problem finding a cooler for this LGA1150 motherboard

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spcmhe

problem finding a cooler for this LGA1150 motherboard

Post by spcmhe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:34 pm

I'd tried mounting a CM Hyper 212 EVO on an Asus H81T/CSM motherboard, but three small components on the underside of the board prevent the placement of the EVO's back plate (photo below).

Can anyone suggest a similar cooler (tall, 120mm fan) with a back plate that will work with this motherboard?

If possible, I prefer a cooler with a back plate to stabilize the heat sink.

lodestar

Re: problem finding a cooler for this LGA1150 motherboard

Post by lodestar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Thermalright have dispensed with the CPU cooler backplate entirely for the latest Rev. A release of the True Spirit 120M, using bolts and insulating washers (see the illustration below, from the XtremeSystems review of this cooler). This would work well in your situation since it eliminates potential cooler backplate/motherboard component conflicts. I suspect the combination of the existing motherboard backplate and the anchoring mount that Thermalright use in any case makes the need for a separate cooler backplate marginal at best. Judging by this particular review, it certainly seems to have no negative impact on cooling performance.

spcmhe

Post by spcmhe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks, lodestar.

As the Thermalright 120M and Hyper 212 weigh about the same (465-470g), I'm wondering if there's any difference between the Thermalright "no backplate, but fasten with screws and washers" solution versus just using washers and no backplate with the Hyper 212 (as suggested by xan_user in a different thread)?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40 am

Screws and nylon insulating washers should do just as well provided they will work with the Evo's mounting system.

spcmhe

Post by spcmhe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks, lodestar.

Stayed with the CM Hyper 212 EVO.

I used two washers underneath the motherboard at each standoff: a rubber washer to avoid damaging the traces, a nylon washer below it, and then of course the nut to tighten it.

Seems plenty strong without a backplate.

Slight concern that the rubber will deteriorate over time. But easy to fix as long as the rubber doesn't damage the motherboard.

Now installing Windows 7.

Thanks again.