It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:58 pm 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 1027
Location: Vancouver
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Fractal_Design_Node_304


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Guatemala
Thanks for the review lawrance.

Btw just wondering about the CPU coolers, you dont think twin towers like Silver Arrow, NH-D14, etc could be an a good option with only the central fan (dependant on having a central CPU socket like on Asus motherboards)?

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Since in ITX cases, every inch counts =P, it'd be great to get size comparisons to other popular ITX cases. It's just nice to have that visual when debating between comparable ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:08 am
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
This case is a little gem. Perfect for a little server to be stashed away.
I recently buildt one using just a single fan (Noctua NF-A15-PWM) at the back and a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 running passive, and the result is very good. It's tight, but in no way impossible to do a good clean build in this case with some proper component planning and a modular PSU. The space between the HSF and disk connectors is a bit to tight for comfort when working though. Glad my hands aren't that massive :p

There are only a couple of small things that I would like to se changed and improved on this case.
1: The disk cradles are locked to their default positions because the spacing on the thumbscrews is just a fraction of a mm off from being able to do a 2 cradle configuration with them centered more towards the middle. Adding 2 more screwholes to the frames and slightly adjusting the thumbscrew spacing would open up a lot of new possible cradle configurations.
2: Adding a silicone/rubber dampening material on top of the crossbars where the disk arrays are resting to further decouple the disks from the frame. This would probably require a mm or two in increased height.
3: Default options to change the mesh grids to something solid to prevent false air from entering the side venting holes. Especially the long GFX vent pulls a lot of false air with a single-fan configuration. I had to get creative with some transparent plastic, round velcro tabs and strips from some left over dampening mats to prevent this.

_________________
Main: Corsair Obsidian 650D | Corsair AX850 | Intel i5-2500K w/HR-02 | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3 | Asus GTX670-CUII TOP | Asus Xonar DX/XD | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 500GB Samsung F3
HTPC: Streacom FC5 | picoPSU-90 + Mean Well GS90A12-P1M | Intel i5-4570T | Asrock Z87E-ITX | 8GB Corsair Vengenace 1600 LP DDR3 | 256GB Plextor M5M mSATA | Sony BC-5600S


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 am
Posts: 118
Location: Vienna - Austria
Enzo_FX wrote:
Since in ITX cases, every inch counts =P, it'd be great to get size comparisons to other popular ITX cases. It's just nice to have that visual when debating between comparable ones.


I'm not sure if these are very popular, but that's what I was recently considering for ITX board.
Attachment:
size comparison NODE 304 - TJ08-E - SG06 - PC-Q07.png


The Node 304 has a big footprint on the floor / table, but it's not high.
The SG06 from Silverstone is tiny, but it needs SFX PSU and there is no room for tower cooler. (or with picoPSU)
The Lian Li Q07 is almost like the Node, but vertical. Small footprint and tall. It fits ATX PSU, but needs a slim cooler.

I'm sure there some other good ITX cases, but at that time, I was only narrowing to these 3.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
(sold in Dec. 2013) Temjin TJ08-E / Be Quiet Straight Power E9 400W / GA-B75M-D3H / i3-3225 / 8GB / SSD 120GB / HDD 1TB / running Mac OS - Hackintosh


Last edited by thierry. on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Princeton, US
Hi SPCR,

great review of the Node 304, which I consider buying for my gaming build.

Hence I am a little disappointed that you did not test the case with a dedicated graphics card - I mean it is one of the very few mini ITX cases that can house a standard graphics card, ATX power supply and offer proper CPU/case cooling, and it is in direct competition with SG07/SG08, Cooler Master Elite 130 and others.

Please test it with dedicated graphics !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11848
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
nizer wrote:
Hi SPCR,

great review of the Node 304, which I consider buying for my gaming build.

Hence I am a little disappointed that you did not test the case with a dedicated graphics card - I mean it is one of the very few mini ITX cases that can house a standard graphics card, ATX power supply and offer proper CPU/case cooling, and it is in direct competition with SG07/SG08, Cooler Master Elite 130 and others.

Please test it with dedicated graphics !

Not likely to happen.

BUT I can tell you what really counts for case like this to stay quiet with a high power gaming rig is...
1. airflow to the VGA card -- mainly how open the left side is.
2. airflow through the rest, particularly for CPU cooling.

Generally, the biggest noise differences will be in the VGA cooler & the chosen GPU. Sure, there'll be differences in CPU cooling, but you have a huge range of choices for coolers there, so it's not difficult to maintain safe CPU temps with modest noise.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 685
Location: Gefle, Sweden
I'm glad to see your testing showed that the drive cages really are as good as my impression of them were.

I found that the front fans does not turn on with the built in controller set to its lowest, but that could both be good and bad depending on your needs. The 140mm exhaust is so effective on its own for an ITX sized build. Any non-gaming build could do just fine without the front fans connected.

_________________
i5-3570K at 4 GHz Turbo, HR-02 Macho w/o fan, MSI R9 290 Gaming, Fractal Design Define R4, 2 front fans, 1 exhaust. 2 SSD's and a quiet Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) HDD, Seasonic P-460FL (no squealing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Princeton, US
MikeC wrote:
BUT I can tell you what really counts for case like this to stay quiet with a high power gaming rig is...
1. airflow to the VGA card -- mainly how open the left side is.
2. airflow through the rest, particularly for CPU cooling.

Generally, the biggest noise differences will be in the VGA cooler & the chosen GPU. Sure, there'll be differences in CPU cooling, but you have a huge range of choices for coolers there, so it's not difficult to maintain safe CPU temps with modest noise.


I agree, the GPU cooling is the problem in SFF gaming systems. That is also why I consider buying a watercooled graphics card or cooling it myself with either the Nzxt Kragen G10 or better, the Arctic Accelero Hybrid. Both allow the GPU to be water cooled and the heat efficiently pushed out of the case.

At the moment the Cooler Master Elite 130 case is one of the best options when the case must be smaller than 23 cm on one side (hand baggage restrictions, I fly to LAN parties). If anyone is interested, I suggest taking a look at this build video with water cooling etc (though they are water cooling the CPU, not the GPU):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlW6hw0WUpw


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Outside the box
mkk wrote:
I'm glad to see your testing showed that the drive cages really are as good as my impression of them were.

I found that the front fans does not turn on with the built in controller set to its lowest, but that could both be good and bad depending on your needs. The 140mm exhaust is so effective on its own for an ITX sized build. Any non-gaming build could do just fine without the front fans connected.

I just bought a white one, and yeah, I can attest the fan failure at Low setting. Very annoying.

But unfortunately that's not the only annoying part of the case:
(Compared to my trusty old Antec P180 and an assortment of cheaper cases. Yes, I'm aware that the P180 costs about three times as much, but it is a ATX case, and some of the things are really small quality control things.)

1. I had to use plyers to screw in the standoffs. The only other case I had to use them was maybe quarter the price of this.

2. Frankly, every last screw mount is bad in the case. I really can't remember if I ever had this much metal flake coming out of any other case just from getting the screws out. It is almost as if the paint job was botched and got into the screw holes, but since the flakes are metal, that's not the case.

3. Every screw that the case has is mroe than a bit too tight. Even the thumb screws.

4. The top screws holding the drive bays were already worn from the factory, so I'm sure they won't last more than a few shuffles.

5. Putting on the shell is a real bother. It's worse than trying to juggle both side panels onto a regular case at the same time.

6. It is also a shame that the 2.5" are not supported by rubber gromets, although I can see why: it is quite unusual to use a regular, spinning platter 2.5" in a desktop, even if some of them have much better acoustic properties than 3,5" ones.

7. Weirdly they used different thumbscrews for securing the case shell and securing the drive bays. I almost thought that I wore down them with just unscrewing them. (Well, it was night :D)

So qualit-wise, I found the Node 304 to be lacking unfortunately.

_________________
gamer: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE // Scythe Mugen II // Gigabyte MA790X-UD3P // 4096MB DDR2 // ASUS 6850 DirectCU // Nexus NX-5000 // Sharkoon Rebel9 Pro Eco
work/movie: AMD Fusion A8-3870K // Scythe Mugen II // Sapphire HD6570 Silent // 8GB DDR3 // Seasonic X-400W// Antec P180b
home server: Intel Celeron 1037 // Gigabyte C1037UN-EU // 4GB DDR3 // PicoPSU 120WI+60W brick // Fractal Design Node 304


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am
Posts: 400
Location: Boston, MA, USA
This case looks like a microwave with a minifridge door on the side. :)

_________________
Currently running Mint 14 MATE on all machines.
Desktop/Gaming: E8400 / 650ti + Accelero S1 / Antec Solo
Myth Backend + Home Server: D945GSEJT / WD15EADS / Hauppage 950Q / Home made case
Myth Frontend + HTPC: Sempron 140 / Asus M4A785-M
Notebook:AMD A4-3300M


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 685
Location: Gefle, Sweden
nagi wrote:
4. The top screws holding the drive bays were already worn from the factory, so I'm sure they won't last more than a few shuffles.

I had a bit of trouble there too, at least that they were overly tight from the factory. I removed those screws and threw them away, not being a necessity short of shipping. That was the only quality problem with my black though. It's too bad your white fared much worse. I'll still certainly get the white for another build, counting on it being a case of variance. I've seen plenty of white cases where some paint dust has leaked into screw holes, but as you got metal out of yours it should certainly be a matter of threading quality control. That's bad.

If you feel like it, fill in the contact form over at Fractal Design's website. They'll be glad to get any direct customer feedback. If the case has a serial number on a sticker, include that as well for them to track statistics for the batch.

_________________
i5-3570K at 4 GHz Turbo, HR-02 Macho w/o fan, MSI R9 290 Gaming, Fractal Design Define R4, 2 front fans, 1 exhaust. 2 SSD's and a quiet Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) HDD, Seasonic P-460FL (no squealing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Outside the box
mkk wrote:
nagi wrote:
4. The top screws holding the drive bays were already worn from the factory, so I'm sure they won't last more than a few shuffles.

I had a bit of trouble there too, at least that they were overly tight from the factory. I removed those screws and threw them away, not being a necessity short of shipping. That was the only quality problem with my black though. It's too bad your white fared much worse. I'll still certainly get the white for another build, counting on it being a case of variance. I've seen plenty of white cases where some paint dust has leaked into screw holes, but as you got metal out of yours it should certainly be a matter of threading quality control. That's bad.

If you feel like it, fill in the contact form over at Fractal Design's website. They'll be glad to get any direct customer feedback. If the case has a serial number on a sticker, include that as well for them to track statistics for the batch.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually don't complain to the manufacturers, (at elast not since I worked as a journalist, which made it so much easier) but this time, I think I will.

_________________
gamer: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE // Scythe Mugen II // Gigabyte MA790X-UD3P // 4096MB DDR2 // ASUS 6850 DirectCU // Nexus NX-5000 // Sharkoon Rebel9 Pro Eco
work/movie: AMD Fusion A8-3870K // Scythe Mugen II // Sapphire HD6570 Silent // 8GB DDR3 // Seasonic X-400W// Antec P180b
home server: Intel Celeron 1037 // Gigabyte C1037UN-EU // 4GB DDR3 // PicoPSU 120WI+60W brick // Fractal Design Node 304


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:22 am
Posts: 5
Just bought it. My build is for NAS and video transcoding/streaming.
PSU: Seasonic SS(X in US)-520W FL2. fanless.
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IMPACT VI.
CPU: i5-4570S. xxxxS CPUs stay relatively cool and provide enough features and performance
Heatsink: NH-U12S. slim version.
Memory: couple of corsair modules with heatspreaders.
Drives: SSD and 4 HDD - if future all SSDs

Problems/challenges:
Heatsink. So I saw the problem with heatsink placement and chose slim version. I tried my old backup PSU and it is so noisy inside the case. Maybe because of vents on the bottom and quality of case itself. So fanless Seasonic is excellent choice.

Cabling. The biggest problem for this case is cabling. I solved cabling for motherboard and CPU by tying cables to upper frame so cables do not stand in the way of airflow. However HDD cabling is yet to be solved. Now it is a mess. So that is what Fractal Design could improve. I even do not mind additional 1cm of higher case, but this needs to be solved.

Graphics card. This could be a problem. But you need to do your homework by selecting appropriate motherboard and graphics card. I do not use it by my design, though I could without cabling or placement issues.

Final design:
I assume that 2 fans would be enough to provide necessary cooling. 1st 12mm on a heatsink near HDD - almost in the middle of the case pushing air through heatsink toward exaust and one 14mm stock fan. 2 fan in the front of the case will be take out to allow better inflow. Also this may help solve HDD cabling issues as I would be able to mount HDDs cables facing toward front of the case.

Quality:
Some screws and holes are not very well aligned - HDDs. Very little insulation. Front panel connectors suck. This could be improved.

Overall: between excellent and good. (I own fractal design mini - this one is my reference). On the other hand it would be extremely hard to find 6 HDD ITX case.

_________________
Main: Fractal Design Define Mini | Nexustek RX-8500 | Intel i7-3770T | ASUS Maximus Gene V | 16GB GSkill 2400 DDR3 | 240GB Kingston Hyper-X | Noctua heatsink | Nexustek fans
NAS: Fractal Design Node 304 | Seasonic X-520FL2 520W | Intel i5-4570S | ASUS Maximus Impact VI | DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 1866MHz | Crucial SSD M.2 240GB | Noctua slim heatsink and fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Guatemala
dxhelios wrote:
Just bought it. My build is for NAS and video transcoding/streaming.
PSU: Seasonic SS(X in US)-520W FL2. fanless.
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IMPACT VI.
CPU: i5-4570S. xxxxS CPUs stay relatively cool and provide enough features and performance
Heatsink: NH-U12S. slim version.
Memory: couple of corsair modules with heatspreaders.
Drives: SSD and 4 HDD - if future all SSDs

Problems/challenges:
Heatsink. So I saw the problem with heatsink placement and chose slim version. I tried my old backup PSU and it is so noisy inside the case. Maybe because of vents on the bottom and quality of case itself. So fanless Seasonic is excellent choice.

Cabling. The biggest problem for this case is cabling. I solved cabling for motherboard and CPU by tying cables to upper frame so cables do not stand in the way of airflow. However HDD cabling is yet to be solved. Now it is a mess. So that is what Fractal Design could improve. I even do not mind additional 1cm of higher case, but this needs to be solved.

Graphics card. This could be a problem. But you need to do your homework by selecting appropriate motherboard and graphics card. I do not use it by my design, though I could without cabling or placement issues.

Final design:
I assume that 2 fans would be enough to provide necessary cooling. 1st 12mm on a heatsink near HDD - almost in the middle of the case pushing air through heatsink toward exaust and one 14mm stock fan. 2 fan in the front of the case will be take out to allow better inflow. Also this may help solve HDD cabling issues as I would be able to mount HDDs cables facing toward front of the case.

Quality:
Some screws and holes are not very well aligned - HDDs. Very little insulation. Front panel connectors suck. This could be improved.

Overall: between excellent and good. (I own fractal design mini - this one is my reference). On the other hand it would be extremely hard to find 6 HDD ITX case.
Are you running AI SUITE III / FanXpert2? just curious on the range of operation of the Fractal 92mm fans.

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:22 am
Posts: 5
Abula wrote:
Are you running AI SUITE III / FanXpert2? just curious on the range of operation of the Fractal 92mm fans.


I have not connected them yet as idea is to take them out. I will connect them and will post the screenshot from FanXpert. This will happen till the end of next week for sure if you can wait.

_________________
Main: Fractal Design Define Mini | Nexustek RX-8500 | Intel i7-3770T | ASUS Maximus Gene V | 16GB GSkill 2400 DDR3 | 240GB Kingston Hyper-X | Noctua heatsink | Nexustek fans
NAS: Fractal Design Node 304 | Seasonic X-520FL2 520W | Intel i5-4570S | ASUS Maximus Impact VI | DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 1866MHz | Crucial SSD M.2 240GB | Noctua slim heatsink and fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Guatemala
dxhelios wrote:
Abula wrote:
Are you running AI SUITE III / FanXpert2? just curious on the range of operation of the Fractal 92mm fans.


I have not connected them yet as idea is to take them out. I will connect them and will post the screenshot from FanXpert. This will happen till the end of next week for sure if you can wait.
Thanks, no rush, when ever you have time. Looking foward to your graph, thanks again. I did ran the Fractal 140 that came with my Define R4, but interested on the 92mm.

Image

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:22 am
Posts: 5
Attached.
Attachment:
frontfan.JPG

You know these front fans are really silent.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Main: Fractal Design Define Mini | Nexustek RX-8500 | Intel i7-3770T | ASUS Maximus Gene V | 16GB GSkill 2400 DDR3 | 240GB Kingston Hyper-X | Noctua heatsink | Nexustek fans
NAS: Fractal Design Node 304 | Seasonic X-520FL2 520W | Intel i5-4570S | ASUS Maximus Impact VI | DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 1866MHz | Crucial SSD M.2 240GB | Noctua slim heatsink and fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Outside the box
Just an update: the folks at Fractal Design have already replied to my concerns. Well, it isn't that long, so I'll just post it here. :)

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, we'll try to improve the threading/painting.

Regards,
Fractal Design

_________________
gamer: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE // Scythe Mugen II // Gigabyte MA790X-UD3P // 4096MB DDR2 // ASUS 6850 DirectCU // Nexus NX-5000 // Sharkoon Rebel9 Pro Eco
work/movie: AMD Fusion A8-3870K // Scythe Mugen II // Sapphire HD6570 Silent // 8GB DDR3 // Seasonic X-400W// Antec P180b
home server: Intel Celeron 1037 // Gigabyte C1037UN-EU // 4GB DDR3 // PicoPSU 120WI+60W brick // Fractal Design Node 304


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Guatemala
Thank you dxhelios, appreciate the screenshot, look like 550rpm is where they will idle under fanXpert2.

_________________
GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 6
I built a light use system (web/email/office) in a Node 304. Used the on-board video with an i3 2120 (cooled with a simple Noctua L9i) on an ASUS motherboard. I removed the front fans, and set the back fan to run quietly from a motherboard header.

This machine works perfectly for what I wanted, and it's very quiet. It has limits (no optical drive, for example), but it's a decent case. However, the other mini-ITX I built was in a BitFenix Prodigy - if I were to do another, I'd probable go with the Prodigy again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 580
Location: USA (Phoenix, AZ)
Nice review! I have five hard drives and one SSD in my Node 304. I really cleaned up my wiring by creating my own custom SATA power cable, eliminating excess cable length between each connector. I also went with SATA data cables as short as needed for each drive.

I noticed one error in the review - the hyperlink on the last page for "SilverStone Argon" links to the review for the Noctua NH-U14S.

_________________
SilverStone SG05, Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-13 120MM, Seasonic X-460, ASRock Z77E-ITX, Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2, Samsung 30nm 1.35V 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, PowerColor AX7750, Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 am
Posts: 118
Location: Vienna - Austria
josephclemente wrote:
I have five hard drives and one SSD in my Node 304. I really cleaned up my wiring by creating my own custom SATA power cable, eliminating excess cable length between each connector. I also went with SATA data cables as short as needed for each drive.

Hi Joseph,
Will you post a topic for your new build?
Your SG05 was really neat. I would love to see how you set up all these drives and custom cables. :idea:

_________________
(sold in Dec. 2013) Temjin TJ08-E / Be Quiet Straight Power E9 400W / GA-B75M-D3H / i3-3225 / 8GB / SSD 120GB / HDD 1TB / running Mac OS - Hackintosh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 580
Location: USA (Phoenix, AZ)
I'll post my new builds hopefully soon!

_________________
SilverStone SG05, Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-13 120MM, Seasonic X-460, ASRock Z77E-ITX, Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2, Samsung 30nm 1.35V 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, PowerColor AX7750, Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:22 am
Posts: 5
Also for Mini-ITX cases I would definitely recommend NGFF aka M.2 SSDs (so far I have seen Crucial and Intel M.2 SSDs). This would free up one more SATA slot and there is no need for additional cables. Also there is more free space inside the case.

_________________
Main: Fractal Design Define Mini | Nexustek RX-8500 | Intel i7-3770T | ASUS Maximus Gene V | 16GB GSkill 2400 DDR3 | 240GB Kingston Hyper-X | Noctua heatsink | Nexustek fans
NAS: Fractal Design Node 304 | Seasonic X-520FL2 520W | Intel i5-4570S | ASUS Maximus Impact VI | DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 1866MHz | Crucial SSD M.2 240GB | Noctua slim heatsink and fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:06 am
Posts: 101
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
Would this case be good for building a NAS? It seems to hold a lot of 3.5 drives for its size (6).

_________________
Core i7 2600k Sandybridge @ 4.5ghz | Thermalright Ultima-90 heatsink | ASUS P8Z68V-Pro| 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance| XFX Radeon 5850 + Accelero S1 + VRM-4 + 120mm fan| 2x Raid-0 -Intel X-25M 80GB SSD hard drive | Antec P150 case | Seasonic X-750 750w PSU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:58 am
Posts: 12
Location: London
It is - and the cooling is good enough to handle the full six. That said, you just need to be aware when picking a motherboard, that some Mini-ITX ones have 4 SATA ports only:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl ... rence-473/

Also space is fairly tight in there once you have everything installed, so with six drive, you'll want fairly short cables on everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:06 am
Posts: 101
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
Osamede wrote:
It is - and the cooling is good enough to handle the full six. That said, you just need to be aware when picking a motherboard, that some Mini-ITX ones have 4 SATA ports only:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl ... rence-473/

Also space is fairly tight in there once you have everything installed, so with six drive, you'll want fairly short cables on everything.


Glad to hear. Are there any other alternative cases to consider that has the ability carry this many drives at a similar size?

_________________
Core i7 2600k Sandybridge @ 4.5ghz | Thermalright Ultima-90 heatsink | ASUS P8Z68V-Pro| 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance| XFX Radeon 5850 + Accelero S1 + VRM-4 + 120mm fan| 2x Raid-0 -Intel X-25M 80GB SSD hard drive | Antec P150 case | Seasonic X-750 750w PSU


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group