connecting 3pin fans to 4pin headers (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

octeuron

connecting 3pin fans to 4pin headers (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H)

Post by octeuron » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:14 am

hi,

I have some older parts that i never used from a cancelled build years ago (2x nexus 120mm case fans and a scythe ninja plus revB)

im building a haswell ( 4770k / Z87X-UD3H / fractal R3 ) machine, which will be dual boot win7 / hackintosh.

ive attached the ninja with katers solution using the 775 mount and some screws/washers.

however I noticed that both the Nexus fans as well as the stock ninja fan have 3 pin connectors.

what are my options?

firstoff, should I use the stock scythe fan that came with the ninja to cool the cpu?
will it run full speed at all times?

or should I buy another/newer/quiter/4pin fan for the cpu?

for the case fans (Nexus 120mm) should I just connect them to the 4pin headers? or does that mean that I will not have fan control, and they will always run at full speed?

or should I buy a fan controller and will that solve all my problems?

thanx

Abula

Re: connecting 3pin fans to 4pin headers (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:41 am

Usually most motherboards only have 1 true pwm header and its the CPU_FAN (aka 4pin), the rest most of the time are voltage regulated, and even though they are physically 4pin, they are not fully 4pins but just more for show, they are more like 3pins. So in essence your main subject of this thread is over, as you should be fine connecting your Nexus 3pin to the chassis fan headers, the more important question is how you want to control them.

Gigabyte is not known to have out of the ordinary bios fan control, but play around with it and see if its good enough for you.

Personally for dual boot and specially none windows os, i would avoid software control. Probably an external fan controller would be the best route in terms of bieng independant to the OS you are loading, or the bios as long as it can control the fans the way you want.