Silverstone FT02 180mm fans, are there better ones?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Silverstone FT02 180mm fans, are there better ones?

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 am

I ordered a Silverstone FT02 case, but I have my doubts about any fan included with a case. They usually are sub-par. How about these? Are they any good?

Is there a good 180mm fan you would recommend, to replace them with?

I can't buy any at the store (I checked), so I would have to order them.

Abula

Re: Silverstone FT02 180mm fans, are there better ones?

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:05 am

On my TJ08-E i used the included Silverstone AP181 for more than two years, and the fan is not bad as long as you undervolt it. SCPR has reviewed both the FT02 and TJ08-E, and got editors choice in both cases, read the reviews, in the TJ08-E they also undervolt a lot the frontal fan, which is the same as the one the FT02 comes with. Around 500rpm the fan is pretty decent, its not silent. Part of what makes this cases so good for aircooling is the fan, so i would first try to work with it. Asus motherboards with FanXpert2 will take this fan to 470rpms on idle,

Now if you didn't like the included fan even after undervolting, Phobia has some 180mm from what i remember there was one that was 25mm and another that was 32mm, some people said was better in tone, but most said they were worst in cooling.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 am

Cool to know it is a good fan. I read the review of the FT02, and it didn't seem to mention much in the department of fan complaints. I'll check out the Phobia's as well.

I ordered a fan controller, to down their voltage a bit. The fan controller I ordered is the Lamptron FC5 V2. It lets you display voltages along with rpm's, so I can down the voltage until I find the sweet spot. In the video I watched it displayed the rpm of several fans, which makes me think it took an average. I intend to connect the three to one controller so it's easy to adjust, hopefully that's not a bad idea. It will show the rpm readout, though how accurate it is I don't know with multiple fans on one readout.

Even though I have an Asus motherboard, I'm using the "case fans" connection for the cpu fans control, as they are 3 pin and do not adjust at all connected to the cpu header. Maybe if I got 4 pin fans it would adjust connected to the cpu connection, I don't know. I set the "case fans" settings adjust based on the cpu tempertures, so they track the temps well it seems. Also, my motherboard is Fan Xpert, not Fan Xpert II. It looks blue when you load it up, not red as shown above. Not sure what difference it makes.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 am

I have a question... if I connect a PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard, will it allow me to control the speed? I couldn't control it with 3 pin fans. I had to use the Chasis fan header. Is this why the 3 pin fans don't adjust when connected to the CPU_FAN header?

Are the 180mm fans PWM that come with the FT02? So I could basically split the CPU_FAN header three ways and connect the case fans to it, and adjust it with Fan Xpert?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:43 am

NetTechie wrote:I have a question... if I connect a PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard, will it allow me to control the speed? I couldn't control it with 3 pin fans. Is this why the 3 pin fans don't adjust when connected to the CPU_FAN header?
Depending on the motherboard, It should allow you to control a 4pin PWM fan on the 4pin PWM header (CPU_FAN), and in a lot of Asus motherboards you have the option to enter bios and switch the CPU_FAN header from PWM control to voltage control, by changing the Q-FAN from Auto to Advanced.
NetTechie wrote:Are the 180mm fans PWM that come with the FT02?
No the AP181 are 3pin fans not 4pin PWM fans.
NetTechie wrote:So I could basically split the CPU_FAN header three ways and connect the case fans to it, and adjust it with Fan Xpert?
Not recommmended that you run 3 fans from the same header, specially this AP181s, imo one per header should be fine. The graph that you see i posted, its done on CHA_FAN2 header so its on 4pin (fake 4pin, in reallity is voltage controlled aka 3pin header). This will all depend on the motherboard and the version of fanXpert.

Look into the suggestion i made on your fan controller for a very similar thing to what you want to do with the CPU_FAN header controlling all 3 AP181s, it converts the 4pin PWM singal from the CPU_FAN header (if its set to Auto in the bios) and converts it voltage control (simply unvervolts the fans based on the PWM singal).

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 am

So if I connect a PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header, it can control it's speed?

Like one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16104 ... 36c15s1500

Or maybe three, with this thing?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10350 ... CB002.html

Looks like it gets it's power for the three fans from the PSU, so one header would be safe with that adapter.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 am

NetTechie wrote:So if I connect a PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header, it can control it's speed?

Like one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16104 ... 36c15s1500

Or maybe three, with this thing?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10350 ... CB002.html

Looks like it gets it's power for the three fans from the PSU, so one header would be safe with that adapter.
In theory yes, this is how i have 4 fans on one header on my build, and connected to a Swiftech 8-Way PWM Cable Splitter - SATA Power (8W-PWM-SPL-ST), but this will depend on the motherboard, on mine works pretty well and on my old Asus Maximus GENE Z IV did aswell and on my Asus Maximus IV GENE also work well, but remember you will be limited by what the motherboard can do, so yes you can do what you are thinking, but the restictions will come from the motherboard and how it can control PWM fans on the CPU_FAN header.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:23 am

Neat, I didn't stumble on that SATA adapter!

Ok, so only one PWM fan is needed then, to supply the RPM signal, then the rest can be 3 pin?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 am

NetTechie wrote:Neat, I didn't stumble on that SATA adapter!

Ok, so only one PWM fan is needed then, to supply the RPM signal, then the rest can be 3 pin?
No, this is how the Sunbeam fan controller works, not the splitters you or i have posted, those are just splitter, meaning you will need all fans connected to it to be 4pin, if you connect 3pin fans to it they will run at full 12V, if you connect 4pin pwm fans they will all run at the same PWM singal, meaning if all are fan are the same brand and model, same rpms, if they are different will depend into how each fan was design to run under PWM singal.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 am

Interesting, and complicated. Safe bet would be use all the same brand fans, so the PWM signal isn't different.

Since all the fans currently are 3 pin, my cpu fans, my 180mm case fans, I think I might be better off getting a fan controller.

The controller you linked looks cool though. Maybe there is an adapter that would do the same thing, not using the front of the case though, considering the whole thing has nothing to do with the knobs when you switch it to convert to PWM mode? If I understand it correctly.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:03 am

NetTechie wrote:Interesting, and complicated. Safe bet would be use all the same brand fans, so the PWM signal isn't different.
Yes, but you can work between brands as long as you know the range of operation on PWM singal. And on "PWM signal isn't different" is not that its different, the PWM singal send by the CPU_FAN header is the same for all, its the fans that are design different, meaning some will be 600rpm under 10% pwm signal and some will be 200rpm, etc, this is what would happen on chosing different fans if you dont plan accordingly, this would be avoided if you chose the same fans for all slots, but this is not completely needed, its just easier.
NetTechie wrote:Since all the fans currently are 3 pin, my cpu fans, my 180mm case fans, I think I might be better off getting a fan controller.
Fan controllers has been the easiest way to control fans for years, so its a safe bet, you just use 3pin fans and leave them to steady rpm to whatever the fan can go to or the fan controller can lower the voltage, and change it manually according to how much noise/cooling you want, but to me automatically fan speeds according to the CPU temperature is what im in to, i used a lot of fan controllers in the past, and i never move them, so i always leave them at a steady voltage/rpms, so i prefer i dont have to interact with it and let the motherboard change the rpms when the temperature is rising, but all this will come with careful planning and chosing the right fans and motherboard.
NetTechie wrote:The controller you linked looks cool though. Maybe there is an adapter that would do the same thing, not using the front of the case though
The FT02 has a ton of 5.25 slots, so i would use one of those, that said, there are 3.5 versions (i cant find one atm online but there was a diskette size) there is also the PCI version that i think controls 2 fans if im not mistaken, Sunbeamtech PL-RS-PCI Rheosmart PCI Fan Controller.
NetTechie wrote:considering the whole thing has nothing to do with the knobs when you switch it to convert to PWM mode? If I understand it correctly.
In theory yes, but i dont know for sure as i dont own one, but i would find convinient the knobs for let say you are using a tons of fan, different or the same, for example the FT02 has 3x AP181, each would go to its own connection on the sunbeam, but let say you doing heavy encoding and only the CPU is getting taxed, you can leave the one that cools the hdds and gpus in PWM/Voltage mode and just unleash the 3rd AP181 and pump the speed of it to cooler more the CPU, etc. And even then let say you have other CPU fans, and you dont like the low rpms the controller is given by default, you can also take them out of the control and still use the knobs. Again all is about preferences and what you want to achieve, but careful planning is important so you end up with multiple solutions to what you will face.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

Basically there is no point to order PWM versions of the 180mm fans then, just get one of these handy devices and it essentially does the same exact thing.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 am

NetTechie wrote:Basically there is no point to order PWM versions of the 180mm fans then, just get one of these handy devices and it essentially does the same exact thing.
I wouldnt say no point, it all depends into how you will run your setup, for example i run full PWM fans all slots, but my motherboards has 2 true PWM fan headers that i can setup and control from the bios. But each setup is different and it will all depend on a lot of things, specially the motherboard. But for your setup, i would first try the included fans, the FT02 is a good case for its design, but also their fans are a big part into how capable the case is, personally if i had it, i wouldnt take them out before testing them and see if they can work out. The Sunbeam is a way to make it work, another would be an FanXpert2 motherboard that you could connect each of the 3 AP181 to a CHA_FAN header, and the last i would do is a fan controller could be the sunbeam or the lamptron or scythe, etc.

Dont buy fan nor controllers, wait for the case to arrive, test it with your motherboard, i think you said had fanxpert (not the 2), see how it goes from there, see if you can control the AP181 with each CHA_FAN header, if its not capable then you can decide if you go the fan controller route or the changing the fans, etc. Personally i think its better to go slow and test what you own and dont spend extra until you need to.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks, this PWM discussion has really helped.

As for replacement fans, looks like there is another 180mm fan available... for cheap! Wonder how well it works at silencing?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19476 ... 36c15s1500

And in Blue LED:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11768 ... SM-CB.html

Edit: They have 140mm mount holes, can't use it directly on a 180mm application. Guess they don't count. Looks like the only alternative to stock is the Phobya fans.