Replacement for stock cooler for i3-3225

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markrb

Replacement for stock cooler for i3-3225

Post by markrb » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I am running an HTPC, no overclock and the CPU really isn't stressed all that much.
I got this more for the HD4000 graphics then the CPU power.
I was just fine with the stock cooler until the fan started to make noise.
I would like an inexpensive solution that would be around the stock cooler efficiency or a little better with a very quiet fan.
I do not want to go passive. I don't need low profile, but I can't use a really tall cooler either.

Thanks,
Mark

quest_for_silence

Re: Replacement for stock cooler for i3-3225

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:16 pm

markrb wrote:I would like an inexpensive solution

The stock cooler comes for free, how a replacement can be inexpensive? Moreover, usually it's not an heatsink fan to be noisy, but how you drive it: so how do you drive it?

At any rate, you may give a look at the Arctic Cooling line-up, while a not-so-inexpensive-solution could be something like the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (providing you will properly drive the fan).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:54 pm

It's hard to suggest a cooler without knowing the specific limitations of your system for clearances. What's your build?

markrb

Post by markrb » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:40 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:

The stock cooler comes for free, how a replacement can be inexpensive? Moreover, usually it's not an heatsink fan to be noisy, but how you drive it: so how do you drive it?

At any rate, you may give a look at the Arctic Cooling line-up, while a not-so-inexpensive-solution could be something like the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (providing you will properly drive the fan).
The fan is dying. That is why I need a new cooler.

I used to have a Ninja Mini and it fit, but barely on my old motherboard. The dimensions for that are 110 x 110 x 115mm.
The case is a Silverstone HTPC case that is basically a desktop case with changes to make it more appealing visually.

Thanks,
Mark

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:02 pm

markrb wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

The fan is dying. That is why I need a new cooler.

I used to have a Ninja Mini and it fit, but barely on my old motherboard. The dimensions for that are 110 x 110 x 115mm.
The case is a Silverstone HTPC case that is basically a desktop case with changes to make it more appealing visually.

Thanks,
Mark
Can you please post brand and model of your

Motherboard
Memory
Case

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:05 pm

How about a case fan zip-tied to the stock heatsink (remove the fan and plastic shroud)?

One idea that I've heard of in the past but can't find the photos of, is to cut off the stock fan, but leave the black plastic vertical struts in place. Then get a quiet 80mm case fan, and wedge it between those vertical struts, using some foam/zip-ties/whatever works reliably.

Sure cheaper than buying a whole new cooler. :)

markrb

Post by markrb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 pm

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, I have no idea on the memory and the case is from Silverstone, but I don't know the model. It looks like a standard ATX desktop case (not a tower).
I don't want to play games with fans. I just want to replace the cooler.

Mark

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Here's the deal - the only way we can tell whether or not a cooler will fit is to understand all of the physical clearances. They come in a very wide variety of sizes. That's why we ask about all of the components that come into play.

For example - how tall is the RAM (is it bare, does it have short or tall heatspreaders)? Do you use all four slots or just two? If you don't know the specific model...and it does have a heatspreader, then you'll need to measure the distance from the motherboard to the top of the RAM.

If we knew the model of the case, we could find out the height clearance for the cooler. Or, you could just measure the clearance from the top of the CPU to the top of the case.

Are there any other things that may block a CPU cooler - like a drive cage that overhangs? If so, what's the clearance for that?

markrb

Post by markrb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Max height including any fan is 4.5 inches or 115 mm.
Max Width including fan centered on CPU 5 inches or 127 mm to the ram and side of case. Tall ram so nothing can go over it. Closest slot is empty.
I can go much wider the other way so I can put any fan in this direction.
I do not use the first PCIe slot.

I am looking into the Cooler Master Hyper 101i. It's only $21 and I can replace the 80mm fan with some 92mm PWN fans I have around.
It's 3.3 inches tall by 2.7 inches wide.
What do you think?

Mark

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 pm

The Coolermaster will run cooler but louder. You could change out the fan, but that'll add another $10-15 for a decent fan*. How about the Scythe Samurai ZZ instead? Amazon has it for $36.

* I am woefully dated on quiet 80mm fans. However, maybe the 92mm Nexus Real Silent will fit?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm

CA_Steve wrote:How about the Scythe Samurai ZZ instead? Amazon has it for $36.
I've used it before, and the stock 92mm fan is nice and quiet when kept at low-ish speeds. As a bonus, even when used on mini-ITX boards that have the CPU socket squished against the PCI-e slot and RAM slots, it doesn't overhang either of them. So you only have to worry about the height measurement. :)

markrb

Post by markrb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks, but it doesn't look like it will fit with the fan on top.
I only have 115 mm to play with and it's 94mm before fan and they are typically 25.
Even with a fan half that thick it's really pushing it and most likely limiting airflow if it does fit.

I already have a Nexus and a Gentle Typhoon fan sitting in my closet from old builds.

Thanks,
Mark

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Go for the Coolermaster then and replace the fan with what you've got on hand.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 am

markrb wrote:I only have 115 mm to play with and it's 94mm before fan and they are typically 25.

The Samurai is 94mm high INCLUDING its 25mm thick fan.

P.S.: AFAIK the Hyper 101 is 118mm high.