Best 80mm fans for chasis

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexb

Best 80mm fans for chasis

Post by alexb » Thu May 01, 2014 11:24 pm

What are the best 80mm fans right now to use for case cooling? I do have an MSI 890GX motherboard, not sure what exact fan controlling it provides (i.e. if it can adjust fan speed), but my case only takes 80 and not 120mm, so need to find what's the best 80mm fans right now.

Thanks

quest_for_silence

Re: Best 80mm fans for chasis

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 02, 2014 11:57 am

alexb wrote:What are the best 80mm fans right now to use for case cooling?

Broadly speaking you may look at Arctic Cooling, Nexus, and Noctua: surely there will also be other options, but these all are fine choices.

alexb

Post by alexb » Fri May 02, 2014 3:30 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
alexb wrote:What are the best 80mm fans right now to use for case cooling?

Broadly speaking you may look at Arctic Cooling, Nexus, and Noctua: surely there will also be other options, but these all are fine choices.
Thanks, I remember back a few years ago Panaflo was the best 80mm... I guess not so much anymore, right?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 am

They were venerated back in the day. But Panaflo have not disappeared, although finding stockists in the UK nowadays is not so easy. Elsewhere it is a different story. SideWinder Computers for example stock quite a range, including a 'ultra quiet' 80mm. It seems Panaflo never did make the transition to PWM. So the best option nowadays for setting up 80mm fan case cooling with a MSI 890GX might be to use PWM fans chained off the CPU fan header. Noctua supply a PWM Y cable adapter and PWM extension cable with their 80mm fans which makes this somewhat easier to do.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 03, 2014 3:21 am

alexb wrote:Thanks, I remember back a few years ago Panaflo was the best 80mm... I guess not so much anymore, right?

Noise-wise it isn't the very best since about eight-ten years ago: you may find an old comparison with the Nexus here.