Small PC with some storage options... silent SFF mac

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

emilin

Small PC with some storage options... silent SFF mac

Post by emilin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi,

I am planning a build for my wife to replace her ageing laptop which never leaves the desktop. I am looking for something as silent as possible but also small and ideally something I will probably use as a NAS or HTPC in the future. Note: the PC will run MAC ( this will be my seocnd Hackintosh ) hence the choice of MB.

CPU Intel Core i5 4570S Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 2.90GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 65W)
Memory Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP
Motherboard Gigabyte H87N-WIFI Motherboard (Intel H87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA/600, Mini ITX, Socket 1150)
System Drive Crucial CT120M500SSD1 2.5-inch 120GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
Data Drive WD 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Green
Case Cooler Master Elite 130 Computer Case
Power Supply Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU

Originally I thought I would go for a no-fan PSU, but given how small is the case I think it needs to have some air-flow. I will be using the stock-fan to start but probably change that to something else based on noise levels.

Any comments on the plan would be great!

Many thanks!

edh

Re: Small PC with some storage options... silent SFF mac

Post by edh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:11 pm

A few little questions:
Why the S CPU? S and T models are lower TDP but the same effect can be achieved simply by undervolting a standard CPU, this may save a little money.

Any ideas on CPU cooler? The standard Intel cooler isn't bad for initial testing but you'll then find the need for something quieter.

The RAM does seem a little over the top spec wise for a simple desktop system. More basic RAM would save a little money and may help give more CPU cooler clearence.

What will the storage hard disk be used for and how much data will initially be stored? SSD's are just so much better that maybe you can look at moving to a few large SSDs instead? Remember SSDs are small, lightweight and low powered so can easily be added at a later date. Maybe buy a single 512Gb SSD now, then add another one in 6 months time when it's full, then another in a years time... all of the time they will get cheaper and your system can be completely silent.

Real world power consumption will be only a little over 100W. 430W is therefore a long way over the top. Perhaps for this small, quiet build a PicoPSU or similar passive external brick setup would be more suitable? This would then allow a much smaller case to be used as well if size is important. I'd be tempted to look at going fully passive with a low power setup like this so getting rid of the PSU fan seems tempting from the start.

emilin

Post by emilin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Lots of ideas there, many thanks!

I went for the S as I though being low powered will do less heat. I can't see any savings on the standard CPU (is it worth to take the standard even without savings?)

CPU Cooler yeah, I will probably need it but I want to decide after I get the system together. 1 I want to see how the stock cooler does and 2 I can take measurements.

I am a bit confused about the RAM, which one is compatible and which one isn't, do you have a suggestion for memory that might be better and offer more clearance.

The SDD are so much more expensive and I am looking at cheap storage. Both the SSD 120GB and HDD 2TB are about £65, in contrast a 512 GB SSD is £300. In the future yes probably move to SSDs but for now HDD is my plan to grow storage.

I am not sure about the power demands, my theory was that the reviews of the Be Quiet PSU say that the PSU is almost silent when not being used much and hence I though the fan will be almost silent for my power needs.

Will a PICO PSU be enough to drive 3 HDD and 1 SSD and maybe a GPU in the future?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Case Cooler Master Elite 130 Computer Case
I dont see any opticals on your list, not sure if you need one or not, personally i dont anymore, and for the rare ocasion that i do, i have an USB version. If you dont need the optical, take a look into the Fractal Design Node 304, SPCR recently reviewed it and gave it the editor choice, Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case. This case as long as you dont need an optical, will be a better pick imo, allowing you to use tower cooler, so you can end up with a more quiet setup.

Since you dont need more than 1hdd + ssd, take a look into fellow SPCR forum memeber build, Fractal Design Node 304 HDD suspension, if you want to see more builds, check OCN [Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club.

Since you mention you might use it as a NAS on the future, the NODE 304 can hold up to 6x 3.5 hdds, and still looks pretty decent near audio equipment.
Memory Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP
I would go with low profile from cosair if thats the brand you prefer, its more like standard height, but there is no reason to get tall heatsinks specially for mini itx build that might limit you in terms of cooler for really no gain.
Power Supply Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU
I have no experience with Be quiet psu, i seen some good reviews about them, but its hard to get a hold on that brand here.
System Drive Crucial CT120M500SSD1 2.5-inch 120GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
Data Drive WD 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Green
Both seems great choices.
Motherboard Gigabyte H87N-WIFI Motherboard (Intel H87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA/600, Mini ITX, Socket 1150)
I never have tried to do a Hackintosh, but i see a lot chose gigabyte for motherboards, not sure why or if any other brands are viable?

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:36 am

Hi Emilin,
I'm not an "old-experienced" spcr reader, but maybe I can add few comments. (and my last build was hackintosh)

Core i5 4570
What are the needs of your wife? What macbook she was using until now?
If it's just basic, you could go with i3-4330, which would reduce the cost also.
Still compatible for hackintosh, still with integrated HD4600.
The i3 is also smaller TDP (54W vs 84W), which means less heat to extract, less fan noise hopefully.

For the RAM, I agree with Abula. Low profile is good with your small case. Corsair is good compatible, no worries.
edh wrote:The RAM does seem a little over the top spec wise for a simple desktop system. More basic RAM would save a little money and may help give more CPU cooler clearence.
I'm not sure which RAM, edh was looking, but this Corsair seems to be the cheapest one, for £70. In black it's bit cheaper.
If you take the XMS3 or the Low profile, it will be smaller, allowing clearance for the CPU cooler.
(I had XMS basic one in my last hackintosh. I'll take the low profile in my next small ITX)
Abula wrote: I never have tried to do a Hackintosh, but i see a lot chose gigabyte for motherboards, not sure why or if any other brands are viable?
Gigabyte are the most compatible boards. Others are also compatible, but sometimes needs more hassle and configs.
This H87N-Wifi is the recommended one for mini ITX.
That's the one I am also planning for my future build (running Mac OSX)

About Be Quiet PSU, I had one in my previous computer (until last week... sold :cry: :mrgreen: ). It was great. I never had many builds (like other users here), so I cannot say it's better than my other 10. But for a first onr, I liked it. (Although I had the Straight Power, bit more expensive). it was good quality and very silent. (Be Quiet is well known around here in Germany/Austria. One of the best sold on amazon, that's why I took it in 2012)
I would definitely recommend modular PSU, when we build small factor and when we don't need 6 HDDs.
Even in my case TJ08-E, it was crazy to tuck nicely all the cables.

430W is overkill for sure. But at same time, there is no 250W modular or even 250W good PSU. (We were talking about it, in another thread here.)

PicoPSU is a good suggestion from Edh, in my opinion. (that's what I am planning)
I was running 40-60W with i3, SSD + 2 HDDs.
But if you are thinking a GPU later, then you have to count it from now.

The Node 304 is definitely great choice (which I almost took, after Abula's recommendation in my thread), especially if you are planning 3 HDDs later, + GPU.
It's £67 instead of £40 the CM Elite 130. Looking at the quality, I think it's worth the little additional cost.

emilin

Post by emilin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 am

Thanks for all replies.

CPU:

My list I had Intel Core i5 4570S which is only 65W. I wasn't sure if the i3 will be fast enough. My main PC is an i7 Hackintosh, I am very happy with it so wasn't sure how much slower it would be with an i3. I am worried that when she uses photoshop or lightroom it might get slow. Which i3 would you recommend? Is the GPU in the i3 as good as the one in the i5?

My choice £145
Intel Core i5 4570S Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 2.90GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 65W, Graphics, 4th Generation Core)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... ROKL5A1OLE

An option? £90
Intel Core i3 4130 Dual Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.4GHz, 3MB, 54W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... ROKL5A1OLE

Reviews of the i3 are a bit underwhelming though.

RAM:
For the RAM, I agree with Abula. Low profile is good with your small case. Corsair is good compatible, no worries.
edh wrote:
The RAM does seem a little over the top spec wise for a simple desktop system. More basic RAM would save a little money and may help give more CPU cooler clearance.

I'm not sure which RAM, edh was looking, but this Corsair seems to be the cheapest one, for £70. In black it's bit cheaper.
If you take the XMS3 or the Low profile, it will be smaller, allowing clearance for the CPU cooler.
(I had XMS basic one in my last hackintosh. I'll take the low profile in my next small ITX)
I think the low profile you recommend is ideal http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMX8GX3 ... r+ddr3+8gb

PSU:

Yes I want to have the flexibility of maybe adding a GPU later on so that's why I wan't keen on the Pico PSU. I hope there were external laptop-type PSUs with a bit more power.

emilin

Post by emilin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 am

Regarding the case, I was looking at the Node 304 and I really like it but my wife is keen on something small and kept saying how her computer at work is small :roll: Anyways I was going to go for it with the bonus that I could fit more drives (up o 6 HDD + 1 SDD) which would be great as future file server somewhere hidden away. But then I realized the Mini-Itx motherboards only support 4 SATA disks hence making me switch to the Elite 130. It is smaller and will be easier on her desk. The Elite 130 will fit 3 HDD plus 1 SDD which is what the board can do. I realize if noise is an issue I will need to invest in some better cooling.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:30 am

If she does a fair bit of Photoshop and Lightroom work, then get an i5.

S CPU: Either you need the horsepower or you don't. If you do, then get the non-S part. With any decent CPU cooler (which the Intel Box cooler isn't) it'll just be a few degrees C difference in temps at high loads.

Adding a graphics card later: is this for gaming or something else?

PSU: Better to stick with an ATX supply if you add a gfx card. The BeQuiet is a decent supply. You might want to wander pcpartpicker. You can pick up the Gold efficiency E9 for just a few bucks more.

Power use, a generalization: Most of the decent PSUs are quiet up to 50% load, and then fan ramp starts in earnest. So, you ought to think about the gfx card a bit b4 you size the supply.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:57 am

emilin wrote: I am worried that when she uses photoshop or lightroom it might get slow. Which i3 would you recommend? Is the GPU in the i3 as good as the one in the i5?
That's why I was asking the usage.
As confirmed by Steve, take the i5. (and i3-4130 had lower end integrated graphic than i3-4330)
But then I realized the Mini-Itx motherboards only support 4 SATA disks
There is the Asus H87I-PLUS which has 6 SATA, but I don't know if it's hard to "hackintosh" it

Also, SSD + 3x 4TB would give quite some space.
but my wife is keen on something small and kept saying how her computer at work is small
How small is her computer at work? (Mac Mini?)
making me switch to the Elite 130. It is smaller and will be easier on her desk.
Cut her 2 cardboard and show here the difference on table. :D
Elite 130: (W x H x D) 240 x 207.4 x 398.5 mm = 956 cm2 on the desk (19.8L)
Node 304: (W x H x D) 250 x 210 x 374 mm = 935 cm2 (19.5L)

I am not trying to sell you the Node. Not at all. (I have chosen a vertical vs horizontal case)
But the big thing I like from Node 304 is the PSU position, out of the way of the MB.
If later you want add a good heatsink, then you can go for a tall (and silent) one. Which is not possible in Elite 130.
Screenshot - 2014-01-03 , 15_59_04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emilin

Post by emilin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:41 pm

I have done the card board thing with both the Elite 130 and node 304, I didn't realise there were both almost the same size.

They are actually larger than I thought, still mini ITX and still called SFF.

Seeing that they are the same size I think we are going to go for the Node 304 (she wants white which makes it harder)
Quote:
But then I realized the Mini-Itx motherboards only support 4 SATA disks

There is the Asus H87I-PLUS which has 6 SATA, but I don't know if it's hard to "hackintosh" it

Also, SSD + 3x 4TB would give quite some space.
Asus isn't as good for Hackintosh.

Need to re-do the list of components after the advise...

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:30 pm

thierry. wrote:Cut her 2 cardboard and show here the difference on table. :D
Elite 130: (W x H x D) 240 x 207.4 x 398.5 mm = 956 cm2 on the desk (19.8L)
Node 304: (W x H x D) 250 x 210 x 374 mm = 935 cm2 (19.5L)
Good posting the actual specs, it was more convincing than all my links =)
emilin wrote:Asus isn't as good for Hackintosh.
Is gigabyte the only brand that work out with Hackintosh builds? Asrock any good?
emilin wrote:Seeing that they are the same size I think we are going to go for the Node 304 (she wants white which makes it harder)

Need to re-do the list of components after the advise...
The WAF is the most important factor, check the following

CASE = Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX (white), FD-CA-NODE-304-WHITE £66.30 + £7.00 UK delivery (Editor Choice on SPCR Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Case)
CPU Cooler = Scythe Mugen 4 £33.57 + £7.00 UK delivery (Editor Choice on SPCR Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back)
PSU = Be Quiet Straight Power E9 450W PSU £62.94 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK
MOBO = Gigabyte H87N-WIFI £89.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK
CPU = Intel Core i5 4670 £164.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK
Memory = Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9W Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) £69.51 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK (standard height, CL9, low voltage and white).
SSD = Crucial CT120M500SSD1 2.5-inch 120GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive £64.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK
HDD = WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green WD20EZRX £69.00 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:16 am

emilin wrote:Asus isn't as good for Hackintosh.
Abula wrote:Is gigabyte the only brand that work out with Hackintosh builds? Asrock any good?
Hackintosh are made also with Asrock, Asud, MSI. Like any PC.
These boards are just less trivial to config. Sometimes with extra files and extra modifications.
emilin wrote:Seeing that they are the same size I think we are going to go for the Node 304 (she wants white which makes it harder)
As you saw, it's big space on table.
If you prefer smaller foot print you will need to look at vertical case (vertical mobo). Like Lian Li. Or Cooltek.
But you can't put 4 HDDs inside.
Last edited by thierry. on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

emilin

Post by emilin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 am

She'll have to live with the loss of space, she likes the white one so that makes it a bonus.

I want an uncomplicated build, Gigabyte seems to be easier. My other PC is also Gigabyte. It just seems to be easier to configure setup, etc.

What would be the advantage of the other motherboard brands?

Since now I have more space for cooling, do you guys recommend a different PSU? (maybe fanless) @Thierry what PSU is there in the photo you shared?

Do you guys still think the low-powered version of the i5 isn't worth it? A few options about same price. I just thought the low powered would be easier to cool and performance seems the same.

£ 132 Intel Core i5 4440 Quad Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.10GHz, 6MB, 84W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit

£ 145 Intel Core i5 4570S Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 2.90GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 65W, Graphics, 4th Generation Core) - Intel

£ 145 Intel Core i5 4570 Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.20GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I54570, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vqoB

Thanks!

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 am

You are right, Gigabyte is the easiest for hackintosh.

Other motherboard are chosen, among SPCR users (and others), for the extra features they have.
Like the extra SATA we talked above. But it seems other boards have better BIOS functions (for example for the fans settings. I would to be able to tweak mine, but it was only with 2-3 single settings, nothing sophisticated)

The PSU in the picture is nothing to refer to. I took the picture from Google, just to show the tower cooler.
By the look of all the cable, all over like this, it's a cheap one. :mrgreen:
I used Be Quiet and I liked it. For modular, there is the Pure Power L8 CM 430W.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JRGVAW

Looking at Amazon.co.uk, I don't find the Seasonic G series, that are usually recommended on this forum.
I don't remember if the Corsair CMX, on the top of Amazon, are good for silence.

emilin

Post by emilin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks thierry.

Any comments on the CPU, I am still confused about the advantages/disadvantages of the 'S' models. I thought it would be cooler by itself hence easier to cool but it seems no-one is recommending going for those.. Thanks!
£ 132 Intel Core i5 4440 Quad Core CPU Retail (Socket 1150, 3.10GHz, 6MB, 84W, Extended Memory 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit

£ 145 Intel Core i5 4570S Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 2.90GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 65W, Graphics, 4th Generation Core) - Intel

£ 145 Intel Core i5 4570 Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.20GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I54570, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm

emilin wrote:Any comments on the CPU, I am still confused about the advantages/disadvantages of the 'S' models. I thought it would be cooler by itself hence easier to cool but it seems no-one is recommending going for those.. Thanks!
Personally i dont recommmend a S or T CPU unless you really need to, try to read the following thread, there are links to other forums and reviews that will help you decide if its right or not for you, Any experience with the Haswell T low power CPUs?.

emilin

Post by emilin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 am

Thank you very much all for your help... The parts have now been ordered, will update the forum once done!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £132.23)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For £89.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For £65.51)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For £63.00)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £63.60)
Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-304-WH Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For £59.99)
Other: Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W PSU (Purchased For £50.41)
Total: £524.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-07 11:32 GMT+0000)