a PSU to run fanless all the time, just get a fanless PSU...instead of trying to shoehorn a 1000W fanned Gold PSU into a poor use, get a passive 400W Platinum and call it a day. It'll cost less, it'll be more efficient and have less waste heat.
And it will emit coil whine. No, thanks.

Nevertheless, thank you for the reply.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:06 am

lb_felipe wrote:And it will emit coil whine.

It's far from being certain.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:54 am

quest_for_silence wrote:

I don't know about you, but I won't gamble with my hard earned money. I'm sure lb_felipe feels the same.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:14 am

I don't think CA_Steve is recommending a fanless silent PSU that will whine all the time?
Where is the silence in that? :shock:
(but I'm no expert...)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:20 am

rpsgc wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

I don't know about you, but I won't gamble with my hard earned money. I'm sure lb_felipe feels the same.

I've not suggested to throw any money out of the window: I've just said that up to now that thing is more like a bullshit than a truth: there's no evidence, just lots of prittle-prattle, that any fanless PSU will surely whine, period, and there's no reason as a fanned PSU surely won't whine.

Up to know I see just a considerable marketing effort made by Corsair to say that only their RM PSUs won't whine, and lots of people ingenuosly trusting this claim without any objective evidence of it.

Garak

Post by Garak » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 am

How on earth do you think this?

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

rpsgc, you are right.

I have read a lot of reports from web that say the new Seasonic's PSU whine whether or not fanless.

PSUs branded by Kingwin, Rosewill or even Super Flower may whine.

Corsair said that because Corsair knows that almost all new standard PSUs whine. Have not you guys researched about that on web?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:28 am

There's even this topic about whine on a fanless Seasonic PSU.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66698

It really surprises me how people are surprised about this. There's plenty of reports about whine in this forum.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:57 am

lb_felipe wrote:I have read a lot of reports from web that say the new Seasonic's PSU whine whether or not fanless.

And I have heard/read lot of comments from owners of the same PSUs (even here) who says that they don't whine at all: so what?
I myself own a Seasonic X-750 and it doesn't whine.
Again, I also own an Enermax Liberty Eco 620 (ErP6) which whines when coupled with my last DFI board, while it doesn't whine with MSI or ASUS ones. So what?

lb_felipe wrote:PSUs branded by Kingwin, Rosewill or even Super Flower may whine.

ANY contemporary PSU may whine.

Please, you may freely choose whichever PSU that let you feel more comfortable with, but saying that any PSU but Corsair RM whines is just sort of meaningless gossip.

Or an obnoxious result of some marketing effort, if you may rather (did you hear about Samsung's practices on smartphones? This would look like almost similar).

rpsgc wrote:There's plenty of reports about whine in this forum.

Rectius: you probably see just them
Nay, give a look to MikeC review: «...The very low level of electronic noise achieved in this sample is nice to see. Seasonic reps assure me that the issues which caused the higher than expected electronic noise in the original sample have been resolved...».
It may worth to mention that Seasonic said they adopted a continuous monitoring assured for the future of the winding process: and that's about what Corsair claims for the RM-series, isn't it?

Garak

Post by Garak » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 am

rpsgc wrote:It really surprises me how people are surprised about this. There's plenty of reports about whine in this forum.
Do you get it yet?

Any PSU can whine, regardless of whether it is fanless, semi-fanless, fanned. Regardless of brand, manufacturer, etc.

Agree with quest_for_silence, you can get any PSU you want, but don't categorically say that a fanless PSU will whine. Because that is not true.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:24 am

Garak wrote:Do you get it yet?
You mean your condescending attitude? Yes, I get it.
Garak wrote:Any PSU can whine, regardless of whether it is fanless, semi-fanless, fanned. Regardless of brand, manufacturer, etc.
Any PSU can whine? Really? You don't say? Thanks for letting me know! I would be lost without you. You're my hero.
Garak wrote:Agree with quest_for_silence, you can get any PSU you want, but don't categorically say that a fanless PSU will whine. Because that is not true.
He said that that specific PSU would whine, because there were plenty of reported cases of it.

quest_for_silence wrote:Nay, give a look to MikeC review: «...The very low level of electronic noise achieved in this sample is nice to see. Seasonic reps assure me that the issues which caused the higher than expected electronic noise in the original sample have been resolved...».
The review also says:
This one is apparently representative of the current production models.
Keyword, apparently. I guess you've never heard of cherry picked samples.
quest_for_silence wrote:Rectius: you probably see just them
I only see the bad reviews? That's funny coming from you. The only thing you've done here is to belittle and attack others for not singing praises to Seasonic.
quest_for_silence wrote:Please, you may freely choose whichever PSU that let you feel more comfortable with, but saying that any PSU but Corsair RM whines is just sort of meaningless gossip.
So all those user reports about coil whine and buzzing = meaningless gossip? Wow, you crack me up. You're always defending Seasonic and then you have the nerve to accuse me of bias? I couldn't care less about Seasonic, Corsair or whatever other brand. I only care about what's best for me, the end user, the customer. If you can't deal with criticism to your favourite brand then that's your problem.

Garak

Post by Garak » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:40 am

rpsgc wrote:He said that that specific PSU would whine, because there were plenty of reported cases of it.
I may have misinterpreted what he said, in which case I am sorry. However it's still not certain that the Seasonic Platinum-400 Fanless will whine.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:05 am

Ok, this is a thread about the corsair RM series. Let's take "which PSU should I buy" discussions to a separate thread and please tone down the rhetoric and personal accusations down to maybe fryolator levels.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm

rpsgc wrote:I guess you've never heard of cherry picked samples.

I think it doesn't matter, really.

Broadly speaking I'd prefer to know about good return policies: so that, if I buy a PSU, and it should whine, then I could RMA it easily.
Dealing with Amazon (it's just an example) it is something free of charge, so that if the replacement unit also whines, then I can RMA it again with ease. I think it's more important than think about any possible cherry picking.

rpsgc wrote:The only thing you've done here is to belittle and attack others for not singing praises to Seasonic.

You're barking up the wrong tree, man: maybe as you just wanna be sarcastic or, more probably, as english isn't our language.

Our brazilian friend seem to say: "Seasonic whine, Super Flower whine, Rosewill whine... while Corsair do not whine". There's no evidence, no proof of that, period. In the quoted phrase «saying that any PSU but Corsair RM whines is just sort of meaningless gossip» there isn't any praise for Seasonic nor I intended any.
And, as you yourself quoted this thread, can you name who speaks critically about Seasonic? I think there may be a little surprise.

rpsgc wrote:So all those user reports about coil whine and buzzing = meaningless gossip?

It's just you to say that. IMO it's a meaningless gossip that ingenuosly repeating what Corsair's marketing department says (please take note that I'm a Corsair's customer for several type of hw).

Broadly speaking reporting bad cases is just reporting real life experiences: so, there are several bad experiences, but there are also much more of good ones, this is why Seasonic sells lots of units of their platforms.
This is the reality, and not the gossip.

Said that, do you still want to be extremely cautious? You're welcome, but nonetheless the vast majority of Seasonic (and Super Flower, Rosewill, et c) PSUs do not whine or , if you may rather, usually Seasonic (and other brands) PSUs don't whine, but sometimes they do (and above all, any PSUs can whine, regardless of what any Marketing Dep may say).
It may worth to mention that, as said by JonnyGuru, these days it happens more than in the recent past due to new electrical regulations.

Does the recently launched Corsair RM-series perform better than any other platform, noise wise?
It might be, but up to now it's far from certain: now there are just lots of marketing claims, and we'll see in the future (a year, at least) how close to them our experiences will be.

I may add that personally I'm quite dubious about, due to my experience as a Corsair customer, but I'd be very happy if those RM units should live up to the highest expectations.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Thank you all. Please do not quarrel.
quest_for_silence wrote:ANY contemporary PSU may whine.

Please, you may freely choose whichever PSU that let you feel more comfortable with, but saying that any PSU but Corsair RM whines is just sort of meaningless gossip.
I get it. And it is precisely where Corsair is putting its efforts. It ensures that its RM series does not whine. Period. Whether it is lying, I do not know.
quest_for_silence wrote:Or an obnoxious result of some marketing effort, if you may rather (did you hear about Samsung's practices on smartphones? This would look like almost similar).

I did not. What does Samsung practice on Smartphones?
quest_for_silence wrote:Rectius: you probably see just them
Nay, give a look to MikeC review: «...The very low level of electronic noise achieved in this sample is nice to see. Seasonic reps assure me that the issues which caused the higher than expected electronic noise in the original sample have been resolved...».
It may worth to mention that Seasonic said they adopted a continuous monitoring assured for the future of the winding process: and that's about what Corsair claims for the RM-series, isn't it?
I did not know that. For me, this is great news.
Garak wrote:Any PSU can whine, regardless of whether it is fanless, semi-fanless, fanned. Regardless of brand, manufacturer, etc.

Agree with quest_for_silence, you can get any PSU you want, but don't categorically say that a fanless PSU will whine. Because that is not true.
We are not saying that what does a PSU whines or does not is whether or not it is fanned or fanless. No matter how it will be cooled. It may whine, and Corsair speak about that:

http://www.corsair.com/pt/blog/there-is ... -supplies/

Sadly, RM Series is a kind of crap, but what matter me is whether it can stably supply my PC and does not whine. And fortunately it is not too expensive.
quest_for_silence wrote:Our brazilian friend seem to say: "Seasonic whine, Super Flower whine, Rosewill whine... while Corsair do not whine". There's no evidence, no proof of that, period. In the quoted phrase «saying that any PSU but Corsair RM whines is just sort of meaningless gossip» there isn't any praise for Seasonic nor I intended any.
And, as you yourself quoted this thread, can you name who speaks critically about Seasonic? I think there may be a little surprise.

rpsgc wrote:So all those user reports about coil whine and buzzing = meaningless gossip?

It's just you to say that. IMO it's a meaningless gossip that ingenuosly repeating what Corsair's marketing department says (please take note that I'm a Corsair's customer for several type of hw).

Broadly speaking reporting bad cases is just reporting real life experiences: so, there are several bad experiences, but there are also much more of good ones, this is why Seasonic sells lots of units of their platforms.
This is the reality, and not the gossip.

Said that, do you still want to be extremely cautious? You're welcome, but nonetheless the vast majority of Seasonic (and Super Flower, Rosewill, et c) PSUs do not whine or , if you may rather, usually Seasonic (and other brands) PSUs don't whine, but sometimes they do (and above all, any PSUs can whine, regardless of what any Marketing Dep may say).
It may worth to mention that, as said by JonnyGuru, these days it happens more than in the recent past due to new electrical regulations.

Does the recently launched Corsair RM-series perform better than any other platform, noise wise?
It might be, but up to now it's far from certain: now there are just lots of marketing claims, and we'll see in the future (a year, at least) how close to them our experiences will be.

I may add that personally I'm quite dubious about, due to my experience as a Corsair customer, but I'd be very happy if those RM units should live up to the highest expectations.
Remember that several people might not have heard coil whine due to many reasons (other noise sources, auditory acuity etc.) but it might be there.

What you must understand is that I am not saying that all power supplies on the world will whine except Corsair.

But apparently it is a lottery. And Corsair guarantees that RM does not whine. No, I do not trust blindly in its marketing, but so far have not heard a report that an RM has been whining.

Sorry for my English. My native language is Portuguese. I have never studied your language, but I really want to learn it.

axee

Post by axee » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:20 am

I still can't decide between 450 and 550 version for i7 ivy and 760.. I don't mind spinning fan when gaming (GPU will make noise anyway), I just can't imagine how much of a difference is between these two..

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 am

axee wrote:I still can't decide between 450 and 550 version for i7 ivy and 760.. I don't mind spinning fan when gaming (GPU will make noise anyway), I just can't imagine how much of a difference is between these two..
I'm thinking of getting the 550 shortly the price is only slightly more than the 450
A point often overlooked but most pc's don't run at full pelt all the time, thus I believe the fan won't spin up most of the time.
And..even when it does it's unlikely to make much noise at all

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:45 pm

axee wrote:I still can't decide between 450 and 550 version for i7 ivy and 760.. I don't mind spinning fan when gaming (GPU will make noise anyway), I just can't imagine how much of a difference is between these two..
fyi on i5-4570K (stock) + 760 power use. An i7 will behave similarly gaming.
idle 40W
media 45-54W
Playing games (WoW, Rift, Skyrim) @ 1080p is no more than 200W. Some beast like BF4 will draw more.
Prime95+ Furmark (and the GTX is thermal throttling) is 333W.

axee

Post by axee » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:58 pm

I ended up getting 650W version. My p95 + furmark power draw is 300W.

Two things:

1. In my building's ground floor, there are CNC machines. Every time a certain one is powered up, EVERY power supply or power adapter coil whines in the house. Home cinema, TV, PC's, active speakers, everything except of RM650. I don't know why or how, but I was surprised.

2. My unit has strange fan "profile", for the lack of better word. When gaming, PSU fan stays turned off, even if I play very intensive games. After 2-3 hours, fan speeds up (so much that I hear it while gaming) and starts slowly spinning down, until it stops again. I guess it cools down and turn off again. The whole thing lasts about a minute. If this will happen too often, I will consider returning this PSU. No sudden noise changes are important to me, even while gaming.

Anyone else got this problem?