Cpu Cooler for Fractal Node 304 Build

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

habusho

Cpu Cooler for Fractal Node 304 Build

Post by habusho » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am

Hi,
I just purchased a Fractal Node 304 along with an Asus H87m-Pro motherboard based on the recommendations of this forum.
This system will be basically used for CCTV recording and most likely will not have a GPU installed.
I was wondering if there was a suitable QUIET cpu cooler that you guys would recommend for this system? I know the Fractal 304 has a 165mm height available for a cooler but I thought that there might be some issues with some cooloers because of the tight quarters.

fuugu

Re: Cpu Cooler for Fractal Node 304 Build

Post by fuugu » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-80EH.php

This should be good, 113mm tall, completely passive.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:06 pm

What's the CPU? That'll determine how much of a cooler you'll need.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 pm

habusho wrote:I just purchased a Fractal Node 304 along with an Asus H87m-Pro motherboard based on the recommendations of this forum.
Are you sure thats the model of the motherboard? the Node 304 is a mini ITX motherboard, the H87m-Pro is a micro ATX motherboard, it wont fit. The available on haswell for mini ITX from asus are,

ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT
ASUS Z87I-DELUXE
ASUS H87I-PLUS
ASUS H81I-PLUS
habusho wrote:I know the Fractal 304 has a 165mm height available for a cooler but I thought that there might be some issues with some cooloers because of the tight quarters.
I think it can fit easily higher than than 165mm, this is what most standard cases with 120mm on the back, on the node 304 it has a 140 and still some space left over, my guess is it can easily fit a 175mm cooler probably more.
habusho wrote:I was wondering if there was a suitable QUIET cpu cooler that you guys would recommend for this system?
I like fuugu suggestion, btu im not sure it will fit with the hdd cables. What CPU and what load do you expect it to be at?

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 pm

No GPU = Thermalright HR-02 Macho/HR-22/Corator DS.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:38 pm

faugusztin wrote:No GPU = Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Depending on the hdds orientation this would mean no CPU fan, and probably no back fan either, the hr02 goes so fan back that it will take the back case fan slot. Might or not be an issue only with 2 frontal 92mm.
faugusztin wrote:No GPU = Thermalright HR-22
Im almost sure this wont fit, its 20mm further than HR02, if the hr02 dont allow the back fan, this means there is less than 25mm into where the hr02 passes into, and hr22 being 20mm deeper there is good chance it will not fit.
faugusztin wrote:No GPU = Corator DS.
A twin tower cooler has a good chance of fitting with the back fan case fan and with the middle fan, just a matter of checking if the front tower will allow the hdd installation and cables.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 am

I had Corator DS there, i know that one will fit for sure, but i didn't used any of the HDD mounts when i had it in my system.
Currently i have HR-02 oriented towards the right side (away from the PCI-E slot), because i needed a GPU on a system, sure, it blocked all inner HDD mount points, but i was still able to use the outermost ones :

When looking at HR-02 drawing, it is possible that it would block the back fan, but to be honest, the whole thing is so close to the back of the case that it is pretty much the same thing even if you would have the fan mounted on the heatsink.
Considering the way i mounted the whole thing, we talk about 6mm difference at best between mount towards the side vs mount towards the back panel considering the drawing of the cooler. There was this much "free space" after i mounted HR-02 :
NF-A14 is 25mm wide, so without the back fan, all three of the coolers hould be doable, with the back fan it is Corator DS for sure and HR-02 probably.

Another alternative is just to get one of those thin coolers, like NH-U12S.

habusho

Post by habusho » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:43 am

Woops, I just realized that I bought the wrong motherboard... Damn

Anyway, the CPU is an Intel Core i5-4430