SilverStone SST-ST45SF Power Supply

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ktriebol

SilverStone SST-ST45SF Power Supply

Post by ktriebol » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:52 pm

Soon I will be assembling a new computer. The power supply is a SilverStone SST-ST45SF, and the case is a SilverStone ML06. Space inside this case is at a premium, and that is good thing, because I want a small case. Anyway, the power supply comes with PCI Express power wiring, which I don't foresee using now or any time in the future. Since space inside the case is at a premium, I plan on removing that PCI Express wiring. I will either cut it off near, but outside of the power supply, and then tape it off, or open up the power supply and remove it from the attachment point, if it has something like a screw-type terminal strip. I realize that either of these two options will invalidate the warranty, but I'm not concerned about that. My preference would be to go inside the power supply and remove the wiring from the attachment point. I know there is a SilverStone technical representative that reads this forum. Maybe he can inform me if there is a screw-type terminal strip inside of the power supply. If there is no terminal strip, and the wires are somehow bonded directly to the DC out portion of the power supply, then I will just go ahead and cut the wires off outside of the power supply.

flemeister

Re: SilverStone SST-ST45SF Power Supply

Post by flemeister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:32 am

I'm interested to see if there's a non-destructive way to remove those PCI-e cables. :)

Have you considered just tucking the PCI-e cables between the PSU and the 2.5" cage, right against the edge of the case? They would hardly take up any room, and besides, you'll have to run most/all of the other PSU cables across the case anyway.

Interested to see what you end up doing all the same. 8)

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:51 am

I wouldn't cut them off. In the end they won't make any difference after you have put the lid on.

It sounds like you already have the PSU? Silverstone is about to launch new SFX models that has semi passive fans.

ktriebol

Post by ktriebol » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:10 am

flemeister wrote:I'm interested to see if there's a non-destructive way to remove those PCI-e cables. :)

Have you considered just tucking the PCI-e cables between the PSU and the 2.5" cage, right against the edge of the case? They would hardly take up any room, and besides, you'll have to run most/all of the other PSU cables across the case anyway.

Interested to see what you end up doing all the same. 8)
Yes, my first thought is to tuck the PCI-e cables as you described, and I will give that a good, hard, look during the assembly process. One issue regarding tucking the cables there is that I also plan to tuck the cables that have the molex connectors there. I will probably use one of the molex connectors with a SATA power adapter to power two of the drives in the 2.5 inch bay, so the space between the power supply and the 2.5 inch cage is a natural for storing the excess molex connector cable.

I will be installing a TV tuner card in the PCI-e slot. It appears that there will be no space above the tuner card to run cables, so that means that all of the power supply to motherboard wiring will have to snake from the power supply past the front of the 2.5 inch drive cage, then around the back of the TV tuner cage, and on to the motherboard. This will make that area in front of the 2.5 inch drive cage rather cluttered, but I will manage.

I have all parts on hand now except for the motherboard, which is scheduled to arrive on 22 Feb, but it will probably get here a day or two sooner than that I would think.

ktriebol

Post by ktriebol » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:14 am

Mats wrote:I wouldn't cut them off. In the end they won't make any difference after you have put the lid on.

It sounds like you already have the PSU? Silverstone is about to launch new SFX models that has semi passive fans.
I won't cut the wires off if I can find a way to fit them inside the case. If not, though, they are history.

Yes, I already have the PSU. It is interesting to hear about the new models that will come out with semi passive fans. They sound like something I would definitely buy for this build if they were available. Who knows, after I screw up this power supply, I may need to buy another one anyway.

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:57 am

Their latest 300 W model is semi passive, and a 600 W model is planned for April. We'll probably see some news about it from CeBIT.

There seem to be some space under the PSU, maybe 15 mm, maybe that's a good place for some unused cables?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/pr ... side-2.jpg

ktriebol

Post by ktriebol » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:16 am

Mats, I suppose the 300W model that you referred to is the ST30SF. I like it. I think if I was doing it over again, I would give that a try. I like the way the fan is automatically off until the PSU temperature reaches 55 degrees C.

That was an interesting thought about the space under the PSU. I checked it out and was able to snake the entire PCI-e cable under there except for the connectors. Thank you very much for that suggestion! I guess I won't have to cut those wires off after all.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Ooh nice find! :D