Antec SOLO II Quiet Build (PSU advice needed)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bailterspace

Antec SOLO II Quiet Build (PSU advice needed)

Post by bailterspace » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello,

Thank you to SPCR for so much useful data.

My quiet PC build has an unexpected issue.

My Seasonic Platinum V2 660W PSU, has an annoying electrical hum (not high pitched, more a low freq buzz/hum) It sounds like a small fan on high, but at a distance.

I can confirm it is not the fan as it is not spinning. Also I have stopped all case/cpu fans and spun down the HDD's, the noise is most definitely PSU related.

The hum is not helped by the case, as I had this same PSU in a Fractal R4 and it was not noticeable.

So can anyone point to a modular quiet PSU, that also has good electrical noise suppression?

Cheers.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-DH3
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz 1.2v
Mushkin 16GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24)
Mushkin Chronos 480GB SSD
Asus GTX650Ti-O-1GB GDDR5
Western Digital Red 3TB (RAID+0)
Western Digital Red 3TB (RAID+0)
Antec Solo II
ThermalRight Macho Rev.A
Scythe GT AP-14 (CPU)
Scythe GT AP-14 (Exhaust)
Silverstone AP-123 / Antec TrueQuiet (Intakes)
Nexus Fan Isolators
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Re: Antec SOLO II Quiet Build (PSU advice needed)

Post by Abula » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome to SPCR,

Look into SPCR Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W PSU, specially look into the adendum and try out what is suggested there.

If it doesnt work, and you want to go with another PSU, check the following,

KingWin Lazer Platinum Series 550 Watt Power Supply with Universal Modular Cables LZP-550 $129.99, reviewed by SPCR Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Power Supply and got editors choice, really a nice PSU for the money, manufactuered by Superflower, and imo one that rivals seasonic platinum series.

If you were to be fine with a totally pasive PSU, consider KingWin Stryker 500 and/or Rosewill SilentNight-500, both were reviewed by SPCR, Kingwin Stryker and Rosewill Silent Night 500 Platinum 80 Plus , and got editors choice.

If you want to save some $$$, i would also suggest Corsair RM series, its also semi passive, totally modular, and gold certified, and atm going for $80, Corsair RM Series 550 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply - CP-9020053-NA RM550

bailterspace

Post by bailterspace » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks Abula.

The Corsair RM Series 550 looks interesting, low noise caps/trans sounds like what I am looking for.

Its a bit expensive in my country, maybe I'll try overseas?

For not much more locally I could grab the Seasonic fanless, but I feel I might have more luck with a different brand just to be safe.

Cheers.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:29 am

bailterspace wrote:Its a bit expensive in my country, maybe I'll try overseas?
Not sure what country you are at, if its not in the US, kingwin are mostly for that market, but they are rebrands of Superflower (the original manufacturer), so you might be able find them under their brand, for example Super Flower Golden Silent 500W Fanless and Super Flower Golden King 550W

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:10 am

bailterspace wrote:
Its a bit expensive in my country, maybe I'll try overseas?
always a great idea to add your location in your user profile.... :wink:

bailterspace

Post by bailterspace » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks guys,

My concerns over RM550 pricing was probably reactionary, it always looks worse in NZD's.

I will grab one and see how I go.