Anyone know about Akasa fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Anyone know about Akasa fans?

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:51 am

Looks like they make a blue LED 180mm fan that might fit nicely in my case. But are they quiet?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11768 ... html#blank

I'm going to turn them down with motherboard controls, so it's more a question of how quiet can they get while still cooling. Quiet enough to be considered silent?

Edit: Just noticed it has 140mm mounts. Weird. Wonder if that would even mount on a Silverstone FT02 case. It would certainly require removing the fan filters, not a wise idea.

edh

Re: Anyone know about Akasa fans?

Post by edh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:52 pm

General consensus here is that LED fans are tacky. By being clear it is often said that they are noisier as the plastics are stiffer although I'm not convinced on that point myself. I'd still avoid LEDs. Also this fan as you have noticed has 140mm mounting holes and no you won't be able to use it on an FT02 without modification. Fans of this style may also have worse problems with vibration as the frame has little stiffness given the lack of triangulation at the corners.

I do have good experience with 120mm Akasas though. They have made some good fans but not much has changed for years and they're not a popular choice here, maybe availability more than anything as I have never had problems with them and certainly better than standard Silverstone's in my experience.