New Haswell in an old Antec 3000B - Heatsink advice please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

New Haswell in an old Antec 3000B - Heatsink advice please

Post by as530 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:32 am

Dear all

I have an old Antec SLK-3000B and Nexus Value 430 PSU, both of which I want to keep.

Looking to purchase:

Asus H87M-PRO
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 RAM

Now, I need some advice on the CPU cooler. Regrettably I have to ditch my original Scythe Ninja from 2006 because socket 1150 is not supported.

Candidates:
-Scythe Ashura?
-Prolimatech Panther?
-Prolimatech Armageddon?

I'm happy to have a tower heatsink with single fan, but would prefer a slightly smaller one as may want to use all RAM slots and/or install a video card at some point...

Any advice gratefully received.

quest_for_silence

Re: New Haswell in an old Antec 3000B - Heatsink advice plea

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:05 pm

as530 wrote:-Scythe Ashura?
-Prolimatech Panther?
-Prolimatech Armageddon?

About those three, the best performer is IMO/IME the Armageddon (I own it, working with a pair of Slipstream 140 PWM with zip ties on a Core i7 2600K), I think it's very close to the best result you may have in a low airflow environment (but I'm biased about it): at any rate, it's fairly large (around 150mm with the Scythes), so you have to check it won't push against your PSU.

At any rate, if you want to stick with your Ninja (1150 is the same of 1155/1156), I think it may be feasible with a new mounting (maybe Scythe, maybe Thermalright, dig into the forum).

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:43 am

Many thanks. Will a micro ATX mobo fit in my old Antec 3000B? I would assume so but I've only ever had full ATX mobos in there before...

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:52 am

My suggestion is Scythe Mugen 4. Check the following reivews,

SPCR Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back
Over the past five years we've seen multiple elite coolers from Noctua, Thermalright, and Prolimatech trading blows for the high performance heatsink crown. Scythe has for the most part avoided this arms race, focusing on smaller niche products, even though they were one of the manufacturers that really kick-started the big tower cooler market. It's been a long time since one of their heatsinks truly delivered top tier performance — I'm happy to proclaim that now. I thought Scythe might be falling in the footsteps of crestfallen old guard cooling companies like Zalman and Thermaltake, but the latest Mugen is a new hope. The fourth iteration Mugen is a vital modern update that returns Scythe to some much needed relevance in this space.

In our lab, heatsinks with convex bases have repeatedly outperformed their flat or concave base competition, and Scythe has finally followed suit. The new mounting system is also a much needed improvement, generating more pressure/contact while also being easier to install than the Mugen-2. It's not an original design, but has been proven to be highly effective. These factors rank high among the reasons for the new Mugen's exceptional performance. The last bit that ties everything together is the superbly smooth Glide Stream 120 fan. Many heatsinks simply don't ship with a decent sounding stock fan (even premier coolers from Prolimatech and Thermalright) but with Scythe, you can almost count on it.
[H]ardOCP Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Air Cooler Review
The Scythe Mugen 4 is impressive.

Due to the Mugen 4 performing so well and costing so little, its value is considered very high. It’s surprising to see Scythe market this cooler as high performance since that classification usually carries a stiff markup not seen here. There is a lot to like about the Mugen 4 from its overall performance to how easy it is to install.

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 am

Sorry all please ignore that question - just looked it up and of course microATX motherboards are compatible with all ATX cases!

Any other thoughts on heatsink choice - any experience of using the Panther on a 84W i7 Haswell? Would I be able to get away with just the rear case fan?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 am

as530 wrote:Would I be able to get away with just the rear case fan?
On idle or light stuff probably, under load no.
as530 wrote:Any other thoughts on heatsink choice
Haswell quad cores with hyperthreading run hot, very hot, dont take it lightly, i can hit close to 80C under prime95, with a fan going over 1000rpms on it (no ocing no overvolting), not sure if my its because of intel crap paste or maybe its dry, but i didnt diled it, so idk, but from what i have seen in other builds, my temps on load are not out of the ordinary. I would go with a good cooler and with a good fan on it.

Just wondering why are you looking for 140mm heatsink on micro atx motherboard if you have plans on the future for a dedicated GPU? most micro atx mobos have the 16x PCIe on the first slot, many of 140mm coolers will go over it.

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 am

oh that's a really good point, didn't think of that :-(

I've just ordered:

ASRock H87M
HR-02 Macho Rev A
i7-4770

And yes I did want a modest discrete GPU card too although haven't yet decided which...

Do you think the HR-02 will definitely clash with a GPU card on the H87M? If so I'll change the order to a H87 PRO4

Many thanks!

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am

as530 wrote:And yes I did want a modest discrete GPU card too although haven't yet decided which...
Unless you game, or need anything specific from the a discrete GPU, like for example cuda cores, etc, the intel HD4600 is more than enough for anything, even mulitple monitors.
as530 wrote:Do you think the HR-02 will definitely clash with a GPU card on the H87M? If so I'll change the order to a H87 PRO4
I have done 2x micro atx builds, with 3 different motherboards, in all cases i used HR02, and it didnt overlap the PCIe 16x on all the buids, it was super close though, couple of mm. But i have never used the H87M to know if the CPU position is exactly the same, my guess is that you will be fine, but this only you can say for sure when you build it.

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:14 am

I guess I wanted some forward compatibility in case i ever decide to downsize to a microATX case, and I'm positive I don't actually need all the explansion slots found on a full ATX mobo.

Also some people do appear to have got the HR-02 to work on a microATX mobo without blocking top slot:

viewtopic.php?t=66208p=574629

Finally, the ASRock h87m amazingly has a rear panel optical digital out as well as tons of USB ports (meaning i possibly don't need to buy a hub) so I overall preferred it to eg. the H87 PRO4 version.

Does anybody know if HR-02 will definitely block the top (GPU) slot on the ASRock H87m?

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 am

Thank you for your help!

Yes I did want to game, not a big gamer but Thief 4 coming out soon and I don't think HD4600 will do it justice on my 27" display...

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 pm

well anyway i chickened out and changed to an Asus H87 Pro mobo !