Low rpm fan for [Thermalright] HR 22

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Atlantis 666

Low rpm fan for [Thermalright] HR 22

Post by Atlantis 666 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi, i'm planning to build a fanless/semifanless haswell pc (Seasonic x 460 platinum, i5 4570, 16 gb Corsair Vengeance low profile, Thermalright HR 22, Asrock z87 Extreme 6 AC, ssd Samsung 840 pro 256 gb).
The idea is to control the fans from asrock bios, that expecially after ver. 2.2 seems to be great for granular settings (stop fans, allow 1% rpm drop, 5 rpm settings points for each single fan in custom mode, no spinning low threshold , 2 true pwm fans and 3 3 pin fans). So until i will reach 50/55°, the fans should be stopped, and only over that 55° threshold should start spinning, but still from very low rpm (200/300 rpm), and should spin no more than 600 rpm until cpu reach 75°.
That should give a "mostly" fanless pc, as for the most of the time the pc should experience low load or idle.

To do this, i need good fans that have a low rpm start spinning, and in general that have good behaviour in low rpm.
I read that PWM fans are better choice for this scenario.
So which fan (and which size) you would suggest for this use to couple with HR 22? A pwm fan that doesn't emit "pulse" noise, and that spin on at very low rpm? Noctua? Thermalright? Cheaper brands?

I take the advantage of this thread also to ask a good 120 mm pwm fan for the case (rear and front) that is good for the use described (so still low rpm etc).

Thanks in advance to all.

Abula

Re: Low rpm fan for Termalright HR 22

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

I like Noctua a lot (not tonally) but out of the range of control that their PWM line gives you.

For the HR22 i would go with the Noctua NF-A15 PWM. The HR22 comes with a pair of fan clips, that are meant for the TY141, a fan that its very similar in the frame to the A15, so it should work fine.

For case fans, if you need 120mm PWM i would go with NF-S12A PWM, the range is very similar to the above and can be drop off a to very low rpms as well.

Remember that the AsRock motherboard only has 2 true PWM fan headers, CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN1 (if i remember correctly, crosscheck this), so you will need to use PWM splitter for the SYS_FAN1 to power the two fans, the noctua fans come with one included in the accesories, but if you plan on powering 3 or more fan with the single header, go into one that draws power from the PSU molex/satapower, this are safer not to overload a single motherboard fan header, for example,

Akasa Flexa FP5 PWM 5-Way Splitter - Smart Fan Cable (AK-CBFA03-45)
Swiftech 8-Way PWM Cable Splitter - SATA Power (8W-PWM-SPL-ST)

Disclaimer, both of the above fans can be stop under certain PWM according to the test that FanXpert2 ran on them on a true PWM motherboard fan header (CPU_FAN), but in practice i have never tried stopping them, nor i have tested them on AsRock motherboard, so i cant say for sure if what you are trying to do will work, but dont worry too much, at their minimum rpms they are not audible fans.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Abula wrote:I like Noctua a lot (not tonally) but out of the range of control that their PWM line gives you.

For the HR22 i would go with the Noctua NF-A15 PWM. The HR22 comes with a pair of fan clips, that are meant for the TY141, a fan that its very similar in the frame to the A15, so it should work fine.

For case fans, if you need 120mm PWM i would go with NF-S12A PWM, the range is very similar to the above and can be drop off a to very low rpms as well.

Remember that the AsRock motherboard only has 2 true PWM fan headers, CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN1 (if i remember correctly, crosscheck this), so you will need to use PWM splitter for the SYS_FAN1 to power the two fans, the noctua fans come with one included in the accesories, but if you plan on powering 3 or more fan with the single header, go into one that draws power from the PSU molex/satapower, this are safer not to overload a single motherboard fan header, for example,

Akasa Flexa FP5 PWM 5-Way Splitter - Smart Fan Cable (AK-CBFA03-45)
Swiftech 8-Way PWM Cable Splitter - SATA Power (8W-PWM-SPL-ST)

Disclaimer, both of the above fans can be stop under certain PWM according to the test that FanXpert2 ran on them on a true PWM motherboard fan header (CPU_FAN), but in practice i have never tried stopping them, nor i have tested them on AsRock motherboard, so i cant say for sure if what you are trying to do will work, but dont worry too much, at their minimum rpms they are not audible fans.
Ok, so, simplifying a lot, you say: Noctua is the best for PWM factory settings that allow to spin up (or spin at least) at very low rpm, but maybe not the best for acoustic noise? I went on Noctua site: they tell the lower rpm they certify is 300. But according to your screenshot i could expect also a little less (250 rpm for NF-A15 PWM, 300 rpm forNF-S12A PWM)?
For your experience there are no fans that will allow to start spinning at 150/200 rpm?
Considering instead only the the choice parameter of noise produced, which fan would you suggest?
And last: what about the TY150 (pwm, right?) that should be the fan that should be the natural partner with HR 22 (or maybe TY141 is)? I just ask because i see it in your signature coupled with HR 22. Would it be a worst choice than Noctua in my scenario (the lowest rpm settings possible)? I ask this because on the shop i'm going to by other hardware i find TY150 at less than half price than Noctua (9€ against 21,5€), so i could give it a try. Would it spin at higher rpm than Noctua?

Just some questions about your interesting screenshot:
1) also if you didn't try to do (your disclaimer), and also if we don't know how Noctua PWM will react to asrock bios settings, i should assume that if i will give a 10% value for power, i will obtain the result of the fan stopped with both Noctua?
2) (considering NF-15A Fan Xpert test table in screenshot) giving about 15% power value i should be able to let the NF 15A spinup at lower than 253 rpm instead of 300 rpm that Noctua declared on it's website?
3) another part of the 2 screenshots says that minimum speed for the 2 fans is 179 and 209 rpm: that mean that if you were able to give 19% and 17% power value, yuo could let the spin at that minimal rpm (aginst the 300 rpm they are rated from Nocctua itself)? And it would be also a start spinningig rpm?
4) Why for NF 15A says minium speed 179 rpm at 19%, but controllable range is 17%-100% and fan run when power is 17%? Maybe 19% is spin up power and 17% is spin power? I didn't understood well the meaning of the datas shown on the right of the screenshots.

Sorry for all this questions, but they are just to understand better how pwm management works.

Nice to see that Noctua give already 1 pwm split cable for fan: i didn't know. That could let me avoid to buy this (http://www.bpm-power.com/it/product/121 ... wm-03.html) split cable i saw in the shop catalogue were i'm going to buy.

So if there are no more fans to advice, i could go for these 2 Noctua.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 am

Atlantis 666 wrote:For your experience there are no fans that will allow to start spinning at 150/200 rpm?

Talking about 140mm PWM fans, there are not lots of alternatives.

With reference to 120mm fans, lots of Scythe Slipstream/Glidestrram, but I would consider the Antec TrueQuiet 140 also (if there's room for the larger frame), probably some other else too, but perhaps they're not clearly preferable to Noctuas.

Take also note that inside a case, unless there's some vibrations, panels resonances, or interferences with case fan grilles, there should be about no difference between a 200rpm and a 400rpm spinning 120mm fan, with reference to the perceived noise (while with 140mm fans the noise difference should be more clearly audible), but there could be a more noticeable one about temps.

Atlantis 666 wrote:Would it be a worst choice than Noctua in my scenario (the lowest rpm settings possible)?

IME, TR TY-14x/15x fans would spin faster (and IMO with more tonal artifacts). But they have a better price/performance ratio, of course.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 am

Atlantis 666 wrote:Ok, so, simplifying a lot, you say: Noctua is the best for PWM factory settings that allow to spin up (or spin at least) at very low rpm, but maybe not the best for acoustic noise?
Correct, tonally there are better fans, for example the Antec True Quiet 140 tonally are much better, but this are 3pin voltage controlled fans, on PWM there is very few options, specially on 140mm. Noctua excels into their design of PWM, they design them to be able to drop very low and still have a very good range of operation. But remember tone is something subjective, there are certain frequencies that bothers some and others are fine, so all is very subjective matter.
Atlantis 666 wrote:I went on Noctua site: they tell the lower rpm they certify is 300. But according to your screenshot i could expect also a little less (250 rpm for NF-A15 PWM, 300 rpm forNF-S12A PWM)?
How i see this is that not all fans are 100% the same, so they place a range of operation that should cover any sample, some might go lower etc, but the guarantee from noctuas lowest is 300rpm, but some will drop lower, as you can see on the pictures, but dont worry to much about this, they are still inaudible at 300rpm, i would say even at 400rpms you shouldn't notice them, above 650rpms is where they start to bring their tone.
Atlantis 666 wrote:For your experience there are no fans that will allow to start spinning at 150/200 rpm? Considering instead only the the choice parameter of noise produced, which fan would you suggest?
Antec True quiet can idle at 200rpms, but this are 3pin fans not 4pin pwm, here is a screenshot of it being ran on Asus Motherboard with FanXpert2, and you cant do this with the AsRock mobo, as you need them to start a higher voltage, and then drop off, so this is why Asus can do it with FanXpert2.

But do remember that spinning at this low rpms, they barely move any air, so don't focus to much on going that low, fans below 500rpms are decently quiet, will depend a lot on your environment as well into if you will be able to notice a low rpm fan or not.

Btw the NF-A14 PWM i have running on my main desktop also spins at 225rpms on idle, this is because of the 12.5% restriction that MSI motherboard has on the bios, but on Asrock you can reach lower, weather it can be reported it will depend on the motherboard, i'll address more on this further down the post.
Atlantis 666 wrote:And last: what about the TY150 (pwm, right?) that should be the fan that should be the natural partner with HR 22 (or maybe TY141 is)? I just ask because i see it in your signature coupled with HR 22. Would it be a worst choice than Noctua in my scenario (the lowest rpm settings possible)? I ask this because on the shop i'm going to by other hardware i find TY150 at less than half price than Noctua (9€ against 21,5€), so i could give it a try. Would it spin at higher rpm than Noctua?
I find the TY150 to be a good fan, but its lowest it can spin is like 500rpm (aprox), mines spins at 540rpms at 37.5% PWM on pure bios, tonally i like it, and i cant perceive it too much even at high rpms, that said it doesn't stop ever, its like i told you before, this is a fan design that even on 0% signal it will still spin, i'll show you on a picture below. Another thing that you should account is that the HR02 was design with the TY141 in mind not the TY150, so the clips that come will match the TY141 (and Noctua NF-A15 PWM since its very similar), but for the TY150 i used other fan clisps that i had left over from my HR02, different way of mounting, so im going to suggest that you avoid the TY150 unless you are willing to invest time into mounting another way (like zipties or do your own clips, or contact therlamright for other clips). The TY141 is a good fan, and pretty cheap, but at the same time the lowest it reaches is 600rpms (even at 0% PWM), so its up to you if you find that rpms good enough compared to the 200rpms that the noctuas can give you.

Atlantis 666 wrote:1) also if you didn't try to do (your disclaimer), and also if we don't know how Noctua PWM will react to asrock bios settings, i should assume that if i will give a 10% value for power, i will obtain the result of the fan stopped with both Noctua?
In theory yes, in the practice idk. Before choosing my current main Desktop, i did a build for a friend on MSI Z77GA43 (if i recall correctly), and this was ivy bridge build, and the main reason i discover the good PWM control of MSI motherboards, but in this bios MSI did allow to reach 0% PWM, i tested multiple fans on that setup before ordering my MSI Z87-GD65, and the noctua fans did spin on the 0% settings, in most cases the RPMS were not readable, maybe was too low for the motherboard to register them, but still spin, my guess is they were below 200rpms and that was the limit for the motherboard to read. So this could happen with the AsRock as well since it allows 1% increments, and in theory allows 0%, but as i said earlier, i have never tested an Asrock motherboard to tell you for sure.
Atlantis 666 wrote:2) (considering NF-15A Fan Xpert test table in screenshot) giving about 15% power value i should be able to let the NF 15A spin up at lower than 253 rpm instead of 300 rpm that Noctua declared on it's website?
As i posted above, i believe noctua gives a range that its guarantee to work with all their production, but i believe they can spin lower, on both my MSI and ASUS motherboards i have been able to take them below 300rpms. But its easier to guarantee a range and if it doesn't drop off below that then you don't have unhappy customers that their fans didnt reach what was rated.
Atlantis 666 wrote:3) another part of the 2 screenshots says that minimum speed for the 2 fans is 179 and 209 rpm: that mean that if you were able to give 19% and 17% power value, you could let the spin at that minimal rpm (against the 300 rpm they are rated from Noctua itself)? And it would be also a start spinning rpm?
Yes and no, will depend on your motherboard, same reason i posted above that on Z77 motherboard they still spin at 0%, but on the FanXpert2 i did see them stop completely on the test, so idk for sure, specially since i don't own an AsRock mobo.
Atlantis 666 wrote:4) Why for NF 15A says minimum speed 179 rpm at 19%, but controllable range is 17%-100% and fan run when power is 17%? Maybe 19% is spin up power and 17% is spin power? I didn't understood well the meaning of the datas shown on the right of the screenshots..
Could be... im not 100% sure on this. But the % can vary slightly from sample and sample. Also remember that Asus motherboard might also bump a little bit the minimum % for not operating it on the very limit, like adding a safety margin to guarantee the fans will spin always, the test is fairly fast, its not that intensive or like multiple test, etc, so i guess they do add a safty margin, this is why most of the time you see the minimum % of operation a little lower than what they usually spin under FanXPert2, but again this is a different motherboard, so don't fully expect the same, you will have to do your own testing with AsRock.

Again if you need more info, let me know, i honestly think you are into a point where you need to test it, as i said i have very little experience with AsRock specially with their Haswell offerings, so to be sure you will have to do your own testing and establish whats good enough for you and your setup.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:41 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Atlantis 666 wrote:For your experience there are no fans that will allow to start spinning at 150/200 rpm?

Talking about 140mm PWM fans, there are not lots of alternatives.

With reference to 120mm fans, lots of Scythe Slipstream/Glidestrram, but I would consider the Antec TrueQuiet 140 also (if there's room for the larger frame), probably some other else too, but perhaps they're not clearly preferable to Noctuas.

Take also note that inside a case, unless there's some vibrations, panels resonances, or interferences with case fan grilles, there should be about no difference between a 200rpm and a 400rpm spinning 120mm fan, with reference to the perceived noise (while with 140mm fans the noise difference should be more clearly audible), but there could be a more noticeable one about temps.

Atlantis 666 wrote:Would it be a worst choice than Noctua in my scenario (the lowest rpm settings possible)?

IME, TR TY-14x/15x fans would spin faster (and IMO with more tonal artifacts). But they have a better price/performance ratio, of course.
Nice to speak in english on a foreign board with a fellow citizen: i'm italian too... :wink:
If there isn't a clear winner, i thing i will go with Noctua: a well known brand with a good package.

My little obsession for very low rpm is because:
1) i'm not sure what i will experience: so the most i will have flexible hardware, and the better i will have room for my test to obtain improvementes to reach the best setting for my needs; if i had more experience, i could go directly to the product that specifically fitted my needs;
2) probably i will use a case with side panel removed, so also little rustling that with closed case wouldn't worry me much, could be amplified and annoying.
3) in effect my actual case (Tsunami), is very subjected to vibration, due it's thin alluminium panels and overall weak structure. I think i will change with an horizontal case, but for now i have to urgently build the new pc (the actual one is going to die).

But definitely i can accept also a little over 0 db noise.... Obviousely here on SPCR starting with this kind of configuration (fanless psu, ssd, HR22) i ask firstable for the best advice for a silent pc, and only if my future test will reveal that 0 db/fanless is impossible to reach in daily use with mi hardware, i will accept higher levele of noise.

If TR TY-14x/15x fans would spin faster, are not my best choice. Again: i don't exclude the possibility tu use 600/800 rpm, but i will do only if i can't avoid it, as last solution.

Thanks.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Abula wrote: Correct, tonally there are better fans, for example the Antec True Quiet 140 tonally are much better, but this are 3pin voltage controlled fans, on PWM there is very few options, specially on 140mm. Noctua excels into their design of PWM, they design them to be able to drop very low and still have a very good range of operation. But remember tone is something subjective, there are certain frequencies that bothers some and others are fine, so all is very subjective matter.

Ok, according with the fact i don't yet have my subjective experience about noise with silent fans, i start from objective facts: the ability to run low rpm is a primary parameter to make my choice.

Abula wrote: Antec True quiet can idle at 200rpms, but this are 3pin fans not 4pin pwm, here is a screenshot of it being ran on Asus Motherboard with FanXpert2, and you cant do this with the AsRock mobo, as you need them to start a higher voltage, and then drop off, so this is why Asus can do it with FanXpert2.

Mmmh according to what you and qust_for_silence are saying, this Antec TrueQuiet 140 is going to intrigue me: consider that to start my test i had to buy Zalman Fx100 and use it without 92 mm internal fan, but with external placed old SilentX 120 mm 3pins fans i already own, connected to the mobo and just see what would happen in terms of noise and temps realted to performance. Infact one thing i like of this Extreme 6 is that it should control well from bios both 3 and 4 pins fans, giving me some of that hardware flexibility i was speaking in the former post (that is usefull for a newbe to get improvements). Maybe the voltage control won't be so granular as pwm control, and maybe can't allow so slow rpm, but it could be still fine (i haven't understood yet the pratical difference between pwm and voltage controlled fans: i understood the techinical difference, but not the pratical different results at all, maybe is that a pwm fan can run really slow beacause receiving always pulsed 12v it don't experience the issue that low voltage necessary to let it spin slow is also responsible for failed spin on). Just after seeing the HR 22 available on the eshop where i'm going to buy, i decided to give it a try, but coupling with good fans, as it allow 140 mm fan and fan duct.
So going back to the Antec TrueQuiet, also if i won't be able to run so slow as you could with fan xpert, if it should have a (subjective) better tonality, and anyway a decent low rpm range, i could give it a try, consiedering it will cost half than Noctua in the eshop i'm going to buy: in this instead of using the 2 noctua pwm plus one old silentx 3 pin, i could use the 2 noctua + antec truequiet and see how it works for just 8/10€. The only problem is my case fits 120mm fans, and the Antec Truequite is 140mm, and i don't want to use on HR 22. So i should try Antec TrueQuiet 120: would it be still a good choice in terms of noise and low (but not very low) rpm on 3 pin fan? I wouldn't spend about 60€ of fans at closed eyes (i mean with no experience, without know what i should expect).
The only way to use this Antec as you with fanxpert would be to manage it not from bios, but only from windows software: but i prefer not to use it, and anyway i couldn't be sure it wil works fine (Asrock software is clearly some steps behind Asus one).

Abula wrote:
But do remember that spinning at this low rpms, they barely move any air, so don't focus to much on going that low, fans below 500rpms are decently quiet, will depend a lot on your environment as well into if you will be able to notice a low rpm fan or not.

I will take into account. But, as i said in former post, my particular attention to very low rpm is due it is possible i will run the pc with sie panel opened. Anyway, for sure, i don't expect very big difference between 200 and 400 rpm of a quality fan.

Abula wrote: I find the TY150 to be a good fan, but its lowest it can spin is like 500rpm (aprox), mines spins at 540rpms at 37.5% PWM on pure bios, tonally i like it, and i cant perceive it too much even at high rpms, that said it doesn't stop ever, its like i told you before, this is a fan design that even on 0% signal it will still spin, i'll show you on a picture below. Another thing that you should account is that the HR02 was design with the TY141 in mind not the TY150, so the clips that come will match the TY141 (and Noctua NF-A15 PWM since its very similar), but for the TY150 i used other fan clisps that i had left over from my HR02, different way of mounting, so im going to suggest that you avoid the TY150 unless you are willing to invest time into mounting another way (like zipties or do your own clips, or contact therlamright for other clips). The TY141 is a good fan, and pretty cheap, but at the same time the lowest it reaches is 600rpms (even at 0% PWM), so its up to you if you find that rpms good enough compared to the 200rpms that the noctuas can give you.
Ok, precious informations: TY150 & 141 are not for my needs.

Abula wrote:..... in this bios MSI did allow to reach 0% PWM, i tested multiple fans on that setup before ordering my MSI Z87-GD65, and the noctua fans did spin on the 0% settings..... So this could happen with the AsRock as well since it allows 1% increments, and in theory allows 0%, but as i said earlier, i have never tested an Asrock motherboard to tell you for sure.

This is an important warning. Strange..... But the only way will be to test. I will let you know. I hope in a different behaviour of Asrock.

Abula wrote: How i see this is that not all fans are 100% the same, so they place a range of operation that should cover any sample, some might go lower etc, but the guarantee from noctuas lowest is 300rpm, but some will drop lower, as you can see on the pictures, but dont worry to much about this, they are still inaudible at 300rpm, i would say even at 400rpms you shouldn't notice them, above 650rpms is where they start to bring their tone.....

As i posted above, i believe noctua gives a range that its guarantee to work with all their production, but i believe they can spin lower, on both my MSI and ASUS motherboards i have been able to take them below 300rpms. But its easier to guarantee a range and if it doesn't drop off below that then you don't have unhappy customers that their fans didnt reach what was rated.

Mmmh i thik so. Would be a typical behaviour of serius brands.

Abula wrote: Could be... im not 100% sure on this. But the % can vary slightly from sample and sample. Also remember that Asus motherboard might also bump a little bit the minimum % for not operating it on the very limit, like adding a safety margin to guarantee the fans will spin always, the test is fairly fast, its not that intensive or like multiple test, etc, so i guess they do add a safty margin, this is why most of the time you see the minimum % of operation a little lower than what they usually spin under FanXPert2, but again this is a different motherboard, so don't fully expect the same, you will have to do your own testing with AsRock.

Maybe is to compensate any unstable pulse regulatione: for eg if it has +- 1% error margin, with a 2% higher minimum rpm value, will cover the error margin of 1%. But is just an assumption: idk.

Abula wrote:Again if you need more info, let me know, i honestly think you are into a point where you need to test it, as i said i have very little experience with AsRock specially with their Haswell offerings, so to be sure you will have to do your own testing and establish whats good enough for you and your setup.
Many many thanks for this really deep and specific advice. I hope within 2 days i will place the order. Just to decide if try HR 22 (worried for compatibility with Asrock Z87 Extrme 6 AC) and numeber of fans: almost sure the 2 noctua, and have to decide if buy a 3rd fan (maybe the inexpensive Antec TrueQuiet 120mm).

I hope once i have built my rig i can give back to you some detailed info about Asrock bios fan management....

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Atlantis 666 wrote:Mmmh according to what you and qust_for_silence are saying, this Antec TrueQuiet 140 is going to intrigue me: consider that to start my test i had to buy Zalman Fx100 and use it without 92 mm internal fan, but with external placed old SilentX 120 mm 3pins fans i already own, connected to the mobo and just see what would happen in terms of noise and temps realted to performance. Infact one thing i like of this Extreme 6 is that it should control well from bios both 3 and 4 pins fans, giving me some of that hardware flexibility i was speaking in the former post (that is usefull for a newbe to get improvements). Maybe the voltage control won't be so granular as pwm control, and maybe can't allow so slow rpm, but it could be still fine (i haven't understood yet the pratical difference between pwm and voltage controlled fans: i understood the techinical difference, but not the pratical different results at all, maybe is that a pwm fan can run really slow beacause receiving always pulsed 12v it don't experience the issue that low voltage necessary to let it spin slow is also responsible for failed spin on). Just after seeing the HR 22 available on the eshop where i'm going to buy, i decided to give it a try, but coupling with good fans, as it allow 140 mm fan and fan duct.
So going back to the Antec TrueQuiet, also if i won't be able to run so slow as you could with fan xpert, if it should have a (subjective) better tonality, and anyway a decent low rpm range, i could give it a try, consiedering it will cost half than Noctua in the eshop i'm going to buy: in this instead of using the 2 noctua pwm plus one old silentx 3 pin, i could use the 2 noctua + antec truequiet and see how it works for just 8/10€. The only problem is my case fits 120mm fans, and the Antec Truequite is 140mm, and i don't want to use on HR 22. So i should try Antec TrueQuiet 120: would it be still a good choice in terms of noise and low (but not very low) rpm on 3 pin fan? I wouldn't spend about 60€ of fans at closed eyes (i mean with no experience, without know what i should expect).
The only way to use this Antec as you with fanxpert would be to manage it not from bios, but only from windows software: but i prefer not to use it, and anyway i couldn't be sure it wil works fine (Asrock software is clearly some steps behind Asus one).
Couple of comments,

1) Antec True Quiet 140 imo its the best 140mm fan tonally (but there are limited 140 options, on 120s is much easier to find good fans), and its range is pretty solid still for someone looking for quiet fan, but do remember we add fans for cooling and at 200rpm they don't move much air so kinda defeats the purpose... sort of speak. What im trying to say is that fans do have to have an impact for you to add them, else they are not worth placing, that said i still think its a wonderful fan for it price and sonic signature, just be careful into lowering to much to the point that it wont cool enough.

2) Antec True Quiet 140 are able to drop off to 200rpm only on an Asus motherboard with FanXpert2, the reason is even though the bios has a higher restriction, FanXpert2 overides it. On MSI it has 50% restriction on CHA_FAN headers, so the least you can drop them is around 400rpms, not sure on AsRock SYS_FAN headers.

3) I prefer BIOS fan control out of trying to be minimalist into whats loaded in memory, and this also gives me the flexibility to move into other OS and still have the same fan control as i have with windows, as its all manage by the bios. But there is nothing wrong with software based, before FanXpert2 and even now there are lots of people that use Speedfan with great success, but personally i never been lucky with it, some sensors either are not supported or i cant reach what i want with it, but i blame more myself into not dealing with it. But overall im very pleased into how it turn out with MSI and bios PWM fan control (i have not tested voltage controlled headers on pure bios).

4) You should check well the AsRock bios for the voltage controlled headers, because in most cases it has much higher restrictions than the PWM headers, for example MSI restricts to 50% as the minimum, and ASUS i believe its 40%, so its a lot higher, and this is the trend in most motherboards, i would expect AsRock to be very similar, so check this before committing into 3pin fans.

5) Get the fans to whatever you case can handle, if its 120s go for 120s, if its 140s go for 140s, there are lots of good options on 120s 3pins, like Noiseblocker M12 S1, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP12, Nexus Basic 120, etc. For 4pin PWM i would still go with NF-S12A PWM, really a nice fan with very good range of control, as an alternative Scythe Glidestreams PWM might be cheaper and should be pretty decent, just i don't think they will drop as low as the noctuas.
Atlantis 666 wrote: Just to decide if try HR 22 (worried for compatibility with Asrock Z87 Extrme 6 AC) and number of fans: almost sure the 2 noctua, and have to decide if buy a 3rd fan (maybe the inexpensive Antec TrueQuiet 120mm).
I have no experience with Antec True Quiet 120, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but they are not as good at least according to the SPCR Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright, try to the read that roundup fully, as they not only test the Antec True Quiet 120, but they some of the best 120mm fans on the market, like i posted on 5.

One last recommendation, and this basically how i would do it.

If you want go with Antec True Quiet 140s, i would favor an Asus motherboard with FanXpert2, and a case like Fractal Design Define R4, to me its the easiest way to do an extremely quiet setup.

If your case has 120s, then i would go with NF-S12A PWM for the case fans and control them via SYS_FAN1, if more add more than 2, then consider getting a PWM fan splitter that draws the current from the PSU, and just the signal for the motherboard, this is not to overload the motherboard header.

If you are set on the HR22, the ideal fan imo for it is the Noctua NF-A15 PWM, mostly because its a very similar fan to the TY141, so it should fit with the included clips, has a very good PWM range of control, and should be very quiet at low rpms. In case you are not 100% sure on the HR22, then also consider the Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler, its performance is very similar to the HR22 on 6V, higher than that the U14S beats slightly the HR22, and i would assume that below 6V, the HR22 should win also to the U14S, mostly because of its design to work better passively or with little airflow, but U14S also comes with the fan already so should be a cheaper option than buying the HR22 + fan, either way just throwing some options for you to consider.
I hope once i have built my rig i can give back to you some detailed info about Asrock bios fan management....
Im looking forward to your impressions, more and more im liking what i see from Asrock, from the power consumption on their lower end, to their very articulated PWM fan control and twin real PWM fan headers, and most of the time their pricing its lower than Asus, MSI and Gigabyte, so im really interested on testing AsRock in the future, but i would love to read more about their fan control on pure bios, and specially your experiences on it.

Good luck with the build, hope everything works out quietly =)
Last edited by Abula on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:59 am

Atlantis 666 wrote:So i should try Antec TrueQuiet 120: would it be still a good choice in terms of noise and low (but not very low) rpm on 3 pin fan? I wouldn't spend about 60€ of fans at closed eyes (i mean with no experience, without know what i should expect).

ASRock UEFI usually works with SpeedFan, which has no calibration procedures but I prefer it over fancier option.
IMO the 120 isn't on par with the TQ140, and it can't go as low as it, but it's not a bad fan: I used it, as well as the TwoCool 120, and then dismissed.
If you're looking for a cheap, lowish-able 120mm 3-pin fan, look at Scythe: the 800rpm rated model can go as low as ~200rpm (as usually also the PWM ones), the 1200rpm rated models can go as low as ~350rpm.
They have fairly benign sound signature, but also some sample variance (so shit happens, particularly with reference to clicking), tonally I prefer the Slipstream (end of life) over the Glidestream.

Abula wrote:2) Antec True Quiet 140 are able to drop off to 200rpm only on an Asus motherboard with FanXpert2

The Antec True Quiet 140 can go as low as about 150-170rpm with ASRock UEFI and SpeedFan 4.49 (although it's practically useless at that speed): I've tested on an Extreme 4 AMD board, but reasonably I expect it go the same on Haswell boards.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:13 am

quest_for_silence wrote:The Antec True Quiet 140 can go as low as about 150-170rpm with ASRock UEFI
This question is more for the future for me, but you are saying you can drop the Antec True Quiet 140 on pure bios on SYS_FAN header below 200rpms? I guess if the SYS_FAN2 or 3, have the same multiple breakpoints, you could place it high on let say 20C and drop it to to the least you can on 30C (or whatever the idle temps are), like something to start them and avoid what happens on the MSI mobo with the starting voltage, then again i might be mistaken on MSI as it has a 50% restriction on the CHA_FAN headers, so this could be the reason of the 400rpms on it.... that reminds me i have to test this also.... =(

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:55 am

Abula wrote:but you are saying you can drop the Antec True Quiet 140 on pure bios on SYS_FAN header below 200rpms?

Sorry Abula, it can't go that low on pure BIOS: it's SpeedFan to drive it below 200rpm.
I can't help with actual figures because now that fan is on a splitter with another exhaust, but IIRC on "Level 1" it had to be around 400rpm.

Abula wrote:i might be mistaken on MSI as it has a 50% restriction on the CHA_FAN headers, so this could be the reason of the 400rpms on it....

I think ASRock may have similar issue (and this is one of the reasons I don't like to rely on pure BIOS).

Tzeb

Re: Low rpm fan for [Thermalright] HR 22

Post by Tzeb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:59 am

I have the same mobo.

Speedfan can control only three fan headers. The 3 and 4 pin cpu headers are linked so any speed change will impact both headers.

Bios pics - http://postimg.org/gallery/am85j2z6/

Cpu1+2, chassis fan 1 and 3 are fully customisable, chassis fan 2 has only four presets.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Sorry Abula, it can't go that low on pure BIOS: it's SpeedFan to drive it below 200rpm.
I can't help with actual figures because now that fan is on a splitter with another exhaust, but IIRC on "Level 1" it had to be around 400rpm.
Thanks for the info quest, too bad though, i was getting excited of getting AsRock, still i think its among the best choices, probably even better than MSI out of such tweakablity on the two PWM headers, but at the same time i manage to make it work fine with MSI design, so idk yet, but i do appreciate your comments, as i really don't want to use any software for fancontrol for the next build.
Tzeb wrote:I have the same mobo.

Speedfan can control only three fan headers. The 3 and 4 pin cpu headers are linked so any speed change will impact both headers.

Cpu1+2, chassis fan 1 and 3 are fully customisable, chassis fan 2 has only four presets.
Thanks Tzeb, i had a brief peak on the bios, but not as many screenshots as you posted, really useful, specially the Chasis headers with the 4 presets, btw do you know what % do they do for each? like voltage or %?

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks everybody: i read all your posts, i will give an extensive answer later: now i'm placing the 2 orders to the shops.
Tzeb wrote:I have the same mobo.

Hi, which exact model of mobo do you own? I'm going to buy an Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 AC, but i'm afraid about compatibility issues of Thermalright HR 22 with VRM heatsink of the mobo: they could not fit togheter. But i can't find info about VRM heatsink size.

Tzeb

Post by Tzeb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 am

I have the Asrock Z87 Extreme 6.

I use the NH-D14 on it and there are zero issues with the vrm heatsinks.

Don't know for sure how the bios presets work, but i know that the 0-100% range is just like the 0-100% one from speedfan. I had speedfan set to "smart fan iv" just to verify this. I don't use the header with no speedfan control (chassis fan 2), as i need full control on all the fans. I have a few fans on a single header, as needed.

More info from an older system of mine - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=64355
I kept the same case and everything is new, but fan control works ~just like that one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 am

Tzeb can you tell me the height of the 2 heatsink on vrm (if have ddifferent height)?
Because i'm afraid of the heatpipe of hr 22 more than the heatsink body itself.
Also measure of the socket area would be useful to check by my self the compatibility with hr22.
I understand it isn't easy with noctua d14 mounted.
Here the measure of hr22:
http://www.thermalright.com/html/produc ... ml?panel=1

Ps which bios you use on extreme6? For your information, I read that ver 2.20 improved settings about fan control: a more granular fan management from bios.

Tzeb

Post by Tzeb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:25 am

The heatsink is ~2.6 CM at the highest point. Both parts are the same.

Have faith, the hr22 will not have any issue with this mobo.

I'm on the latest bios, 2.30. Don't know how bios fan control was before as i allways use speedfan.

You have seen from my pictures that three headers can have any 0-100% value and 4 temperature points. Should be enough for a nice simple curve. I'm a die hard speedfan user, as i know it inside and out and also has vga fan control!

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 am

While i don't own any Asrock mobo, i don't think you should have any issue mounting it, the HR22 uses the same mounting system that Thermalright have used for almost all their high end coolers, with a blackplate and front plate with double screws, it doesn't pass anything over the markets square that mobos have drawn on the motherboard (but does utilize the full area), as long as caps are with in standard, it should mount fine, i have used this bracket in 7 builds on 4 different motherboards, in none i have had any issues. Beside the HR22 was also design with the LGA2011 in mind, so the back of the cooler has been consider to have memory on it, and fits semi tall memory, higher than whatever heatsinks the motherboard should come with, and the sides are also very high. The only place i had a semi issue in one of the my installations was one of the pipes was very close to a heatsink, but still the mounting mechanism allows for some tolerance to either side, so i just giggle it a mm to the other side and all work out fine. But then again i don't own your motherboard so i cant say 100% sure it will fit without any issues, my guess is all should be fine, but just a guess.

Just to be sure, contact Thermalright into if they have tested with your desired motherboard, in the past their CM did got me back into things like this, i doubt they test all mobos, but they should try a fair amount.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:24 am

Abula wrote:1) Antec True Quiet 140 imo its the best 140mm fan tonally (but there are limited 140 options, on 120s is much easier to find good fans), and its range is pretty solid still for someone looking for quiet fan, but do remember we add fans for cooling and at 200rpm they don't move much air so kinda defeats the purpose... sort of speak. What im trying to say is that fans do have to have an impact for you to add them, else they are not worth placing, that said i still think its a wonderful fan for it price and sonic signature, just be careful into lowering to much to the point that it wont cool enough.
Yes. The idea (one of the test i will try to understand more by myself once i will have the new rig) is: according to logarithmic way the noise rise, would be better 3 inaudible fans than 1-2 at higer rpm/noise. What i will have to check is if 3 big fans will be able to keep cool the system. Maybe not: i will test. Of curse i will use other tricks if needed (es undervolt, add a discrete vga etc). Right now, the only problem i'm afraid is if that fans at their max rpm will be able to avoid thermal throttle: if not this will became a big issue. But i'm confident about.

Abula wrote:2) Antec True Quiet 140 are able to drop off to 200rpm only on an Asus motherboard with FanXpert2, the reason is even though the bios has a higher restriction, FanXpert2 overides it. On MSI it has 50% restriction on CHA_FAN headers, so the least you can drop them is around 400rpms, not sure on AsRock SYS_FAN headers.
Ok, i will take into account. But i think i will buy to test: for 10€ is ok. Can be usefull for other pc build where i will have less claims. And i'm curious to make experience about silent fans and face it against noctua.

Abula wrote:3) I prefer BIOS fan control out of trying to be minimalist into whats loaded in memory, and this also gives me the flexibility to move into other OS and still have the same fan control as i have with windows, as its all manage by the bios. But there is nothing wrong with software based, before FanXpert2 and even now there are lots of people that use Speedfan with great success, but personally i never been lucky with it, some sensors either are not supported or i cant reach what i want with it, but i blame more myself into not dealing with it. But overall im very pleased into how it turn out with MSI and bios PWM fan control (i have not tested voltage controlled headers on pure bios).
When i started my search for silence, i fallen in love with fan xperts, but i read so many issues over internet about bundle software in generale and specifically about Asus AI 3, included disinstallation issues, that i decided to look for the best bios fan management. And i think that a low level control is more solid and reliable than a software control. The result of this considerations (right or wrong they were) led me to buy an Asrock, also if are considered the cheapest mobo, and in my country they don't give direct worrenty (incredible!). Speedfan seems to be less intuitive, and may not work well with a specific hardware (just now i discover that the user "Tzeb" uses well on this model of mobo, but until today i couldn't be sure of that). To buy a mobo on which build a brand new pc, and after discover to have issues with speedfan (or simply being unable to use), for me was just an unaccettable choice. I'm not enought experienced.

Abula wrote:4) You should check well the AsRock bios for the voltage controlled headers, because in most cases it has much higher restrictions than the PWM headers, for example MSI restricts to 50% as the minimum, and ASUS i believe its 40%, so its a lot higher, and this is the trend in most motherboards, i would expect AsRock to be very similar, so check this before committing into 3pin fans.
I'm not really worried about. As i said, i can plan a different use of a 10€ fan if from bios it won't work. Right now i also have some analogic fan controller. But on the new pc i don't want to use. I want an automatic but reliable and rock solid regulation of fan speed, as technology is today many step forward since i decided to bought the analogic fan controller for my actual/old pc.

Abula wrote:5) Get the fans to whatever you case can handle, if its 120s go for 120s, if its 140s go for 140s, there are lots of good options on 120s 3pins, like Noiseblocker M12 S1, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP12, Nexus Basic 120, etc. For 4pin PWM i would still go with NF-S12A PWM, really a nice fan with very good range of control, as an alternative Scythe Glidestreams PWM might be cheaper and should be pretty decent, just i don't think they will drop as low as the noctuas.
Today i can't mount 140 direct to the case, but in a few mounts i think i will change the case (just the time to make some test with new pc and understand how it works and what i need), and a slow fan on the top as exhaust could be interesting. At least today i can use it with a Zalman bracket/arm i have, to avoid the problem of 120mm fan case attach. And i can use as an emergency fan: if temps rise too much it start running, and not at very low rpm. In case of high temps and risk of thermal throttle, is no more a matter of silence: the first target become to avoid shut off. I can accept a limited amount of noise for a limited time. The eshop doesn't have Scythe.
Abula wrote:I have no experience with Antec True Quiet 120, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but they are not as good at least according to the SPCR Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright, try to the read that roundup fully, as they not only test the Antec True Quiet 120, but they some of the best 120mm fans on the market, like i posted on 5.
i read in the meanwhile you posted this answer: as you can read above, and the result is i decided to avoid 120mm in favor of 140mm, though case issue.

Abula wrote:One last recommendation, and this basically how i would do it.

If you want go with Antec True Quiet 140s, i would favor an Asus motherboard with FanXpert2, and a case like Fractal Design Define R4, to me its the easiest way to do an extremely quiet setup.

If your case has 120s, then i would go with NF-S12A PWM for the case fans and control them via SYS_FAN1, if more add more than 2, then consider getting a PWM fan splitter that draws the current from the PSU, and just the signal for the motherboard, this is not to overload the motherboard header.

If you are set on the HR22, the ideal fan imo for it is the Noctua NF-A15 PWM, mostly because its a very similar fan to the TY141, so it should fit with the included clips, has a very good PWM range of control, and should be very quiet at low rpms. In case you are not 100% sure on the HR22, then also consider the Noctua NH-U14S Slim 140mm Tower Cooler, its performance is very similar to the HR22 on 6V, higher than that the U14S beats slightly the HR22, and i would assume that below 6V, the HR22 should win also to the U14S, mostly because of its design to work better passively or with little airflow, but U14S also comes with the fan already so should be a cheaper option than buying the HR22 + fan, either way just throwing some options for you to consider.
The other 2 fans are the noctua you suggested. Hope i won't need really a 3rd fan always on. Antec is just a whim: i won't build the pc on it. If work is ok (i can also try asrock software if can do better than bios, or use the double settings you said: at start controlled by bios n high rpm, and after on the software to low rpm), if not i will use in my 2nd pc. Anyway i'm buying this pwm splitter (http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/ ... d=63&tab=1), to be covered in case of future purchase of pwm fans (although i could use the noctua's one, without psu molex).
As passive mode is my primary target, i will try HR22. If is going to be a total fail (i don't belive so), i will change heatsink.

I will post my experience, tough i will need days to receive the hardware and strart testing. The shop where i'm buying has good prices but slow services.

quest_for_silence wrote: ASRock UEFI usually works with SpeedFan, which has no calibration procedures but I prefer it over fancier option.
IMO the 120 isn't on par with the TQ140, and it can't go as low as it, but it's not a bad fan: I used it, as well as the TwoCool 120, and then dismissed.
If you're looking for a cheap, lowish-able 120mm 3-pin fan, look at Scythe: the 800rpm rated model can go as low as ~200rpm (as usually also the PWM ones), the 1200rpm rated models can go as low as ~350rpm.
They have fairly benign sound signature, but also some sample variance (so shit happens, particularly with reference to clicking), tonally I prefer the Slipstream (end of life) over the Glidestream.
As i wrote above, after reading SPCR test, i will avoid 120mm True quiet. But Scythe is not sold by my dealer. But i will take into account for future choice.....

Abula wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:The Antec True Quiet 140 can go as low as about 150-170rpm with ASRock UEFI
This question is more for the future for me, but you are saying you can drop the Antec True Quiet 140 on pure bios on SYS_FAN header below 200rpms? I guess if the SYS_FAN2 or 3, have the same multiple breakpoints, you could place it high on let say 20C and drop it to to the least you can on 30C (or whatever the idle temps are), like something to start them and avoid what happens on the MSI mobo with the starting voltage, then again i might be mistaken on MSI as it has a 50% restriction on the CHA_FAN headers, so this could be the reason of the 400rpms on it.... that reminds me i have to test this also.... =(
Not sure, i will have to confirm once i will have the hardare on my hands, but (maybe it was for asus only) you shouldn't be able to give value that are lower than the previous breakpoints. The curve can only rise.
But i can't confirm this now.

For me isn't a big issue the cpu fan 1/2 mirrored control; is a good thing: if i need 2 fans i use either 2 pwm (and i don't see the benefit of giving 2 different settings), or 2 3pin fans (again with a split and same settings). The utility of haveing a 3 pin and a 4 pin is that on the cpu i have the flexibility to use or a 3 pin or a 4 pin fan. And, as i can see, always with the most granular control that asrock give (also for the non pwm fan).

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:45 am

Tzeb wrote:The heatsink is ~2.6 CM at the highest point. Both parts are the same.

Have faith, the hr22 will not have any issue with this mobo.

I'm on the latest bios, 2.30. Don't know how bios fan control was before as i allways use speedfan.

You have seen from my pictures that three headers can have any 0-100% value and 4 temperature points. Should be enough for a nice simple curve. I'm a die hard speedfan user, as i know it inside and out and also has vga fan control!

Very well: thank you. It was the only dubt remained....

If i remember well, previous version didn't allow to shout down to 0 rpm the fans: this is the biggest difference. And maybe added more granular settings.

Ps is there a way to check the revision of the mobo before buying? Asus says if is a C2 step in the name/product code. Asrock seems don't. Do you know anything to avoid the usb bug of C1 step of chipset Z87?

I saw the screenshot of bios (and i already knew this capability for asrock): it is one of the purpose why i choose asrock. What i didn't know was the 4 presets for one of the 3 pin fan, but for me isn't a big issue: i hope i will be able to use 2 (without case side panel) max 3 fans, and i will use pwm splitter for pwm fans, if needed.

Abula wrote:While i don't own any Asrock mobo, i don't think you should have any issue mounting it, the HR22 uses the same mounting system that Thermalright have used for almost all their high end coolers, with a blackplate and front plate with double screws, it doesn't pass anything over the markets square that mobos have drawn on the motherboard (but does utilize the full area), as long as caps are with in standard, it should mount fine, i have used this bracket in 7 builds on 4 different motherboards, in none i have had any issues. Beside the HR22 was also design with the LGA2011 in mind, so the back of the cooler has been consider to have memory on it, and fits semi tall memory, higher than whatever heatsinks the motherboard should come with, and the sides are also very high. The only place i had a semi issue in one of the my installations was one of the pipes was very close to a heatsink, but still the mounting mechanism allows for some tolerance to either side, so i just giggle it a mm to the other side and all work out fine. But then again i don't own your motherboard so i cant say 100% sure it will fit without any issues, my guess is all should be fine, but just a guess.

Just to be sure, contact Thermalright into if they have tested with your desired motherboard, in the past their CM did got me back into things like this, i doubt they test all mobos, but they should try a fair amount.

Great! I think i have enough infos right now to place the order. I'm just waiting for availability confirmations....
In such few days i got a great amount of infos and fast reply as i wasn't wont on other forums i use.... Not counting the infos i read before signing in! :!:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 am

Atlantis 666 wrote:to be covered in case of future purchase of pwm fans (although i could use the noctua's one, without psu molex).

As said by Abula, it's not advisable to get rid of the molex, as you may burn the mobo header (without it, I mean).

Atlantis 666 wrote:As i wrote above, after reading SPCR test, i will avoid 120mm True quiet. But Scythe is not sold by my dealer. But i will take into account for future choice.....

Well, the shop you linked above (I mean BPM) should have Scythes, anyway the Noctua fans will work very good.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:49 am

Anyway i'm buying this pwm splitter (http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/ ... d=63&tab=1), to be covered in case of future purchase of pwm fans (although i could use the noctua's one, without psu molex).
This is also a good PWM fan splitter, not to easy to get for the US, but i seen used by a lot of people on OCN forums more for Europe. Personally i see it better than akasas out of having less cables or its better tucked inside the sleeving.

Personally i only recommend 1 fan for each header, but i have used two in the past, specially with twin fan on the cpu cooler, and been alright, weather the header can stand to power more than that... its something you should check with the manufacturer of the motherbaord and the rating of the header, personally i just prefer to use the splitter like the gelid, they are not that expensive and will allow you to run as many fans as you want from a single header safely.

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 am

Abula wrote:
Anyway i'm buying this pwm splitter (http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/ ... d=63&tab=1), to be covered in case of future purchase of pwm fans (although i could use the noctua's one, without psu molex).
This is also a good PWM fan splitter, not to easy to get for the US, but i seen used by a lot of people on OCN forums more for Europe. Personally i see it better than akasas out of having less cables or its better tucked inside the sleeving.

Personally i only recommend 1 fan for each header, but i have used two in the past, specially with twin fan on the cpu cooler, and been alright, weather the header can stand to power more than that... its something you should check with the manufacturer of the motherbaord and the rating of the header, personally i just prefer to use the splitter like the gelid, they are not that expensive and will allow you to run as many fans as you want from a single header safely.
Good to know.

About fans: after hours of selections, i took the final decision.
Main fans are going to be the 2 Noctua (NF-A15 PWM and NF-S12A PWM). I hope i can manage the pc with only these 2.
But i'm going also to buy The Antec 1400 Tue Quiet (good for future case, and for test purpose, considering low price, good tonality, and not too high rpm -also if the lowest can be reached only with speedfan or asus xpert, that i won't/cant' use-).
And as i found the Scythe on both the shops (i was sure at least in one of these there wasn't), i decided for Slip Stream 120 800 rpm model (SY1225SL12L). At the incredible cheap cost of 6€, it is worth to give a try: will be usefull now to use in my actual case as infront fan, that should be not so important if i will have only 1 ssd and the side panel is open. According to 2 different SPCR article seems better of Glide stream 120 (and also Quiet_for_silence said so as subjective tonality evaluation). The PWM series of Slips Stream and Glide Stream have too high minimum rpm to be suitable for me.
The Schyte Gentle Typhoon, maybe a little better than Slip Stream, seems not to be available in the shops i'm going to buy. In such a way i will not need to use the pwm split for now (but i will buy anyway).

Atlantis 666

Post by Atlantis 666 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Atlantis 666 wrote:to be covered in case of future purchase of pwm fans (although i could use the noctua's one, without psu molex).

As said by Abula, it's not advisable to get rid of the molex, as you may burn the mobo header (without it, I mean).

Atlantis 666 wrote:As i wrote above, after reading SPCR test, i will avoid 120mm True quiet. But Scythe is not sold by my dealer. But i will take into account for future choice.....

Well, the shop you linked above (I mean BPM) should have Scythes, anyway the Noctua fans will work very good.
Yes i found them in both shops: see the above post (at 6€ i will buy Slip Stream 120 800 rpm). :wink:

Thanks!