CPU Error on Fanless Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wheelconnector

CPU Error on Fanless Build

Post by wheelconnector » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:01 am

Hi,
Building my first silent PC, but after putting it together and turning it on, I just get a "CPU Fan Error / Press F1 to enter setup". So, I went into BIOS and disabled fan monitoring, but I still get the error. The motherboard is an Asus Q87T, and the case is an Akasa Euler. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

lodestar

Re: CPU Error on Fanless Build

Post by lodestar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Under the CPU Q-Fan Control setting in the BIOS is a CPU Fan Speed Low Limit setting. By default this is set to 200 rpm and in the absence of a CPU fan it is this that is generating the error message. But this should only happen when Q-Fan Control is enabled. So setting Q-Fan Control to disabled should turn off the error message. Or you could try enabling Q-Fan Control and changing the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit setting to Ignore, which again should stop the error message.

RXLA101

Post by RXLA101 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 am

wheelconnector wrote:Hi,
Building my first silent PC, but after putting it together and turning it on, I just get a "CPU Fan Error / Press F1 to enter setup". So, I went into BIOS and disabled fan monitoring, but I still get the error. The motherboard is an Asus Q87T, and the case is an Akasa Euler. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Were you able to try the suggestions below? If so, any luck? I am also getting the CPU Fan Error and haven't been able to fix, wondering if you had success. thanks!
Last edited by RXLA101 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelconnector

Post by wheelconnector » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am

Sorry! I didn't know anyone replied!
I also wrote Asus for some help, and they gave me the same suggestion as lodestar did. Changing the fanspeed low limit to Ignore got rid of the issue.
I'm now running into new problems though, as CPUID is saying that my mainboard is running at ~90C / 194F. Not sure if I should start a new topic on this one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wheelconnector

Post by wheelconnector » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 am

Just to give people an update:

My first Asus Q87T motherboard has failed after a few hours of operation. It wouldn't make it to POST. Went out to buy another, but am running the same temperatures. Not sure this board works with this case. :(

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:56 am

I guess you'd better posting some comprehensive sensors report screenshots, using software as HWiNFo, Open HW Monitor and the likes.

Anyway, the Akasa Euler would look like a good candidate to host a Thin-ITX system with a Q87T: http://www.atlastsolutions.com/fanless- ... asus-q87t/

A brand new, more focused thread would also be preferable, IMO.

wheelconnector

Post by wheelconnector » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:32 am

Attached screenshot shows different monitoring programs. Only one that can read the motherboard's temperatures, though, is CPUID. It shows 110C readings on the board. The screenshot was taken almost immediately after a fresh boot.
I made a log file with HWinfo, but I'm not sure how to post that here; it seems quite extensive.

On another note, Asus Germany (where I bought the boards) has written back in response to my temperature complaint:
"90 Grad ist schon eine recht hohe Temperatur. 1 Gehauesekuehler empfehlen wir mindestens bei solch einem Board."

Loosely translates to:
"90 degrees is a pretty high temperature. 1 case fan is recommended with this kind of board."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 am

Do a rough temp check carefully touching the chipset heatsink. Be careful since even temps in the 50s might be too hot to touch. If the heatsink isn't very hot, it might be a good idea to remove it and replace the heat transfer paste. Asus have not the best track record when it comes to these things...

What does the HW monitor in the BIOS say? Sometimes the sensors in various programs are way off, but I'm not an expert on the current tools.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Vicotnik wrote:it might be a good idea to remove it and replace the heat transfer paste.

If he did it, then he'd void the warranty.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:If he did it, then he'd void the warranty.
Good to point that out. I usually don't care so I don't think about that kind of stuff. :)