Seeking advice to improve my computer's noise

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ninoez

Seeking advice to improve my computer's noise

Post by ninoez » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi everyone

After reading lots of threads in this great forum I'd like to ask for some advice. I'm unhappy with the noise my computer makes, especially in idle mode. I don't care that much when the GPU cranks up while I'm gaming because I won't realise it. With headphones on and the game's music in my ears it won't get noticed. But when I'm watching TV shows or browse the web I'm annoyed by the fan noise.

My components:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 overclocked to 4.4 GHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition overclocked to 1.1 GHz
PSU: XFX Pro 850W
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Formula
Case: Fractal Design R4
CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 140

I use the two front fans, the one in the back and one on the bottom. Every one of those came with the case and is connected directly to the motherboard. In the Asus BIOS I use the lowest settings possible.

I'm unsure where I can improve. Like if need to buy a seperate fan controller, change my BIOS settings etc. I definitely want to buy other fans or change my setup entirely.

Thank you for your help!

CA_Steve

Re: Seeking advice to improve my computer's noise

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

How are the cpu and case fans controlled? Are you using the UEFI set up or Fan Xpert or something else?
- What are the current settings for these?
- What temps are you seeing at idle and during a long gaming session?

How is the gfx card fan controlled? The default that came with the card, a fan profile in CCC or have you tried using MSI's Afterburner to create a fan profile?

You should be able to dial down the CPU and case fans to pretty quiet levels. I don't know what the minimum setting is for the gfx card...but my guess is that will be the remaining noise at idle/low load.

ninoez

Post by ninoez » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 am

Thank you!
How are the cpu and case fans controlled? Are you using the UEFI set up or Fan Xpert or something else?
I use the BIOS
What are the current settings for these?
You can see them here.
What temps are you seeing at idle and during a long gaming session?
Idle about 40 degrees Celsius with an ambient temperature of 22° Celsius
Gaming around 60° celsius
How is the gfx card fan controlled? The default that came with the card, a fan profile in CCC or have you tried using MSI's Afterburner to create a fan profile?
I created a fan profile myself with Afterburner and flashed a custom BIOS. The GPU is inaudible when I'm not gaming. If I am it doesn't bother me.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:30 pm

So, what's the primary source of idle noise? I found it to be useful to unplug all of the case fans and other spinning devices and then slowly add more after getting a feel for what rpm you can hear for each fan.

Too bad that mobo supports Fan Xpert 1 and not 2. Ok, probably worth downloading a couple of utilities.

OCCT has a nice suite of monitoring tools as well as a stress tool.
Speedfan is another monitoring utility as well as enabling custom fan profiles.

You can play with those and tweak your case/cpu fans as you like.

ninoez

Post by ninoez » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 am

The idle noise definitely comes from the case and cpu fans. I unplugged all of them to test it.
I did also play around with the software you mentioned, thanks a lot!

Do you have any recommendations for better fans? A better CPU cooler? Do you think I need a separate fan controller?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:24 am

1) So, using the tools, what fan speeds did you see at idle with the Asus BIOS?

2) Did you try setting up a fan speed profile with Speedfan?
- what were the speeds at idle?
- was it quieter/quiet enough?

Case fans: I went with Antec True Quiet 140's. I don't know if you need the bottom case fan or not (and I didn't get 4 fans with my R4).

ninoez

Post by ninoez » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:39 am

1) CPU Fan is at 800 RPM and the Aux Fans are at 560 RPM

2) Speedfan couldn't get the RPM any lower. So the noise is still at the same level. Maybe I did something wrong? Is changing the values in the first screen right?

What decibel levels do you have with the Antec fans?

edh

Post by edh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 am

ninoez wrote:Speedfan couldn't get the RPM any lower. So the noise is still at the same level. Maybe I did something wrong? Is changing the values in the first screen right?
With some systems it works straight away however with some systems you manually have to go into the options, go to the advanced tab, select the chip concerned and change the fan header signal type to be PWM or whatever you need.