Looking for a fan WITHOUT ticking/clicking noise

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sirius

Looking for a fan WITHOUT ticking/clicking noise

Post by Sirius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi,
i have decided to modify my computer and keep the components, just change the case and fans.

So far i got
1. coolermaster hyper tx3 cpu cooler: working on 980rpm E8400 cpu. Satisfied with noise and no clicking/ticking sound.
2. PSU - chieftec 550 - satisfied - no clicking / ticking noise.
Sapphire 3850 512 Mb - i got accelero S1 plus (passive cooler). No noise at all and temperatures reduced over 20%. Though - i have to find a decent 120mm fan at low rpm to place it on.

And now - the case "case". I got Antec GX500 with 3 120mm fans and low/high speed settings.
The first one i took had audible clicking noise from top fans on high speed. I replaced it under RMA and the second GX500 had EVEN MORE CLICKING noise from top fans at low speed. So - Antec is out for now.

Now the questions:
1. Which 120mm fan to buy THAT HAS NO CLICKING noise?
- Fractal Design Silent Series R2 silent?
- Coolink Swift 120mm?
- Scythe Gentle Typhoon?

2. Since im looking for a case, i have found Fractal Design Core 3000 usb 3.0 - comes with fan controller. Do 120/140mm Fractal Silent Series R2 fans have clicking / ticking noise?
Corsair 200 R - the same question?

Or the simplest solution would be to buy a cheap Thermaltake V3/V4 case and buy 120mm fans that have no clicking noise :)

Thanks in advance

Sirius

Re: Looking for a fan WITHOUT ticking/clicking noise

Post by Sirius » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:18 am

Ok, i found some fan noise tests on youtube.
Example of clicking noise Antec Two Cool http://youtu.be/aZImJ8jeeN4?t=30s
more fan noise videos http://www.youtube.com/user/atreviewnet/videos

Izanagi

Re: Looking for a fan WITHOUT ticking/clicking noise

Post by Izanagi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey there,

I got 3 of the 140mm r2 fans from fractal. Ons of those is clicking, the other 2 are not.
They're all in vertical position, so I'm guessing its just down to luck with the batch the fan was in.

The clicking is not loud, but my PC is sitting next to my monitor (why else build such a beautiful piece of equipment? To set it at ur feet? :p). So yea, I hear the clicking, at all fanspeeds (it does get overwhelmed by the turbulence noise at 12v tho)

Hope this helps u.