Advice wanted: changing stock on 6400K (mITX build)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LaserHosen

Advice wanted: changing stock on 6400K (mITX build)

Post by LaserHosen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi,

I've built a HTPC using CiT MTX-001B for cheapness.

I've set the stock PSU aside and running it with a PicoPSU variant so that there's only the stock CPU fan in there.

CPU/APU is the AMD 6400K and motherboard is an MSI FM2-A75IA-E53.

I've currently go a gaping hole at the rear of the chassis where the PSU once sat, which I'm planning to cover with a wide mesh to stop anything metallic falling in. With the hole and with just the stock CPU fan running at 3200RPM it sits at about 42C idle and warms to about 50C+ when playing flash video, slightly cooler when watching HD video.

The stock cooler is a bit cheap and fairly audible, although it's a lot quieter now I'm running the solid state PSU.

I'd like a heatsink/fan combo that'll hopefully bring temps down by at least 5 degrees, maybe more, and be really quiet. I've got quite a lot of headroom in the case above the stock cooler due to having removed the PSU. See my hasty MS paint diagram :-)

The RAM only gives about 10mm clearance on the stock cooler but once you get about 8mm above the stock cooler height of 40mm it's a wide open space.

Any suggestions as to which cooler to buy? It would be a bonus to be able to project the heat out to the rear hole/grill and also draw warm air from the motherboard.

celondil

Re: Advice wanted: changing stock on 6400K (mITX build)

Post by celondil » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:15 am

Sounds like what you'd need is a tower HSF that used a 92mm fan. Something like:

Thermalright True Spirit 90 ($35 on amazon)
http://www.thermalright.com/html/produc ... it_90.html

or

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 ($50 on amazon)
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... g=en&set=1

Width could be an issue on the Noctua, but your RAM seems a bit tall. If they have heat spreader with vertical fins, those don't make that much (any?) difference temp wise so if they can be removed that might help. The mass on the Noctua would imply to me it's the cooler choice, but it's a whole lot larger so space could be a factor.

LaserHosen

Post by LaserHosen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:34 am

You're right about the RAM being taller than standard: it's a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws, which have a vertical extension to the heatspreaders. I knew they weren't ideal for a miniITX build but I have a soft spot for G.Skill as they've never let me down with compatibility issues in the past.

Anyway, last night I bought a Cooler Master GeminII SF524 which should just fit into the case because (apart from the optical drive cage overhang) there's plenty of room everywhere else for it. The three staged heatsink will allow for the tallest of RAM configurations.

I know it's been on the market a while but after reading a few reviews it seems to chuck plenty of air around, whilst being virtually inaudible. It might be slight overkill for a 65W TDP processor but it should keep the whole system cool and make for an ideal living room setup for my case, since it will be doing all of the ventilation work on its own.

I'll keep you posted with regards to how it fits when it arrives.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 am

LaserHosen

Post by LaserHosen » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:32 am

Well, it just fitted! It was touch and go whether I could slide it into the case, sideways, as it had to be attached to the motherboard outside the case due to the back plate.

CPU temp is sittng nicely at 45C but the motherboard is high, idling at around 52C. My guess is that because the fan is now so distant from the mboard temp sensor there's no direct air current on the sensor.

I've got the in-line resistor connected that came with it to reduce fan speed to 900RPM and the PC is now effectively silent.