Question about the Fractal Design Define R4

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

joeythebull

Question about the Fractal Design Define R4

Post by joeythebull » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 am

The Fractal Design Define R4 comes in a variety of colors, some with, some without a window.

I don't care what color it is and I don't care if it has a window or not although I have a slight preference for not. My question is, when it comes to sound dampening, does having the window make the case louder or does it not matter?

Edit: From images, it seems like the non-window version has a vent where the window was while the window versions have a solid window. If so, wouldn't this change the whole airflow/sound dynamic based simply on whether or no their was an additional vent?

CA_Steve

Re: Question about the Fractal Design Define R4

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:12 am

If you replace metal+sound dampening material with a piece of plastic, what do you think will happen? :)

As with all builds, it mostly depends on the components you put inside the case.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:47 am

CA_Steve wrote:If you replace metal+sound dampening material with a piece of plastic, what do you think will happen? :)
I agree that it would seem the plastic would be louder, but I don't design cases and don't know if this was compensated for in another way. It's not simply replaced with metal+sound dampening material. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that the non-window version actually includes a vent there. This is a very popular and commonly recommended case so I was hoping for a more involved explanation rather than snarky speculation.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm

While there is a side panel vent on the non-windowed version, it's optional to use it and it comes covered with more sound dampening material. So, it's not a primary noise source.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 am

CA_Steve wrote:While there is a side panel vent on the non-windowed version, it's optional to use it and it comes covered with more sound dampening material. So, it's not a primary noise source.
Thanks for your reply. So is it fair to say the quietest way to use this case is to get the non-windowed version and to not use the optional side vent? I'm planning to use this case for a fairly powerful gaming build, but I won't be doing any overclocking so I'm hoping I can use it without the extra vent to reduce noise.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 am

In general, yes. In specific, there might be build where the noise emitted by having the side fan populated is more than offset by the lowering of noise from another component. Doubtful, but possible.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:23 am

CA_Steve wrote:In general, yes. In specific, there might be build where the noise emitted by having the side fan populated is more than offset by the lowering of noise from another component. Doubtful, but possible.
Cool. Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Have a good one.