Need help with booting issue

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Need help with booting issue

Post by Abula » Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with a new economy build i just assembled, the main problem is every time i shut down and i turn it on (pushing the power button) it starts for like 2 sec and then shuts down.

Some history on the motherboard, i bought this H81i like 6 months ago, and it had an issue specific with the USB ports and drivers, it had a unusual latency that created the computer to be unresponsive and in some times hang. But with USB ports disabled from the bios the computer ran fine, no latency, no lockups, nothing, i decided to wait for a bios revision and bought another motherboard. But since then MSI released a couple of bios, recently the 10.3 was released, so decided to rebuild it and flash it again, and even though there is no mentioning about an USB latency fix on the bios details, its working perfect, no latency no excess cpu use, and this is with all the USB running, im happy that MSI did fix the issue.

But not all is great, i now have a new issue, its kinda like cold boot issue, when ever i shut down the computer, the next powerup will start up the pc, the power led turns on, the fans start spinning, but in 2 or 3 sec it shut down. I can fix this by removing the power to the PSU for 10sec and pushing power button so its drained, then replug the power connector to the PSU, and it turn on like nothing happen, completely stable on stress tests and no a single hang or anything really, its just every time i need to turn it on, i have to remove the PSU cable and wait for it to drain down and then connect it and turn it on. I also have no issue with resetting from windows, it boots normally, its just when i shut it down.

I have lots of hardware i can test, like memory, cpu, psu, gpus, etc, but i think its more a bios setting, seems like a very simple issue since its repetitive and the fix is also repetitive... so looking for suggestions into what could i do.

These are the components of the build,

CPU = Intel G3220
CPU Cooler = NoFAN95
Motherboard = MSI H81i
Memory = Kingston Value ram ddr3 1333mhz 1.5V (dont remember the exact model number but i can look it up if need it).
HDD = Western Digital 3tb RED WD30EFRX
PSU = picoPSU 90XLP
Brick = Meanwell 12V 80W
Case = Lian Li PC-Q08
Frontal Fan = Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Top fan = Noctua NF-S12A PWM

The changes i have done from the initial build (where i had the usb issue)
- Kingston lovo ddr3 1333mhz 1.25v (that i think the bios cant go that low, from what i recall it ran it 1.5)
- Bios 10.1 to 10.3
- I used a 60W meanwell brick and the 80W as well, neither had an issue, from what i remember.
- HDD, was a Hitachi 5k1500 (2.5) and now its a WD Red 3tb (3.5)
- Practically all drivers are newer but the computer doesn't reach to booting of windows so this shouldn't matter.

Thanks for any suggestions,

lodestar

Re: Need help with booting issue

Post by lodestar » Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 am

Does temporarily replacing the picoSPU setup with a conventional PSU make any difference?

CA_Steve

Re: Need help with booting issue

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 19, 2014 7:45 am

lodestar wrote:Does temporarily replacing the picoSPU setup with a conventional PSU make any difference?
That's my thought, too. But first, look in the UEFI power settings and see if any of the (hibernate, advanced C state, etc) settings are different than before.