Naked PC/CPU cooling

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mr.OSPF

Naked PC/CPU cooling

Post by Mr.OSPF » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:28 am

Hi All,

I am doing something a bit different with my current re-build.

Current system: Gigabyte Mercury 3D AIO Case/WC
Asrock 970 Extreme3
CPU- Thuban X6 (1045)
GPU- 7870

Probable final build will be an 8320 w/moderate OC, possible GPU upgrade

I have a very large "L" shaped desk, which is very deep, Lots of space behind my monitor.
Initially, I would like to do away with the case entirely, and mount everything to a 2' x 2.5' plywood base onto the wall. This is going to be my main SOHO Work/gaming machine, not on 24x7, not a folding or ripping machine.

Primary concern with going this route is whether I am going to see increased noise due to lack of case, or decrease due to lack of resonating/vibrating.

Final build will most likely be 1/2" lexan base. Would love to use a nice 300mm fan to blow onto the entire mobo to help keep lots of air moving over the cooler and NB/VRM's.

Was looking at a WC solution, however I'd still have a pump and fans which I think would ultimately be more noise and potential points of failure, especially since I am not looking for massive OC as much as a mod OC with low noise.

Any comments, or suggestions?

I guess the primary question would be what AM3+ compatible coolers would allow a mod OC with an preference for lower dbA.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Naked PC/CPU cooling

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:25 am

The #1 question is how loud is it now? With a 7870 GPU, my guess is that your system could be decently quiet at low load but ramp up to pretty loud when gaming. Compared to that, there probably would not be any increase in noise, depending largely on the sound quality of your chosen fan. There could be some reduction of noise at higher fan speeds due to absence of enclosed air resonance effects.

There are lots of v. large heatsinks (which we've reviewed) that can cool the CPU with your single large fan.

Now if you wanted to lower the noise, you'd have to pay attn to the 7870 -- though perhaps you're already using a quiet cooling solution there?

Mr.OSPF

Re: Naked PC/CPU cooling

Post by Mr.OSPF » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for replying Mike.

Current system was not quiet, to anyone who normally hangs out here.
Not only is the GPU noticeable, but the Mercury 3D AIO is rather loud with its push/pull configuration and pump. Thats with upgrading the fans to much quieter ones.

Not terrible, but probably not quieter than any of the better air coolers.

I'm ready to pull the pin on a Mugen 4 for the CPU, just need to find a quiet cooler for a stock 7870.

I guess I'll go ahead with the re-build and Mugen 4 first and see how the GPU like not being in a case.

Appreciate your time!