Best CPU cooler that does not block first pci slot?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Best CPU cooler that does not block first pci slot?

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 am

What cpu coolers are there that clearly do not block the first pci express slot, while also being good for silencing? It seems most of them are big, and are a close fit or worse with the first slot.

What cooler will safely fit without being so close? The HR-22 blocks it, at 150mm wide. I'm going to move that cooler to my AMD system and so I'm looking for something that will open up all my slots on my MSI Mpower motherboard (it has 7).

Abula

Re: Best CPU cooler that does not block first pci slot?

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57 am

Unless your GPU has the mounting bracket or screws on the back, it shouldnt touch, thermalright design it asymmetrical so it wouldn't touch the first PCI slot, even the new Silver Arrow IBE will be the same measurement toward the PCIe slot. It has the same lenght from the center of the CPU socket to the end as the HR02, i used the HR02 on two builds on TJ08-E with gpus on the first pcie, and i also did another on PS-07, in all 3 builds is at mm but it doesn't touch unless the gpu is weight toward the CPU. On my latest build im using the HR22 (also used for couple of months the HR02) and i have a Intel CT Gigabit card on the first PCIe slot, and it doesn't touch, again its very close but its fine on all my builds. Ill leave you some pics to see what i mean.

A less wide cooler that its recommended by SPCR is the Scythe Mugen 4, it should be less wide than the HR22/HR02, 130mm vs 140mm, so its like 5mm less per side, so thats what you will gain over the HR22, weather that enough its up to you to cross check. Check more info the SPCR Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back, you can find a lot of info there, including the fan ran on asus mobo on both pwm and voltage controlled. Its fairly good for $50, probably one of the most recommended lately here in SPCR.

If you want to spend more, there are other option, look into Prolimatech Megahalems, was reviewed some time ago by SPCR, Prolima Megahalems: A Mega Nehalem Cooler, it should be slightly less wide than the HR22/HR02, 130mm on the Mega vs 140mm on HR02 (the hr22 is the same for practical purposes as its wider but asymmetrical ends up with the same from center to the first PCIe). Its expensive, and doesnt come with fans, it should mount any 120mm standard fan, prolimatech also sells the 140mm vortex slim that suppose to be very good, they are pwm and drop to around 460rpms on idle and around 1200 on full load, you could even run a pull push as the cooler doesnt go as deep to the back of the case, if you do want to use those fans, you should consider buying also the clips to mount them, here is a screenshot of FanXpert2 that i ran some months ago,

Another alternative on a less wide cooler is Noctua NH-U12S, this will end up cheaper as it comes with a fan already, was also reviewed by SPCR, Noctua NH-U12S Slim Tower Heatsink, you can find others like thermalright spirit 120 or the Macho 120, etc.
Last edited by Abula on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:06 am

Wow, good clearences. I put a card in the slot, or at least I tried, and it had to slant sideways to even slide into the slot, while touching the heatsink (power up the system and I'd have had smoke). I considered moving the cooler sideways a bit in it's mount, but when I went to do that I noticed it's pretty much as far sideways as it would go already, while still being able to screw in the mounting screw. So this motherboard just made it a lot closer than the ones you showed. I think my only option would be to go with a 120mm wide heatsink, or thereabouts. I'll check out the ones you linked and read reviews. I didn't consider those narrower heatsinks initially when researching. The Noctua seems tempting as it's a brand I haven't tried, but unfortunately you have to wait a long time for wires to mount a second fan. Not sure if that would effect my decision or not.
Last edited by NetTechie on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 am

NetTechie wrote:Wow, good clearences. I put a card in the slot, or at least I tried, and it had to slant sideways to even slide into the slot, while touching the heatsink (power up the system and I'd have had smoke). I considered moving the cooler sideways a bit in it's mount, but when I went to do that I noticed it's pretty much as far sideways as it would go already, while still being able to screw in the mounting screw. So this motherboard just made it a lot closer than the ones you showed. I think my only option would be to go with a 120mm wide heatsink, or thereabouts. I'll check out the ones you linked and read reviews. I didn't consider those narrower heatsinks initially when researching. The Noctua seems tempting as it's a brand I haven't tried, but unfortunately you have to wait a long time for wires to mount a second fan. Not sure if that would effect my decision or not.
Whats the brand/model is the motherboard?
NetTechie wrote:Edit: Will the Prolima Megahalems fit a 1150? It shows LGA 1155 but no 1150 anywhere.
1150 (haswell) = 1155 (ivy bridge) = 1156 (sandy bridge), all have the same distance on the mounting holes and CPU bracket, a lot of CPU coolers that were released before haswell dont say they are, but they should be, as long as it fits 1156/1155 it should fit fine 1150. Look also into the Mugen 4, i was also editing while you posted.
Last edited by Abula on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 am

Abula wrote:Whats the brand/model is the motherboard?
My new MSI Mpower.

By the way, will the Prolima Megahalems fit a 1150? It shows LGA 1155 but no 1150 anywhere.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:19 am

NetTechie wrote:
Abula wrote:Whats the brand/model is the motherboard?
My new MSI Mpower.

By the way, will the Prolima Megahalems fit a 1150? It shows LGA 1155 but no 1150 anywhere.
1150 (haswell) = 1155 (ivy bridge) = 1156 (sandy bridge), all have the same distance on the mounting holes and CPU bracket, a lot of CPU coolers that were released before haswell dont say they are, but they should be, as long as it fits 1156/1155 it should fit fine 1150, but feel free to crosscheck with the manufacturer, prolimatech in my experience, answer emails fairly fast on weekdays. Look also into the Mugen 4, i was also editing while you posted.

If MSI MPower has different socket placment (i doubt it) and you cant fit 120mm coolers, then you will have to go into 92mm, but this is going to reflect on the temperatures. Expect around 5mm gain on space going from the HR22 to the Mugen4 or Megashadow, but more you will need a smaller cooler, look other style of coolers, maybe noctua nh-c14.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:24 am

I moved my edit, sorry I didn't wait :/

Umm, it'll almost fit 150mm, so I think 130mm should work, and 120mm definitely should. I think 1cm clearance should be enough... assuming it isn't a noctua with a nice big fan clip sticking out to fry stuff.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:35 am

NetTechie wrote:I moved my edit, sorry I didn't wait :/

Umm, it'll almost fit 150mm, so I think 130mm should work, and 120mm definitely should. I think 1cm clearance should be enough... assuming it isn't a noctua with a nice big fan clip sticking out to fry stuff.
Both the mugen n megahalems have 130mm, so crosscheck well what clearance you have, 150mm of the hr22 is cant be measured like that as its asymetrical, its 70 from the left to the center 80mm from center to the right = 150mm, the HR02 has 70mm toward both sides = 140mm, the Mugen 4 and Megahelams seems to have 130mm so its 65mm per side, what you gain over the HR22/H02 is around 5mm toward the first PCIe slot. Here some pictures of the clips

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 am

Abula wrote:Both the mugen n megahalems have 130mm, so crosscheck well what clearance you have, 150mm of the hr22 is cant be measured like that as its asymetrical, its 70 from the left to the center 80mm from center to the right = 150mm, the HR02 has 70mm toward both sides = 140mm, the Mugen 4 and Megahelams seems to have 130mm so its 65mm per side, what you gain over the HR22/H02 is around 5mm toward the first PCIe slot.
I saw you say that but didn't realize what it meant. Thanks for explaining it. I'd have ended up with a cooler that didn't fit for sure. Ok... 5mm isn't going to do it I don't think.

Just for comparison, the Macho 120 is 120mm wide, if my math is right that'd be 10mm clearence? 10mm should be enough. Wonder what other good heatsinks are this width.

Edit: Looks like the Hyper 212 is also 120mm, but with 4 heatpipes.
Last edited by NetTechie on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:48 am

NetTechie wrote:I'd have ended up with a cooler that didn't fit for sure. Ok... 5mm isn't going to do it I don't think.
Here its up to you to check, but i kinda doubt that a high end motherboard like Mpower would have much less space than GD-65, then again could be the GPU you are trying to put there that has stuff sticking on the back.

Now one thing that you do have to realize is that that Haswell quads do run hot, the smaller you go on cooler you will either have to increase rpms or accept much higher temperatures, personally i think the Mugen 4 should work out, but i dont own your hardware nor i seen a picutre of your problem so i cant say for sure. The Noctua NH-U12S is slightly narrower, but not by much, its 125mm vs 130mm from the mugen4/megahelms, so at the end is 2.5mm less per side, so you end up with 7.5mm less than your current situation with the HR22. If you need more clearance.... look into smaller cooler, like Noctua NH-U9 or Coolermaster TX3, but going smaller you will sacrifice either temperature or noise, i wouldn't go that small on an i7 4770k.

The Mugen 4 is a very good cooler, recommend daily on SPCR forums, reviewed by SCPR and got the editors choice, its cheap for the performance and quality you get, and also been reviewed by overclocking sites like HardOCP with good remarks and golden awards, overall this is what i would go with, but as i said i don't own your hardware to guarantee it will work out.
Last edited by Abula on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:51 am

The Noctua has a big wire sticking out of the clip, not sure how far but that could make it hit unless it were wrapped in electrical tape or such. Maybe I could replace the fan clips with something else though. I heard the Megahalems fan clips fit Nactua NH-D14's.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:56 am

NetTechie wrote:The Noctua has a big wire sticking out of the clip, not sure how far but that could make it hit unless it were wrapped in electrical tape or such. Maybe I could replace the fan clips with something else though. I heard the Megahalems fan clips fit Nactua NH-D14's.
The megahalem might or not work out, the 140mm is a very similar frame as the Thermarlight TY147 / Noctua NF-A15, just slightly less thick, and that sides have been starighten sort of speak... but still its a 140mm fan so edges might go a little over the cooler, the mugen 4 seems like a better bet imo, as the fan is inside from the mounting, and clips seems inside also, the question is weather that 5mm will be enough or not.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:02 am

I think I'd rather play it safe and get a cooler that gives 10mm clearance. Just to be sure. I edited my post above when you posted, but I mentioned maybe I could consider the Macho 120 as it is 120mm wide, or something like it if there is a better one (I don't care about price) that is also that wide.

At 120mm deep the Macho 120 seems a pretty nice sized cooler, considering it is the same width as the Hyper 212 which is only 80mm deep. I've found no other coolers as nice as the Macho 120. Now with Rev. A available, I think it looks pretty too, like a HR-22 full nickel plating.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:22 am

Abula wrote:1150 (haswell) = 1155 (ivy bridge) = 1156 (sandy bridge)

Just a very not important note: 1156 = Clarkdale.

Abula wrote:but more you will need a smaller cooler, look other style of coolers, maybe noctua nh-c14.

IIRC the C14 is not less wide than any of the mentioned tower coolers (or better still, AFAIK it's actually wider than most of them).

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 am

I found a review of the Macho 120, with some good pictures, with side by side pictures of it next to a HR-02. Looks like it's just narrower, not much shorter. Pictorial views of the measurements helps me see what it'll look like when it gets here.

http://blog.daum.net/lovenabi_/472

Review isn't in english unfortunately.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 am

NetTechie wrote:Review isn't in english unfortunately.

Man, please... Image ;-)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... -120-Rev-A

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:23 am

I already read the above review, but it has no photos comparing it to the Macho HR-02 :cry:

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 am

Just as an update to this thread, I ordered the Macho 120, since it has 1cm clearance over the HR-22. Should leave enough room for a card in the first pci slot, while being 120mm deep so hopefully it will cool decently with a couple fans on it.
Last edited by NetTechie on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 pm

I installed the Macho 120 tonight, and it gives ample clearance for the first pci slot on my motherboard. Beware though, that the fan mounting pins do stick out way past the edge of the heatsink, with a 120mm fan, using up a lot of the clearance the smaller heatsink gives. Unlike the Thermalright HR-22, it does not turn after being mounted, so it can't bump stuff either.