Help for a 450€ budget quiet PC - help to start well

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jmf11

Re: Help for a 450€ budget quiet PC - help to start well

Post by jmf11 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:49 am

Same all the time. Change something near the end, and then it happens that you've forgotten to check something...

The MSI B85M-G43 is ordered, but it appears that it has no 3-pin fan header. Only 2x4-pin. On indication in the manual about the ability or not to switch between voltage or PWM sped control. In fact almost nothing on this topic in the manual...

I imagine that the option will be to buy 1 or 2 replacement 120mm PWM fans. What would be the good references to consider here ?

JMF

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 am

The 120mm Noctua PWM fans such as the NF-S12A will drop to speeds around 350/450 rpm at idle with most motherboards, so could be worth the cost if quietness is a priority. The expense is partially offset by the extras such as the rubber mounts, Y PWM cable and PWM extension cable that Noctua include in the package.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 01, 2014 1:59 pm

jmf11 wrote:What would be the good references to consider here ?

The very same ones you have on the Mugen (or onto the Kotetsu): a Scythe PWM, either a Slipstream or a Glidestream.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 01, 2014 6:57 pm

jmf11 wrote:The MSI B85M-G43 is ordered, but it appears that it has no 3-pin fan header. Only 2x4-pin. On indication in the manual about the ability or not to switch between voltage or PWM sped control. In fact almost nothing on this topic in the manual...
Even though fan headers are 4pin dont mean they are PWM headers, most manufactures have only one true PWM fan header (CPU_FAN), and MSI and AsRock in some motherboards have 2 real PWM fan headers, but its not the case of the motherboard you chose. On MSI the PWM fan headers are CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2, and the voltage controlled headers are SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN (even if they are 4pin). On my MSI Z87 GD65, the PWM headers can be setup up in 12.5% increments, i would assume your CPU_FAN header will be able to do the same, now on the SYS_FAN i think its going to be voltage controlled, and restricted by bios to 50%.

You can still go with PWM fans but you would need to use a PWM fan splitter and connect it to the CPU_FAN.

On the fans, NF-S12A PWM is a great fan, but its expensive, so depending on your budget the Scythe Glidestream PWM might be a good option as well.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the references for the chassis fans. It helps.

@Abula: I had a deep look at the MSI B85M-G43, and here are the statements:

CPUFAN1,SYSFAN1~2: Fan Power Connectors
The fan power connectors support system cooling fans with +12V. If the motherboard has a System Hardware Monitor chipset on-board, you must use a specially designed fan with a speed sensor to take advantage of the CPU fan control. Remember to connect all system fans. Some system fans may not connect to the motherboard and will instead connect to the power supply directly. A system fan can be plugged into
any available system fan connector.
1.Ground
2.+12V
3.Sense
4.Speed Control

These connectors support Smart Fan Control with liner mode. The Command Center utility can be installed to automatically control the fan speeds according to the CPU’s and system’s temperature.
If there are not enough ports on the motherboard to connect all system fans, adapters are available to connect a fan directly to a power supply. Before first boot up, ensure that there are no cables impeding any fan blades.

I hope that the motherboard HAS "a System Hardware Monitor chipset on-board, you must use a specially designed fan with a speed sensor to take advantage of the CPU fan control" !!!! The pins schema let think that they are real PWM ones.... I can't believe that the manual and specs are not more clear about that. How do you want to shop the right product ????

Hopefully your community is here. Thanks a lot !!!

Regards,

JMF

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:10 am

I finally ordered the Scythe Kotetsu ;-).

To share shopping costs, I added an artic cooler F12 PWM. Nopt so well rated, but it will allow to do some tests and troubleshoot the Mobo possibilities for Fan control. At some point, it may finish at the chassis intake, only activated at highest loads. Let's see.

Kind regards,

JMF

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri May 02, 2014 7:25 am

jmf11 wrote:...These connectors support Smart Fan Control with liner mode....
I suspect that your chassis fan connectors fall into the 'fake' category; that it is 4 physical pins are supported but PWM fans will run under voltage control. With Asus motherboards this control in around 60% minimum or about 7V. MSI are supposed to go a bit lower, to around 50% or 6V. But as you have an Arctic F12 with built-in PWM sharing, the best option in any case may be to run this fan from the CPU header. In this scenario the F12 is plugged into the CPU header first and then the Scythe CPU fan is plugged into the socket on the F12 cable. The last Arctic PWM fan that I had had a separate yellow speed sensing wire. This can be plugged into a chassis fan header to give both PWM sharing and a speed indicator from both fans on the PWM chain. Even though the chassis fan header is only being used for speed sensing it might be necessary to turn off or set to ignore any minimum chassis fan speed settings/warning levels. With a CPU/chassis fan PWM chain the best way to deploy the chassis fan is probably as an exhaust rather than an intake. No doubt your testing will soon establish if this is the case.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:59 am

Yes sure ;-)

I have now 3 ongoing orders to cope with the different needed items. Hpe to have everything by the end of next week, ans start mount the config. I'll be happy to sort out the question about fan headers. I really do not understand why they make this so unclear and such a mess, as having a good management of the fans is the key to a low noise setup...

Regards,

JMF

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi,

Everything is at home and I stated the building. It is the first time I build a PC, so it takes a bit longer to get it right.

I'm about to fit the Scythe Kotetsu CPU cooler.

I still have a dose of Artic silver "Ceramique 2". Would you use this one or the scythe thermal compound provided by Scythe with the cooler ? The best conductivity would help keep the CPU cool.

Regards,

JMF

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 pm

The conductivity difference between any two is close to negligible. I like Ceramique because it's easy to work with and is electrically non-conductive.

Hey - you'll be the first Kotetsu build in-the-wild.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 pm

And another question about the CPU cooler orientation.

If I put the the Heat sink "normally", as in the last picture of http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/case ... 2_review/6 , then it touches the side panel.

I should be able to close the panel, but I don't like the perspective to have a contact between the CPU cooler that may vibrate a bit with the fan, and the side panel (from noise perspective). Would it matter ?

Can it be considered to turn the heat sink 90° with the air flow going from the top toward the bottom, or reverse ? I don't know if this will have important cooling consequences on the cooling or not...

Regards,

JMF

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 12, 2014 11:26 pm

jmf11 wrote:I should be able to close the panel, but I don't like the perspective to have a contact between the CPU cooler that may vibrate a bit with the fan, and the side panel (from noise perspective). Would it matter ?

I have a very similar setup with a Cooler Master Hyper 412S (160mm) inside an Aerocool QS-200 Advance (pretty much about a very similar structure of those Cooler Master Silencio 352 and N200 enclosures), and it didn't matter.

So I guess it won't matter for you too, because as far as I know/see the heatpipes shouldn't actually bulge on the side panel, and it should spare a few tenths of a millimeter of further clearance (but I'd advice you to slide in the side panel slowly and carefully).
Even if the pipes actually should bulge, in my experience expected vibrations coming from the rotating fan shouldn't matter that much in most cases.

jmf11 wrote:Can it be considered to turn the heat sink 90° with the air flow going from the top toward the bottom, or reverse ? I don't know if this will have important cooling consequences on the cooling or not...

Cooling-wise, as you have a top grille, you have just to try: as a rule of thumb, a front-to-back cooling may usually work better than other setup but, just for example, with wide spaced fins heatsink, a rotated placement may actually help (it helped me with an HR-01 inside an Antec One Hundred), particularly if you're going to populate that opening with a fan (to be fair, at first glance it wouldn't seem the case for your Kotetsu). So your mileage may vary.

Noise-wise, usually a straight (or somehow direct) path from a noise source to your ears is not the best option, and maybe you'd better to block the top exhaust: but again, depending of the enclosure placemente, and providing the fans spin at very low speed, you have to try as actually YMMV.

From a practical standpoint, I think it shouldn't matter that much, dealing with a moderately powered and energy efficient Haswell Pentium, but it could be fun to make some experiments or tinkering with.

Anyway, broadly speaking, about fans placement and orientation, you may give a read to this rather informative article: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/0 ... tigation/1

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:00 am

Thanks for the feedback.

So I'll try the easy way:
- keep the conventional CPU cooler orientation,
- remove locally the side panel foam, in order to ease the side panl sliding over the top of the CPU cooler (I think something like 2cm),
- be careful when closing the box.

I confirm that there won't be a bulge... but it will touch the side panel locally.

I will then see what is the noise level, the activity of the fans... and fine tune the setup.

I won't be at home the major part of the week, so I'll have to wait for next week to play with my new toy ;-)

Regards,

JMF

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:45 am

Hi all,

A small intermediate update. Sorry for the dealy, but I had some issues to gat the OS OK. The PC is running fine.

The Kotetsu finally fits into the case. Very tight fit, but better than expected. No need to remove some foam...

I confirm that the standard Cooler Master Silencio fans are not PWM ones.

The MSI B85-G43 mobo seem really to have real PWM SYS-FAN connectors and not fake one. When you manually set the fan speed, they stay at full speed, so I imagine that there is no voltage control.

Playing a bit with MSI Command Center, I noticed that:
- min speed allowed by the tool for CPU_FAN is 20%
- min speed allowed by the tool for SYS_FAN is 50% (I feel it is too high :-( )

So I'll take time to check the SYS_FAN with a PWM fan I bought. I confirmed that the mobo has only PWM control, and can't have settings to stop one SYS-FAN, I'll install my PWM fan at the outtake and suppress the intake fan. This config should be sufficient for my setup.

I'll update this thread.

Thanks again for all the advices provided. They proved to be very useful.

Regards,

JMF

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 22, 2014 4:20 am

jmf11 wrote:Playing a bit with MSI Command Center, I noticed that:
- min speed allowed by the tool for CPU_FAN is 20%
- min speed allowed by the tool for SYS_FAN is 50% (I feel it is too high :-( )

You might get rid of MSI Command Center and give a try to SpeedFan, in order to see whether those limitations might be overcame (as I guess): anyway, the 20% low limit for a Scythe Glidestream doesn't matter at all, as it will spin no more than ~600rpm up to 30-33% duty cycle; on the other hand, the 50% low limit is more severe, as the F12 should spin around 800-900rpm, so clearly audible.
Whether SpeedFan shouldn't work for you (but I don't expect so), if I recall correctly that F12 PWM should bundle a basic PWM splitter, so maybe you could daisy-chain it to the CPU fan header.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 22, 2014 5:30 am

jmf11 wrote:- min speed allowed by the tool for CPU_FAN is 20%
On Bios is 12.5% for CPU_FAN, at least on my MSI Z87GD65
jmf11 wrote:- min speed allowed by the tool for SYS_FAN is 50% (I feel it is too high :-( )
This is why i use PWM fans + PWM Fan Header (CPU_FAN) + GELID PWM Fan Splitter CA-PWM-03, but all fans will get the same PWM signal, so you gotta chose carefully the fans. Or as quest posted, try Speed_fan.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am

Bad news tonight. When I started, the PSU fan started to make a loud noise related to its rotation. Tak, Tak, Tak, Tak... I tried to look through the grid of the PSU, and I didn't spotted any obvious contact point or cable that would touch the PSU fan.

Any idea before dismounting every thing in the desktop and ask for a replacement (and have no PC for 2 or 3 weeks) ?

It is a rebaged 360W 80+ gold seasonic PSU. It seems to come from the center of the fan, the casing that houses the motor of the fan, but not sure. I think it had done this at the first switch on, and after that it had been dead quiet...

Help :-(

Regards,

JMF

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 22, 2014 11:34 am

Most likely: some cable is touching the fan.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 am

I look through the PSU grid with a lamp... and I really see no cable touching the propeller.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Hello,

So my power supply was the faulty component. It has been replaced and arrived yesterday. It is now back in the PC.

So from noise perspective I could do some early tests:
- the Kotetsu with its fan seems VERY QUIET,
- the optic disk is not perfectly silent, bu very quiet also
- the WD green 2 Tb and the power supply are doing a bit of noise if you put you ear against the device,
- The artic F12 pro PWM running at 50% (min setting from the MSI program) is still OK
- the stock Cooler Master fan (intake - not PWN) is the noisest component, so I simply unplugged it.

The CPU fan is running at around 680 rpm at 20% setting.

At the moment the case is still open to do the tests. In this configuration, even with min fan speeds, the CPU temp tops at 42°C, and the Heatsink stays cold (up to the point that I fear that there is no contact between the CPU and the heatsink).

I now have to play a bit with the BIOS and eventually with speedfan to fine tune the config.

I'm already happy with the result, with a config that is homogeneous: all main components are on the quiet side.

Thanks again for your help to design and set-up this system,

Kind regards,

JMF

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:43 pm

For your interest, Speedfan seems not to detect the B85 chipset ans control the Mobo fans. It also provides a wrong CPU temp (128°C at idle when the MSI tool gives something like 30°C).

Regqrds,

JMF

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:20 am

jmf11 wrote:For your interest, Speedfan seems not to detect the B85 chipset ans control the Mobo fans. It also provides a wrong CPU temp (128°C at idle when the MSI tool gives something like 30°C).

Regqrds,

JMF
You'd better to post some screenshots as it's unlikely (even if it's not impossible) what you're saying, and there might be just a misconfiguration.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 am

Hello,

Sorry to have been a bit long. I wanted to make sure that my issue was not coming from just not reading the Fanspeed FAQ.

Here are two screen captures:
- one with MSI tool that displays CPU temp, core temps, system temp, and Fan speed with the temps displayed and the config temperature tab,
- one with Fanspeed info tab, that says "no known chipset detected".

The MSI B85M-G43 (MS-7823) is not in the list of Fanspeed supported Mobo.

I confirm that in the BIOS, the min setting for the CPU fan is 12,5%, but the difference with 20% in detected RPMs is not obvious. I feel that it is not really an issue as the Scythe fan is very quiet. In the BIOS, the min setting for the SysFan1 is still 50% => too high. I would be really happy to lower this speed.

So first thing would be to clarify which value gives the CPU temp in Fanspeed, and whay there is something like a 15°C offsett for the core temps.

Then, it would be to check if fanspeed can control the fan's speed of this Mobo.

Regards, JMF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:10 am

jmf11 wrote:...I confirm that in the BIOS, the min setting for the CPU fan is 12,5%, but the difference with 20% in detected RPMs is not obvious. I feel that it is not really an issue as the Scythe fan is very quiet...
Most PWM fans have a minimum speed which is maintained regardless of the % duty setting in the BIOS or the % setting the chipset is sending the fan in response to CPU temperature. So for the Kotetsu fan the details from the SPCR review show that at 0% duty cycle the fan speed is 563 rpm, rises a touch to 566 rpm at 20% and only starts to increase speed at 30% duty cycle when 637 rpm is reached. This type of PWM profile helps to avoid the nuisance of CPU fan speed constantly varying if system stress or ambient temperatures rise or fall slightly.
jmf11 wrote:In the BIOS, the min setting for the SysFan1 is still 50% => too high. I would be really happy to lower this speed.
Seems like the Arctic 120 PWM 120 is running under voltage control. To use it in PWM mode you need to plug it into the CPU PWM header. The plug on the Arctic should be on the end of a short length of cable with a socket at the other end. The CPU fan needs to be plugged into this socket, both fans will then operate under PWM control and it should lower the rpm of the Arctic fan significantly. May seem an odd way of doing it but this is how the Arctic PST (PWM Sharing Technology) works.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

Hi,

Here are the last updates. I decided to go the simple way. So I chained as proposed the PWM chassis fan with the CPU fan. It works as expected. The chassis Fan then runs at idle at around 780 rpm and is more quiet.

I'm currently running a stress test with prime95 to check the situation when full speed:
- room at 20°C (south of France, summer arrives),
- the two cores at 100%
- PWM duty cycle at 20% => CPU fan at 680 rpm and Chassis fan at 780 rpm (seems to be the min speed for both fans in my config)
- The two cores are at around 52°C => fine !

I'll try to do some tests with only the CPU fan...

However, I confirm that the B85M-G43 sysfan headers are real PWM ones, and not voltage controlled !!!! They control the speed of PWM fans, but not of non pwm fans. Definitely. I really regrets that MSI has put software imitations in their BIOS and Command Center. I hope that they will correct this "mistake".

Regards,

JMF

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:20 am

jmf11 wrote:- one with Fanspeed info tab, that says "no known chipset detected".

I guess you can forget that information, usually it doesn't matter at all: in my experience I never look at that tab, as SpeedFan actually deal with the Super I/O chip (the interface of the chipset).

jmf11 wrote:The MSI B85M-G43 (MS-7823) is not in the list of Fanspeed supported Mobo.

It doesn't matter at all too, as that list is buit by user feedbacks.

jmf11 wrote:I confirm that in the BIOS, the min setting for the CPU fan is 12,5%, but the difference with 20% in detected RPMs is not obvious. I feel that it is not really an issue as the Scythe fan is very quiet. In the BIOS, the min setting for the SysFan1 is still 50% => too high. I would be really happy to lower this speed.

The real difference between SpeedFan and most of monitoring tools is that SpeedFan need to be fully configured before using it satisfactorily: I'm used to say it has a rather steep learning curve, our appreciated co-forumer Abula hate that, often summarizing that SpeedFan is unable to correctly identify the sensors out of the box.

Anyway, you need to configure SpeedFan: usually I do that with the help of another monitoring interface, my choice is HWiNFO, but you may use Open Hardware Monitor, or the paid clone Hardware Monitor (indeed OHM is the actual open source clone).

Well, running the HWiNFO Sensors window along with SpeedFan I look for matching the sensors on both the programs: in your case, it look like the 128°C temp is a stuck sensor, which probably HWiNFO won't detect at all, and I use the temp values as a guide (when the values are the same, probably it's the same sensor, despite of the name; varying the fan speed, whether the relevant temps change the same way, I'm sure it's the same sensor).
Just for the cores temperature, as it's an arbitrary scale, I use a different calibration tool: my choice is Real Temp 3.70, but you can use CoreTemp also, but even HWiNFo isn't so far from Real Temp readings, usually.

Well, when I've indetified all the mysterious sensors, I disable all the unnecessary ones into the Configuration tab (unchecking the relevant control boxes) and I rename the useful ones (click on the name until it highlights) in a meaningful way.
Then I will bind those useful sensors to the relevant fan speeds I want to control: so click on the "plus" sign and check any relevant box, and finally set the relevant Temp thresholds (desired and warning).

The second step is to disable all the unused reported fan header under the Fan tab, renaming the useful ones in a meaningful way (such as "CPU Fan", or "Case Fan", and so on).
After that, I will set the base parameters for each active fan under the Speed tab: I disable any speed I won't use, I check the "automatically varied" box for any fan I want to control, and set the the relevant Speed thresholds (min and max): take note that after the Warning Temp threshold, any automatically varied fan will spin at 100%.

Eventually you should set the Super I/O chip behaviour, as shown there, and you will also set the needed offset for cores temps.

This is very briefly what you need to do, at least: providing you correctly perform all that, whether it still won't work, then you may reasonably conclude that your motherboard (actually its Super I/O chip) is not compatible.

So, have a good luck (in case)! ;-)

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:50 am

As a supplement or alternative to the BIOS fan controls there is MSI's free download Command Center software which has excellent graphic fan control facilities. I don't think it makes any difference to the minimum 50% duty cycle for 3 pin chassis fans issue but it may offer more control over the CPU PWM fan chain than the BIOS does.

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:42 am

@lodestar: I already use MSI Command Center. The last version is much less buggy thqn the one delivered with the Mobo. Nice tool for monitoring. However those new Bios are much more convenient than old ones, and the BIOS HMI is very similar to the one of Command Center.

@Quest for Silence: thanks for your patience and explanations. I'll give a second try to Speedfan. In fact, I tried the process you proposed and identified sys, core0 and core1 temperatures, but not the overall CPU temperature. I feel that I have to add 15°C offset to the Core0 and Core1 temp (seems to be normal). I'll have to look better for the Overall CPU temp as it is the more important for the fan control. Is it something thqt is normally linked to the NCT6779D, or the ACPI bus (I have two unidentified temps on the ACPI bus) ?

Overall, I'm very happy with the config. I finally have only one regret: I should have bought an external DVD burner, from a noise perspective, as it is one of the components that we hear when we put the hear against the case. I wouldn't have expected that. I wanted an optical driver as I rip some audio CDs from time to time and do not like the compressed MP3 that we can buy online. Not a too big issue as the rig is quiet enough for me.

In case: is there a way to "switch" on/off some drives by software when we do not use them (like the DVD burner or the additional HDD) ?

Is there a "tradition" on SPCR to do/post something when we are happy with the result to share the outcomes of the design process ?

Thanks to all the community for your hep !!!!!!!

Kind regards,

JMF

jmf11

Post by jmf11 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Hello,

I spent some time this evening learning more about SpeedFan. I tried to map the temp measurement with those of OHW... And did not succeed so well :-( See the attachment: OHW gives the perfect value for the system temp and the CPU temp. But No equivalent CPU measurement for SpeedFan, which only detects 2 temps for the NCT6779D, one of them being fixed to 128.

I imagine that one option is to use the cores temp given by the CPU... But however I'm pretty happy with the chained fans on the CPU fan Header and did not identified some cooling schema needing to control them independently.

Even at full power (prime95 test), the cores do not go over 50°C with fans still being around 35% (and turning at respectively 750 and 1000 rpm).

I set up the disks to go to standby after 10 minutes, as in normal usage I only use then SDD, and then the PC is really silent.

Happy !

Regards,

JMF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.