PSU orientation and its effect on establishing airflow

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qualdoth

PSU orientation and its effect on establishing airflow

Post by qualdoth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:27 am

I'm posting this here as it isn't specific to PSUs, or fans, but rather, a combination of both.

My latest build is built around an Antec Solo II, which includes a air intake cutout on top of the case (towards the back). You can clearly see this if you have a look at any pictures. This air intake is in the general vicinity of the case where the PSU is mounted.

If you mount the PSU in the traditional (right side up) orientation, the PSU fan as well as the case's exhaust fan (which is on the back panel) are very close to one another, both drawing air in from the same general area of the case (top back). During my build, I thought, why not install the PSU upside down, thereby having the PSU fan make use of the extra air intake on top of the case. This would allow me to establish two independent airflow paths through the system:

1) One for the PSU only, intake through top of the case exhaust out the back of the PSU.
2) Traditional flow of intake through the front of the case, exhaust out the back.

Can you folks think of any downsides of doing this?

quest_for_silence

Re: PSU orientation and its effect on establishing airflow

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 pm

qualdoth wrote:Can you folks think of any downsides of doing this?

As far as I know, the only right method to mount any PSU with a large fan in such an enclosure (top mounting) is just mounting it with the PSU fan facing upwards (so, providing that I correctly understood you, there cannot be any downside).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Top mounted PSUs were intended to act as auxiliary exhaust fans, and they should work like this in the Solo II regardless of whether they are positioned fan up or fan down. This assumes the fan in the PSU is running. With a fanless PSU there will probably be an airflow into the case caused by the exhaust fan being positioned immediately below it. The same would apply to a hybrid PSU at loads below the fan triggering point.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:11 pm

qualdoth wrote:During my build, I thought, why not install the PSU upside down, thereby having the PSU fan make use of the extra air intake on top of the case. This would allow me to establish two independent airflow paths through the system:

1) One for the PSU only, intake through top of the case exhaust out the back of the PSU.
2) Traditional flow of intake through the front of the case, exhaust out the back.

Yes, I think this is the proper way to install the PSU in that case. Same with some other cases like the SilverStone Temjin TJ08-E.

qualdoth

Post by qualdoth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, folks. I'm glad that I was on the ball with my assertion of how to handle this. Just wanted to double check as none of my previous cases ever had this sort of an additional air intake (even my previous Solo cases).

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Yes - the effect of a liquid spill!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:34 pm

qualdoth wrote:
cant put a twelve pack of pabst on the top of comp anymore?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 pm

It's a hot exhaust, people. It's where you put your slice of pizza to keep it warm.