Second Seasonic Fanless 520w Platinum also buzzes/squeals

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davemuk

Second Seasonic Fanless 520w Platinum also buzzes/squeals

Post by davemuk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:10 pm

RMA'd the first one back to Scan and now the second produces the very same buzzing/high pitch squeal.

It's housed in an Antec Solo 2 so the noise leaks out very easily through the top grill, I have chosen silent components for the whole rig and this noise stands out plus it's hard to sit next to it for any length of time.

Moving my ear over the PSU I've pin pointed the exact areas the noise eminates from (circled in white, red dot area is loudest).

Someone made a youtube video of their PSU with the same sound here. Move to 1:20 in to the vid.

Surely Seasonics top end Fanless PSU that costs £118 can run silently without buzzes and squeals?

Any comments or event better suggestions for alternatives as I don't want to get a 3rd PSU from the same supplier, could it be a batch issue ? (my brother has the same PSU but from a different supplier without issue, unfortunately they don't stock it anymore).

edh

Re: Second Seasonic Fanless 520w Platinum also buzzes/squeal

Post by edh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 am

Have you seen this?
viewtopic.php?p=573354&sid=96fdd454ca3f ... 6a#p573354

Advice from Seasonic is to configure certain things in the BIOS, otherwise it causes buzzing. This is an accepted thing because if you don't have this options set, your system is not in compliance with the regulation that this PSU is intended to conform to.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 am

I highly suspect it is all down to acoustic acuteness. That is, most Seasonic PSUs allegedly generate high-frequency coil whining, which is not audible to all people. In fact, I sympathise those engineers working in Seasonic a little bit because Far East Asia (particularly Taiwan) is far from tranquility. Not a perfect place to make a silent PSU.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:59 pm

edh wrote:Have you seen this?
viewtopic.php?p=573354&sid=96fdd454ca3f ... 6a#p573354

Advice from Seasonic is to configure certain things in the BIOS, otherwise it causes buzzing. This is an accepted thing because if you don't have this options set, your system is not in compliance with the regulation that this PSU is intended to conform to.
I don't get any noises when the PC is in standby, only when it's switched on.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:04 pm

ggumdol wrote:I highly suspect it is all down to acoustic acuteness. That is, most Seasonic PSUs allegedly generate high-frequency coil whining, which is not audible to all people. In fact, I sympathise those engineers working in Seasonic a little bit because Far East Asia (particularly Taiwan) is far from tranquility. Not a perfect place to make a silent PSU.
The sound it makes is clearly audible (event my wife would hear it and nothing really bothers her noise wise). If they advertise a £118 PSU as silent it better be silent or what's the point of charging a premium. Also, the fact my bothers PSU (same model) doesn't make any squeals, proves they can do it. I've lost and confidence in SS PSU's and hence seeking an alternative.

edh

Post by edh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:49 pm

davemuk wrote:Also, the fact my bothers PSU (same model) doesn't make any squeals, proves they can do it.
Is he running exactly the same components though? Prior experience with these problems on this forum shows it is down to motherboard and it's configuration. If there's any chance you could try your brothers PSU in your system that would be a great way of proving it is the PSU at fault.

I still suggest you do check the advice from Seasonic on motherboard settings, even if you think that it's about noise when switched off.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm

edh wrote:
davemuk wrote:Also, the fact my bothers PSU (same model) doesn't make any squeals, proves they can do it.
Is he running exactly the same components though? Prior experience with these problems on this forum shows it is down to motherboard and it's configuration. If there's any chance you could try your brothers PSU in your system that would be a great way of proving it is the PSU at fault.

I still suggest you do check the advice from Seasonic on motherboard settings, even if you think that it's about noise when switched off.
He runs and MSI H87 mb with haswell, I run a MSI z87 with haswell.

I can look at those motherboard settings but I won't hold my breath as Erp is to do with standby power.

As for trying his PSU in with components, it's crossed my mind too. Like you say, it's the only way to prove the PSU is at fault.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Well I spent this morning over at my brothers unplugging his SS P-520 FL and then connecting my motherboard power cables to his PSU. Switched on and.... no buzzing what so ever. I think this rules out my system components as the culprit and squarely puts the problem down to the Seasonic's quality control. * I also made sure the buzzing was still there on my PSU as to rule out mains noise at my house.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:02 am

davemuk wrote:Well I spent this morning over at my brothers unplugging his SS P-520 FL and then connecting my motherboard power cables to his PSU. Switched on and.... no buzzing what so ever.

Well, so RMA also that second one back to Scan (write down its serial number, then cross your fingers).

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:56 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
davemuk wrote:Well I spent this morning over at my brothers unplugging his SS P-520 FL and then connecting my motherboard power cables to his PSU. Switched on and.... no buzzing what so ever.

Well, so RMA also that second one back to Scan (write down its serial number, then cross your fingers).
I won't be going for a third, just a refund. I have my eye on a Superflower 500w fanless now but RMA'ing to Overclockers.co.uk worries me if there's an issue.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:54 pm

davemuk wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

I won't be going for a third, just a refund. I have my eye on a Superflower 500w fanless now but RMA'ing to Overclockers.co.uk worries me if there's an issue.

I don't know about Scan, but when I buy from Amazon I've no worries to RMA any item to them once, twice, three or more times, as it's free of charge and very quick (I receive the replacement usually two or three working days after I ask for return).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Sorry for your pains, however, awesome data collection for us. Thanks for doing the side by side test.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:20 am

CA_Steve wrote:Sorry for your pains, however, awesome data collection for us. Thanks for doing the side by side test.

This site has given me so much useful info over the years it's nice to pay back a little when I can.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:26 am

quest_for_silence wrote:I don't know about Scan, but when I buy from Amazon I've no worries to RMA any item to them once, twice, three or more times, as it's free of charge and very quick (I receive the replacement usually two or three working days after I ask for return).
Totally agree with you BUT Amazon uk don't sell the SS P520 FL (at least not directly and that's the bit that counts when you want to RMA).

pod03

Post by pod03 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:20 am

My family lives a couple of miles away from overclockers.co.uk and although I have not RMAd anything to them they do have a bricks and mortar store that I have been in a couple of times and their customer service face to face has been great, from what I observed. E.g. it appeared somebody was returning a custom built system for the second time for marginal reasons and although their profits and patience were clearly thinning they were more than reasonable. So I would not worry about getting a Superflower from Overclockers. Indeed if you were passing them you might be able to drop in and try a Superflower and/or another Seasonic if you asked. I also wonder if Seasonic themselves would have a way of learning from your experience via one of their knowledgeable retailers such as Overclockers.

mikeyten4

Post by mikeyten4 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi Dave, hi everyone

Just adding my own two cents since I too have very recently bought this PSU, and just like you I'm hearing a buzz from it. I've just made this quick video to demonstrate it - it's almost IDENTICAL to the buzz demonstrated in the video Davemuk has linked to. The difference with mine is that it only seems to happen when my CPU is under heavy load. A stress test, any stress test immediately sets it off. Adding to that, some days I don't notice it at all, and I didn't notice it for the first time until a few weeks after having it running. But I'm not sure if that's since it doesn't happen all of the time, or just since I don't notice it... because, in honesty, it is very quiet. But it's just loud enough, in a PC that is otherwise practically silent, to get noticed - that's the problem. I think that in a gaming rig, for example, with a GPU going and a louder CPU cooler than mine, you'd just never know. But when you do notice it it's all you can hear afterwards.

Here's my video*

At about 1m 45 secs in you'll hear me click my mouse, starting AIDA64's stress test, and then you should be able to hear the buzz. It goes for about 10 seconds, then I stop the test and it vanishes. You'll then hear me click my mouse button about every 5 - 10 secs after that, and you should be able to hear the buzz flicking on and off with it.

Mine came from Scan too, and I'm considering returning it for an exchange. I did read the review on here before buying, but it read like the issue had been fixed, and I haven't looked for thhose bios settings yet. Honestly... I don't know if I can be bothered returning it if they're going to want all of the modular cables back too, now that they're all neatly tucked away inside my PC. I'm asking myself if I can put up with the buzz. My only other real concern is whether or not it's actually safe.

*DISCLAIMER - Sorry, I know the video is a bit rubbish, and the 'home studio' is a tip, but at least I spared you the sight of the 'Animal from The Muppets' 'lounge pants' I'm wearing right now.

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 pm

You can here the buzz even before you run the stress test, it's just louder when the load is greater. I didn't get a chance to run my system under load but the buzzing was too much even at idle (as I have a very silent solo 2 system, PSU and grill at the top so sound will easily escape). I can't believe Seasonic would let these pass through QC. I will say thumbs up to Scan as they didn't quibble the 1st RMA, the 2 RMA will be processed next week so I'm hoping I won't be re-visiting this thread and changing my opinion.

* update on RMA, Scan refunded with no questions asked, well done them.

After some more research I bought the Super Flower 500w fanless from Overclockers for £89.99 + del. Hooking it up and crossing toes and fingers I switched it on. No noticable buzz at idle, only the very faintest of crackle if I stuck my ear right next to the PSU, a few cm's away and not a sound. I've yet to test the system at load (only completed the build yesterday) but I'm inclined to think it will not be noticable either. Talk about a huge sigh of relief :)

* If it was me Mikey, I would RMA the PSU. Yes it's a ball ache but you'll be happier with a silent PSU.

mikeyten4

Post by mikeyten4 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 am

Well, I tried the bios settings Seasonic advised and they made no difference to my PSU at all. Infact, my own PSU is now doing the same as yours was Dave - making a buzzing whether under load or not! It's a sod since it's by no means loud, but it stands out to me since the machine is so quiet otherwise!

Anyway, it's being RMA'ed back to Scan :) I wonder how many of these they get returned? I'm hoping the replacement will be fine since it's an awesome PSU otherwise.

One question... does anyone know if it's safe to hook up a non-haswell certified PSU to my haswell build? I've got one spare and I'm thinking of using it while I wait for my Seasonic replacement. I know a non certified PSU won't support the C6 / C7 power saving features, but is that all?

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:44 am

If you're lucky you'll get one that doesn't buzz but I had two in a row that made the same noise so I would say Scan have a bad batch on their hands. How big the batch is I don't know but I couldn't face a third buzzing PSU so bought a superflower 500w fanless from overlockers. I'm very impressed with it and just relieved to have a quality fanless PSU that doesn't buzz. If you want to read the SPCR review look for Rosewill 500w fanless (it's in the recommended list) - identical PSU.

If it was me I'd get a refund and buy the superflower.

torp

Post by torp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:50 am

Does this buzzing issue show up on fanned PSUs as well, or just their fanless range?

davemuk

Post by davemuk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:48 am

torp wrote:Does this buzzing issue show up on fanned PSUs as well, or just their fanless range?
No idea torp. I suggest googling for the model you're after as it can be very hit and miss with PSU's

FilthyMonkey

Post by FilthyMonkey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Happens with the fanned varieties as well. I RMA'ed a 660XP2 on saturday for the same issue. My tj08b-e places the power supply right on top of the case, so any noise the power supply makes is extra-audible compared to most cases.

I tried the bios options that were suggested. Turned on ErP 4&5. No difference. I couldn't find any sort of 'audio always on' option in my bios though. Thankfully I have a spare power supply to use in the meantime, even though it constantly runs the fan at high speed like a hairdryer.