Scythe Gentle Typhoons to be discontinued

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Scythe Gentle Typhoons to be discontinued

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:10 am

Just a headsup on a rummong that has come up the web, but i just stumble on it.
Mark @ FrozenCPU is sending out mails to a few people in which Scythe states the partnership with Nidec is over, no outstanding supplier orders will be able to be filled.
FrozenCPU,
Regretfully, both Nidec and Scythe have decided not to continue their business relationship.

We will not be able to fulfill your Gentle Typhoon order.
We will be promoting the new Grand Flex fans. These are supposedly better than the Gentle Typhoons.
We need to get the message out to the public. I should have some samples by early next month.
By the way, Scythe reserves the right to the name Gentle Typhoon.
That means Nidec can’t sell the product to anybody with our label, our package, our brand and etc. attached to it.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Hank Peng
SCYTHE, Inc.
For me, they were one of the best fans out there, even SPCR got the chance to review some and had very good comments about them on the Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright, and also reviewed the ones they will be promoting, the Grand Flex, on the Grand Flex on Scythe GlideStream, Slip Stream XT, and Grand Flex Fans and didn't come that well.

Either way this was just a headsup in case someone is looking to buy for a new build, get them now.

CA_Steve

Re: Scythe Gentle Typhoons to be discontinued

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:27 pm

They were hinting at this a while ago. Too bad it's come true.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: Scythe Gentle Typhoons to be discontinued

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:28 pm

I have a few of them. I never really liked them. They had very little air noise, but the motor always had a very distinct "whine" to it. I could never get over that whine in my desktop. I still use GT in my servers that are away from me and where I cannot hear that annoying frequency, but they were a no go for the primary desktop. Still, pity, otherwise they were great fans.