How quiet is the current OEM Intel cooler (i7 4770K)?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RDaneel

How quiet is the current OEM Intel cooler (i7 4770K)?

Post by RDaneel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:36 am

I'm trying to keep costs down for my system rebuild, and am wondering if I can (gulp) stick with the OEM cooler. I have used Scythe Ninja coolers on my last couple builds, but chips are a lot more efficient than they were the last time I went through this exercise.

Does the OEM cooler work well enough to not be obtrusive (in an actively-cooled but carefully designed system), or do I need to drop $50 on a tower cooler again?

Thanks for any advice!

quest_for_silence

Re: How quiet is the current OEM Intel cooler (i7 4770K)?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 am

RDaneel wrote:Does the OEM cooler work well enough to not be obtrusive (in an actively-cooled but carefully designed system), or do I need to drop $50 on a tower cooler again?

It's the usual crap: if I were you, I would think to reuse your Ninja, at first glance.

RDaneel

Post by RDaneel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am

That stinks. My Ninja is 4 years old, so I'm guessing it isn't compatible with the newer sockets, but I'll try to figure it out.

Otherwise, I guess the question is how much I'll have to spend to get something that will work well with a quiet Nexus 120mm.

Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:23 pm

RDaneel wrote:That stinks. My Ninja is 4 years old, so I'm guessing it isn't compatible with the newer sockets, but I'll try to figure it out.

In these forum there are already some indications about how to mount a Ninja on 1156/1155/1150 sockets: check them out.

RDaneel wrote:how much I'll have to spend to get something that will work well with a quiet Nexus 120mm.

Providing you won't overclock, a modest Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should be enough (but there are also alternatives from Scythe and Thermalright).
I don't know whether a 3-pin Nexus would work well with current 4-pin PWM CPU headers.

RDaneel

Post by RDaneel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks, Luca. I think I'll probably get a new cooler just to avoid any risk of failure - I can't afford to have this cooler come loose if someone kicks the computer ;)

I see the last gen Cooler Master, the Hyper T4 (appears nearly the same as the 212, with some reports that it was actually a better design than the original 212) for only $20. I may give that a shot. I can always get a new PWM fan if the stock fan stinks. The manufacturer quotes a 600rpm minimum speed, so I'm hoping that is inaudible in my system.

Thanks again!

brian.r.hamilton

Post by brian.r.hamilton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 am

I have a related question but will start a new topic if that's better (or mods feel free to move this). How does something like a Big Shuriken 2 compare to the stock cooler in terms of noise & thermal performance? I haven't been able to find much info on the stock cooler.