Bluetooth headset solution for TV

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xev

Bluetooth headset solution for TV

Post by xev » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 am

Happy New Year!

I gave a new tv to my grandmother and she wants to be able to listen to it at night. So I was thinking bluetooth headset. The issue is that typical tv headsets are large and have an auto sensor. What I want is something that she can have lying next to her and still play the sound, without them being on her head.
Would any bluetooth headset work if i put a bluetooth emmitter into the usb slot in the tv? How would i even pair it if there's no bluetooth menu on the tv?

Any advice?

CA_Steve

Re: Bluetooth headset solution for TV

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Why not get a Bluetooth speaker instead? She can have it right next to her and have better sound quality than a headset that's not on her ears. I'm assuming the TV supports BT...

xev

Post by xev » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

A BT speaker is an option i considered as well. I dont know if the tv supports BT; I ran quickly through the settings menu and didn't see it, but seeing as its a current tv, it might.

I think headset might also be used on her head if it's light enough and extremely easy to get on. (She has movement issues). I guess I'll need to buy a few and get her to test them.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Bluetooth doesn't really suits TV, as bluetooth does introduce a minor lag, which is fine for audio only, but useless with video, as you will have audio out of sync with video. Unfortunately, if you want to experience wireless sound, without any lags, you will have to look at digital wireless solutions not based on bluetooth. I use Sennheiser RS160, but the cost was already above 100€, and this is pretty much the entry model for digital wireless headphones.