Switch to Intel for heat reasons?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Switch to Intel for heat reasons?

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:54 pm

I've got a FX-8350 AMD processor, and a motherboard I plan to replace for one with more slots. If I replace the motherboard I could sell the AMD processor on eBay and get an Intel setup since they run cooler. Think it's worth it?

Abula

Re: Switch to Intel for heat reasons?

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:40 pm

NetTechie wrote:I've got a FX-8350 AMD processor, and a motherboard I plan to replace for one with more slots. If I replace the motherboard I could sell the AMD processor on eBay and get an Intel setup since they run cooler. Think it's worth it?
The FX 8350 is a very good processor for the money, pesronally i havent done an AMD build in 6 years, so idk really how goes, but intel quads are much more capable and in theory run cooler and consume less energy, the cooler running.... might still be true with the none hyperthreaded, but hypertheared... they run very hot on load.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Really? I might find the i7's run as hot as the FX-8350 under full load? No advantage to switch then, my problem is under full load gaming the AMD gets hot. But at idle it runs cool enough to be silent. I was hoping to quiet it down under load, but maybe that's not what would happen!

How stable is an intel at higher temps? My AMD gets unstable at 65c.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:03 pm

NetTechie wrote:Really? I might find the i7's run as hot as the FX-8350 under full load? No advantage to switch then, my problem is under full load gaming the AMD gets hot. But at idle it runs cool enough to be silent. I was hoping to quiet it down under load, but maybe that's not what would happen!

How stable is an intel at higher temps? My AMD gets unstable at 65c.
Well my i7 and others have reached 80C under prime or encoding, but the i seen multiple i5 4670K that the most the reach is 65C with quiet components, not dead silent but quiet.

You might want to wait some time to change your FX, intel is planning on releasing a refresh on Haswell, Intel will release 20 New Haswell CPUs in May, which i personally dont understand, it should been broadwell, but maybe they are milking us with refreshes and delaying broadwell.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 pm

So the i7's can tolerate 80c and not cause lockups? I've experienced my lockups while gaming.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:36 pm

NetTechie wrote:So the i7's can tolerate 80c and not cause lockups? I've experienced my lockups while gaming.
This is not a common thing, only prime95 or stress test can take it there, normal stuff like games i never pass 65C. But i never had a lockup on prime95 at those temps on pirme95, personally i think its too hot, but really depends into how intel design it.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 pm

I've never tried running stress tests on it, but I know games lock up around 65c. Wonder if the games would lock up on the Intel processor at those temps too? It would be worth the switch if the Intel is able to run games at 80c and remain stable.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 am

Intel runs cooler *when doing the same work*.
Of course Intel sells CPUs which run hot. But they do more work than hot AMDs.
Odds are, you have little or no use for an i7.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

Well, most of my work doesn't ever stress the processor enough to heat it above say 32c.

Only time it gets hot is gaming, and that's where I have problems, it gets very hot and unstable, so I have to increase the noise.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:29 am

Can't you simply underclock then?
Game at slightly lower settings until you upgrade that box if need be.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 am

I have definitely considered that. I've never underclocked before though. Kind of new to it.

But if an Intel i7 can run at higher temps while staying stable, the AMD isn't so much a hot processor as a badly designed one, that can't tolerate heat. It might be worth the upgrade to get rid of the bad design.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 am

I don't think it's so much bad design as AMD trying to push the limits of their technology.
Intel has much better tech, a whole lot more money and so forth. It's not equal competition as far as the CPU part of the chips is concerned (I'm not talking about the integrated graphics).
Intel cripples most of its CPUs. The default settings (which you are often not allowed to touch) are conservative to extremely conservative and as a result the CPUs typically run without a hitch.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:54 am

AMD is presently a bad choice for gaming. Intel has dominated gaming benchmarks for years. All while being quite a bit more energy efficient.
AMD has inferior per-core-performance and has been compensating that by giving you "more cores per dollar". While that's nice and dandy, you'll need software that utilizes those extra cores and that is primarily encoding, rendering, virtualization, database, that kind of stuff.
Games - not so much.

There is a chance that with the PS4 and Xbox One both using 8-core AMD chips, in a year or so games will start being optimized for multi-core chips.

Seeing as your prime problem is heat-related, I'd suggest you get a better CPU cooler first. I take it you have the boxed cooler, which would explain the bad performance. Get an HR-2(2), they are cross-platform, so even if you decide to dump the AMD eventually, you can reuse the cooler.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 am

Actually, surprisingly the cooler I am using is a Corsair H60 self-contained water cooler, which hits 60c and above as soon as I load up a game. I am not using the included fan though, I'm using two 70cfm fans in push-pull, and are a lot less noisy. It could partly be room temps involved, as the room is hot. But it still seems like it should do better. I'm going to put a push-pull setup on a heatsink and see if it performs as badly. Maybe water coolers just aren't efficient. If an Intel could handle the same temps and stay stable, that would be a reason to switch though.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:59 am

I am no expert on CPU and temps, but looking at what you explain... could there be a problem on your current set up? Not a good heat dissipation?

I always read that CPU is not so much used in games, but the GPU.

Abula also says that he gest 65°C on games and a max of 85°C with Prime95. He's clearly not at max temp on gaming.

Maybe you could also run a stress test and see until where it goes with your CPU.

I can understand that your AMD can't run as fast as an Intel, but there should still be a margin before it locks down...

Did you say what games you play?
(I got bit lost of the numerous topics you created, with some info here and there...)

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:32 am

Really no reason to go with i7 4770K unless you do encoding or any heavy cpu task that benefits form hyperthreading. Save yourself 10C just by going with the i5 4670K, the performance in gaming will be the same, and its still a more capable cpu than the FX8350, the only thing you lose is 100mhz and hyperthreading over the 4770K, but running cooler will help you turn down the fans or even allow you some overclocking, that will result in better performance in gaming than the hyperthreading on the 4770k. I did went with the 4770K because i do encode and i want to stream someday.... but i do regret the consequences, i should have gone with the 4670K and then upgraded to haswell E, but thats life. Save yourself $100 and invest it a better motherboard, better GPU, better cpu cooler, or even keep it on your pockets, its a better deal overall.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:35 am

NetTechie wrote:Actually, surprisingly the cooler I am using is a Corsair H60 self-contained water cooler
I thought you didn't trust watercooling?
which hits 60c and above as soon as I load up a game. I am not using the included fan though, I'm using two 70cfm fans in push-pull
I have to second thierry here, it sounds like your setup is flawed. Have you tried re-mounting the cooler? Maybe you used to much thermal paste (look around the web for pictures of how much is good)?

The HR-2(2) will not provide better cooling performance than an H60!
Maybe water coolers just aren't efficient.
They are. And beat just about any air cooler.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

tim851 wrote:I have to second thierry here, it sounds like your setup is flawed. Have you tried re-mounting the cooler? Maybe you used to much thermal paste (look around the web for pictures of how much is good)?

The HR-2(2) will not provide better cooling performance than an H60!
That was my first thought too.

tim851 wrote:They are. And beat just about any air cooler.
In cooling performance yes, in noise no :D

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:45 pm

thierry. wrote:Did you say what games you play?
I didn't mention them, Call of Duty Ghosts and Battlefield 4 are the two I currently have been playing.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:46 pm

tim851 wrote:I thought you didn't trust watercooling?
Lately I decided it was a risk not worth taking, so that is another reason to switch to a heatsink. When I got it they misinformed me about them at the store, claiming that they wouldn't fry the motherboard if they leaked because they said they use a "non conductive fluid". Dumb person at the store I think.