Noctua Fan for CPU Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ktriebol

Noctua Fan for CPU Cooler

Post by ktriebol » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:09 am

I recently built a new HTPC. The CPU cooler that I used for that system is a Titan DC-155A915Z/RPW because it was very low profile and low cost. It actually worked out OK, but I became curious about the possibility of replacing the fan on the heat sink with a Noctua unit because they seem to be held in quite high regard in this site. The cooler came equipped with a 92mm Titan fan. I decided to go ahead and replace the fan with a Noctua NF-B9 PWM 92mm fan. The fan frame is the correct size for the Titan cooler, but the mounting holes did not line up. Instead of using mounting screws, I bonded the fan to the heat sink using four small dabs of JB Weld. That seemed to hold it in place adequately, and I believe that I could break it away if I ever needed to remove the fan. I also used the Low Noise Adapter that was included with the Noctua fan. I am pleased with the results. The Noctua fan is somewhat quieter. It has more of a smooth sound as opposed to audible pulses. Additionally, idle temp is now two to three degrees C cooler, so apparently there is more air flow at idle.

I think this was a worthwhile change, and I would like to do the same with the 80mm fan that is inside my Silverstone power supply, but removing the power supply after the build is complete keeps me from doing this. Things are packed tightly in my mini ITX case and I'm not about to disrupt that now, but if the need to remove the power supply for another reason comes up, I will use that opportunity to change the fan too.