100% failure rate on Antec Power supplies..

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Mr Spocko

100% failure rate on Antec Power supplies..

Post by Mr Spocko » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Built quite a few over the years (mostly due to wanting a decent PSU and case)
I had 2 die this week

An Aria power supply that let rip in quite a fashion (sparkle, bang, tripped the mains fuse)
Antec SLK1650B gave up the ghost it's 350 PSU unable to boot a pc properly, whipped out the volt meter all over the place (shot to bits)

Both had very light use and whilst they're a few years old well below any kind of MTBF

I've had about 8 Sonata 1's PSU's go down
5 Sonta II's with faulty PSU's
4 EarthWatts Green EA-430D died just out of warranty

I don't doubt that Antec can make a decent case
I do understand that PSU's have, like all components have a limited lifespan
And no doubt their newer PSU's are better.

But no more Antec for me.. that's an unacceptable failure rate, I could have fitted cheap junky power supplies and expected at least a few to keep running.
I'm unlikely to look at Antec for any cases in future (even with no PSU's) there isn't a lot of doubt in my mind the mid 2000's for Antec are littered with poor quality power supplies, junk no point mincing words even if they're supposedly made by a top tier maker

Sometimes you get so many failures you have to walk away, I had that with Crucial memory..fine for a few years then lots of returns (and bad customer support)
I switched to Kingston and all is good. PSU wise it's Coolermaster and Corsair for me I think

zodaex

Re: 100% failure rate on Antec Power supplies..

Post by zodaex » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:02 pm

I agree completely. Antec used to be a name I felt like I could really trust in power supplies. I had 2 newish Antec green powers go out on me and one of them violently popped and cracked, scaring the daylights out of me and had me concerned it would catch fire. Not only that but overall the last 4 or so antec supplies ive checked out most recently had bad coil whine.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 pm

FWIW Antec don't make their own PSUs. I know they use Seasonic for some of their PSUs but don't think this is for all of them. A major problem with buying PSUs from a company that doesn't manufacture them themselves is that while one unit might have come from a respected manufacturer of OEM PSUs, another unit of the same model might be coming from another company who can't even work a soldering iron. They switch OEMs based upon price, not quality.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:07 am

I'm aware of that I know they have used various makers in the past, but still the failure rate is very poor by any standards.
Maybe they are decent enough right now, but I'm not likely to buy any more of their products because of this.

Any company that skips quality for cheapness risks losing customers longer term, which is a shame as I quite like their cases.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:20 pm

That's a terrible failure rate.
Do you have anything to compare it to?
Do PSUs from different manufacturers show different behaviour in your setting?