Bay-trail motherboards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jakoob

Re: Bay-trail motherboards

Post by Jakoob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 am

Vicotnik wrote:I want optical for my audio...
SPDIF will be very nice, but that is not gonna happen :(
Vicotnik wrote:check out http://www.fanlesstech.com.
Thx, almost forget about them

Btw links for buying AsRock boards added to first post.

piglover

Post by piglover » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:16 am

piglover wrote:
MikeC wrote:pretty hefty price... are they all in that range?
Two things:

- SM boards are always pricey
- This board is not 'officially' available in the USA and this seller is grey-marketing them in and charging a premium for making them available.

I'd expect this one to be about $200ish when officially released here and available in quantity and the more mainstream boards quite a bit lower.

I ordered one just to play with. I'll write something up in a couple of weeks.
Well - so much for that order. eBiz (via Amazon Marketplace) tried the old Bait-and-switch routine and said they only have "X10SBE-L" in stock. The "-L" board only have 2 SATA ports, no mSata, no mini-PCIe. Pretty much stripped. Definitely not worth the $275 price for that.

Order cancelled. Only think I can write up is that eBiz is apparently disreputable.

euclid

Post by euclid » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm trying to figure out if it makes any (economic) sense to build my own system with a ASRock IMB-151 compared to the Intel NCU?

Intel NCU
Intel NUC Forest Canyon - NUC DN2810FYK (Celeron N2810 [2])
139 USD with shipping

Own build
ASRock IMB-151: No price yet but most likely over 100 USD
Cheapest Mini-ITX case
M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure by Mini-Box Black
+ Pico PSU and Power Supply
$69.93 USD with shipping [1]

References:
1. http://www.amazon.com/M350-Universal-Mi ... i+itx+case
2. http://ark.intel.com/products/76753/

Any comments are welcome.

HFat

Post by HFat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 am

euclid wrote:I'm trying to figure out if it makes any (economic) sense to build my own system with a ASRock IMB-151 compared to the Intel NCU?
Answer: it won't make sense.
All the boards we've seen so far are expensive because they're supposed to be superior to consumer boards in terms of reliability and so forth.
The main reason to buy something other than the cheapest NUC is ususally something like ports, room for a 2.5'' drive, performance and so forth. If you don't care for that, get this NUC. If you do, there are much cheaper boards.

clarry

Post by clarry » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 am

It all depends of course. Reliability can be hard to measure. There are other things (such as power consumption/efficiency) we sadly can't measure until someone gets one of these board in his hands.

To me the price (180GBP for IMB-150, VAT included) is so-so, not horrible, but obviously there are cheaper options.

However, let's say I require at least fanless operation, 2xGbE, 2xSATA, 2xRS232, Intel integrated graphics, VGA (or DVI with active analog signal), and more performance than the current/old Atoms provide?

What are the choices then?

EDIT: I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy the IMB-150, if steatite-embedded can actually ship to me... there are some indications that this isn't throwaway hardware (e.g. the proposed use scenarios and the claim it's going to be available till 2020).

HFat

Post by HFat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 am

DS47?

2xRS232 (and not just 1 + 1 header) is unusual. With very specific requirements, you sometime have to have to pay through the nose.
Maybe ask Logicsupply. This is their kind of thing.

Be careful with many boards which are designed for fanless operation: they can overheat depending on your case. This should be explained in details in the doc but this being ASRock...

clarry

Post by clarry » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:03 am

Thanks for mentioning Logicsupply, I've never heard of that shop before. They seem to have exactly the type of stuff I've always been interested in.

However, browsing their selection, it's evident that a board meeting the requirements isn't going to be a whole lot cheaper than the ASRock.. sure, the US prices are a bit lower, but account for shipping & VAT and things will start to look different.

The Shuttle DS47 is really impressive for the price, and if I'd discovered it two years ago, chances are good I would've bought it :-). Unfortunately for now one 2.5" bay is not going to cut it so after dumping the case, I'd be paying the price for the mobo & PSU only; again it's going to be quite close to the ASRock (which however has lower TDP and supposedly up to 2x the CPU performance, plus components that are intended to last longer).

Jakoob

Post by Jakoob » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 am

Added new board from MSI to the first post... only 2xSATA and not DC in. When will the nice boards come? :(

EDIT: Finally... new supermicro X10SBA is out (check first post), I hope it wont cost fortune :)

piglover

Post by piglover » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:51 pm

SuperMicro X10SBA is indeed out - and actually available. I picked one up last weekend for $173 @ superbiiz.com. They are still showing them in stock and at that same price.

Problem: there are no Windows drivers available yet from SuperMicro or Intel (ugh!). Only drivers available are the ProSet drivers for the LAN. But no chipset INF set from Intel yet, no video driver and no drivers for the Marvell SATA ports (the 4x SATA3). Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Hyper-V Server all load OK, but without the Chipset drivers you don't get any power management, etc. With no video driver you just get basic Microsoft VGA - no acceleration. And not being able to use the SATA3 ports is disappointing. Windows does work - but its incomplete.

I have a ticket open with SM but no ETA on release of drivers.

Also - board has the same problem as other BayTrail for Linux. Seems that they used a 32-bit UEFI boot loader (why would anyone do that!). So most Linux distro live-CD/DVDs won't boot (bootloader crashes) and if you even get installer to run it still loads 64-bit grub so it won't boot. One guy has hacked together an Ubuntu installer that installs 32 bit Grub but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh well. Got a pretty little board sitting on my workbench for now just waiting for drivers...

Jakoob

Post by Jakoob » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:27 pm

piglover wrote:no Windows drivers available yet from SuperMicro or Intel (ugh!), no ETA on release of drivers.
How the f*** is it possible, that they release product without drivers? They didn't make tests during development? This is starting to happen all round the industry... getting sick of it. Those things aren't toys, but expensive things for work and still such bullsh*t is happening (talking also about latest ThinkPads).

Anyway thanks for some info, I wanted to ask so many things (HD video, power consumption, RAID,...), but I guess it is nonsense right now. I hope SuperMicro will repair their reputation soon, yet maybe this can be also problem of Intel, since their quality of drivers is falling down every year... who knows what happened there.

In the mean time I need to locate some European shop, at best in Czech ...

harcalion

Post by harcalion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 am

Jakoob, I tracked down the SuperMicro (which I really like because it is the only motherboard I've seen yet with more than 2 SATAs) to a Latvian distributor that also does some retail. Unfortunately they only deliver in Riga (of course it is closer to you in the Czech Republic than to me in Spain :D).

http://jet.lv/en/catalog/servers/celero ... _x10sba_o/

Other European shops with the board are exclusively distributors or system integrators, so no SuperMicro retail for us at the moment.

piglover

Post by piglover » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:01 am

Found windows drivers for the X19SBA hidden deep on SMs ftp site:

Chipset here: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/Intel_I ... s_Chipset/
Video here: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/VGA/Int ... 33.5.3349/
LAN drivers are published normally on their website.

Video performance still sucks. With Windows 8.1 and XBMC for Windows it can't play a DVD worth a crap.

Check that...with VLC Player DVDs play fine. Must be something with XBMC Windows.

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:04 am

hI all, I am new to this, I have a number of questions:

I would like to upgrade my mini-ITX ATOM330+ION card, mainly for performance.
1) Do you a Bay-train Celeron card will be a good one? A bit worried about video performance?
2) Many mobo presented (many 1+ months ago) - excellent list at the beginning!!; but when do you believe they will be on main dealers like newegg?; Why are they so late?
3) Any dealers for MSI card? For my basic requirements I don't see the X10SBA $173 premium from $60 (really to be 60?)
4) I would like to build a fanless 'cube'; I see the MSI has no 12V input, right? How can I use an extrernal AC/DC supply?
5) Is AsRock 3.5" SBC compatible with miniITX?

Thanks

piglover

Post by piglover » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am

danialbi wrote:hI all, I am new to this, I have a number of questions:

1) Do you a Bay-train Celeron card will be a good one? A bit worried about video performance?
2) Many mobo presented (many 1+ months ago) - excellent list at the beginning!!; but when do you believe they will be on main dealers like newegg?; Why are they so late?
3) Any dealers for MSI card? For my basic requirements I don't see the X10SBA $173 premium from $60 (really to be 60?)
4) I would like to build a fanless 'cube'; I see the MSI has no 12V input, right? How can I use an extrernal AC/DC supply?

Thanks
Need a lot more info on what software you plan to run on it before you will get good answers...

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:12 pm

piglover wrote:
danialbi wrote:hI all, I am new to this, I have a number of questions:

Thanks
Need a lot more info on what software you plan to run on it before you will get good answers...
Well,
Windows 7
Std MSoffice suite, browser
No PC games!
vlc mkv 1080p
Some video conversion tools, such as Virtualdub, avidemux
...still my questions about availability can be answered, I believe
Tnx

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 am

A question about MSI J1800I:
I noticed the so called 'P12V' 4pin connector; do you know if it is possible to power up this mobo with an external 'laptop-like' 20V DC? Or is it ATX only?
Thx

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 am

danialbi wrote:A question about MSI J1800I:
I noticed the so called 'P12V' 4pin connector; do you know if it is possible to power up this mobo with an external 'laptop-like' 20V DC? Or is it ATX only?
Thx
youd need a pico or similar dc-dc PSU.

piglover

Post by piglover » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Thx
Yes, it is possible to power this MB using only 12v power. SM is absolutely designing their new mITX boards to use 4-pin 12v power as their only supply. Applies to this board as well as their Avoton/Rangerley boards too.

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 am

piglover wrote:
Thx
Yes, it is possible to power this MB using only 12v power. SM is absolutely designing their new mITX boards to use 4-pin 12v power as their only supply. Applies to this board as well as their Avoton/Rangerley boards too.
Tnx. I suspected this; otherwise one could wonder why on earth they put this 'P12V' connector for...
SM have this option on spec sheet, but are you sure about MSI?
Last but not least, what do you think the input voltage range is? 12V +- few or 19, 20V ok?

piglover

Post by piglover » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Supermicro specifies 12v. No discussion of safe ranges of voltages. I assume that means 12v (not 19v).

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:35 am

Right,I believe ATX specifies 12v+-5%
I got curious after seeing that all 3 AsRock mobos specify wide input range:
Power Requirements:
Input PWR - 9-36V DC-In using 4-pin ATX PWR Con
...or: 9-19V in one case

This is quite useful because you can use a std laptop AC/DC PSU.
Also I would be interested in knowing which ATX supply rails are used; If P12V can be optionally used, I assume a single 12V rail, with precision DC/DC on-board to generate required voltages.

Jakoob

Post by Jakoob » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:09 am

New boards from Biostar and Gigabyte added to first post. Only 2x SATA so nothing for me :?

EDIT: I also added Intel NUC to the first post

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 am

euclid wrote:I'm trying to figure out if it makes any (economic) sense to build my own system with a ASRock IMB-151 compared to the Intel NCU?

Intel NCU
Intel NUC Forest Canyon - NUC DN2810FYK (Celeron N2810 [2])
139 USD with shipping

Own build
ASRock IMB-151: No price yet but most likely over 100 USD
Cheapest Mini-ITX case
M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure by Mini-Box Black
+ Pico PSU and Power Supply
$69.93 USD with shipping [1]

References:
1. http://www.amazon.com/M350-Universal-Mi ... i+itx+case
2. http://ark.intel.com/products/76753/

Any comments are welcome.
Interesting subject:
1) If you already have a mini-ITX enclosure (like me), it might make sense, expecially if you can save the Pico PSU expense (Use a laptop brick, as apparently Asrock HAS Input PWR 9~19V DC-In 2-pin PWR Con).
2) J1800/1900 is apparently more powerful than N2810 (2x?)
3) As said, interfaces (for ex. IMB-151 is one of the few to have 2xUSB3.0)
4)! No price yet for IMB-151; this will make the difference...

Don't forget Gigabyte BRIX mini system, which is good competitor to NUC and likely will extend into BayTrail arena.

Jakoob

Post by Jakoob » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 am

New boards from DFI added to the first post...

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 am

Jakoob wrote:New boards from Biostar and Gigabyte added to first post. Only 2x SATA so nothing for me :?

EDIT: I also added Intel NUC to the first post
Just one clarification, since we are at 'silentpcreview': The Intel NUC DN2820FYKH has an internal FAN spinning! I thought it was fanless. See complete review:
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-d ... w_135053/2

Jakoob

Post by Jakoob » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:23 am

danialbi wrote:The Intel NUC DN2820FYKH has an internal FAN spinning!
Maybe it is a silent fan :lol: No, really I think that those new SoC are very cold and therefore the fan won't be on all the time. You can see that most of the boards with baytrail are fanless.

Esben

Post by Esben » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 am

I'm quite interested in the Gigabyte J1800N board, for use as a HTPC to replace an older Athlon X2 4800 + HD3200 machine. Here it will be available in 2 weeks for a decent price, and I can hopefully reuse two DDR3 RAM-modules I have lying around.

These Baytrail boards are mostly interesting if you really need a fanless and ultra-low power machine. A H81 board with the Celeron G1820 is almost the same price, while being 3 times faster. Thankfully both systems support H264 hardware acceleration.

For an interesting look at the performance, here's a review from Tomshardware of the J1750 Atom CPU.

qmanol

Post by qmanol » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Personally, I'm in a high-priced electricity market, and I"m looking at the top-end Bay-Trail (J2900), or even considering an avoton board (Should one come out with HDMI). Though the Avoton will probably be too expensive. The idea is to have a media server, player and TV recorder. I just hope it's got enough CPU power for that, but J1800 benchmarks suggest that it should be about as powerful as an old Q6600 or more. the real problem is that I'll be trying to get it to transcode video in the background, which will have to be put on a super low priority not to interfere with other operations.

chittu

Post by chittu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:22 am

@piglover
how does the X19SBA performs? I'm planing to get one and use it as my NAS (samba, torrenting) MB, I'll also use it as HTPC for playing 1080p videos. I may not need xmbc, if X19SBA does well with VLC then that's lot enough for my purpose. I'm bit worried about linux support as I'm planing to run ubuntu on it.

can you comment on my plan. thanks

piglover

Post by piglover » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:26 am

chittu wrote:@piglover
how does the X19SBA performs? I'm planing to get one and use it as my NAS (samba, torrenting) MB, I'll also use it as HTPC for playing 1080p videos. I may not need xmbc, if X19SBA does well with VLC then that's lot enough for my purpose. I'm bit worried about linux support as I'm planing to run ubuntu on it.

can you comment on my plan. thanks
I've had good luck with playing DVD rips via VLC, but not so much with 1080p. I'm getting stutters and choppy video when playing the m2ts files from a ripped blu-ray, a little better but still not super satisfied with semi-compressed mkv.

The proper video drivers are still not out - so that could be part of it. Everything I'm playing is remote over a LAN so that could be part of it too (though this same NAS plays Blu-ray to multiple concurrent HTPCs today with no problem). I also don't have it on a proper 1080p monitor for testing so there is some processing going on to downscale - it could be just fine if I hooked it up to a proper 1080p monitor.