Need help with cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

tand

Need help with cases

Post by tand » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 am

Hi,

I posted a newbie post on making my system more quiet.
But also wondering if a better case would make it run more silent.
I use a Corsair 200r. The fans run loud and being full of air openings...runs qiuite loud. So considering quieter options.

The top end option for me is the Antec p280 at 80€. Is cheaper than the Fractal R4.

But I am also open to secondhand cases.
Has the following options:

Coolermaster Advanced 690 II at 35€
The corsair 300r at 35€
NZXt Phantom at 50€
Antex 183 at 50€
Which would you guys recommend?

tand

Re: Need help with cases

Post by tand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 am

Ps i read all FAQs and posts. And maybe a hundred reviews.
Including SPCR. Btw I understand now how a really cool case doesnt mean its quiet. lol.

My issues are as follows. Never realise how quiet my hewlet packard pc was untill i want to build my own one. I sleep 3 meters from my pc.Its on 24/7/
Before its so quiet...i dont hear it at all. Not even the humm. Dont ask me how many db.

So 5 years later I wanted to make my own pc instead of buying a HP one. Really looked into it. Finally my choice came to the Corsair 200r. On the reviews it came highly recommended. As quiet. (quieter then the 300r) Not that far off as the Fractal R4 DB wise.
I also like the fact that I can put extra fans in. I thpought...more fans...is more cooler..means lower sound.

I was wrong. Lol. So i only have 3 instead of fans build in. And it's still loud. From my bed I can hear it.

So is the fan malfunctioning or is the case not good? I must say the case is full of holes now without the fans unlike my old HP that was basically closed with only a 120mm fan in the back.

Anyway my second issue is price. I dont have a lot of cash. So I am basically looking for a case in 200r pricerange thats quiet or buy a secondhand case.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 am

Please, that's about the same question you're discussing in your other thread: IMHO it would be better to have a single thread than multiple one on about the same argument, but it's just my personal opinion.

Broadly speaking, IMO the Corsair 200R is a mainstream enclosure, enough fairly priced and with lots of features, but which is unfortunatly neither cool nor quiet, due (probably) to some design flaws.

tand

Post by tand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Please, that's about the same question you're discussing in your other thread: IMHO it would be better to have a single thread than multiple one on about the same argument, but it's just my personal opinion.

Broadly speaking, IMO the Corsair 200R is a mainstream enclosure, enough fairly priced and with lots of features, but which is unfortunatly neither cool nor quiet, due (probably) to some design flaws.
Very similar. But here is question more on cases than on technical aspects. Didnt want to mess up the other one.

But yes thats what i now understand. And I misread the reviews. I seemd to think that the 200r was quieter than the 300r. My mistake.
Now I havs better understanding shat i need and what i am looking for.

Antec p280 at 50€.
Fractal Design XL R2 at 65€
Has risen to the top. Strongly considering the Antec P280.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:55 am

tand wrote:Now I havs better understanding shat i need and what i am looking for.

Antec p280 at 50€.
Fractal Design XL R2 at 65€
Has risen to the top. Strongly considering the Antec P280.

In my humble opinion, no ATX-style enclosure may be "silent" or "enough quiet", right out of the box, not even those two.
You have just to operate them properly (I mean, using a software or with flexible and careful BIOS settings).

About Antec and FD, please check the relevant SPCR reviews, as that may help.