Silent System with Akasa Euler doesn't boot

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chrisboy2000

Silent System with Akasa Euler doesn't boot

Post by chrisboy2000 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:38 am

Hello everybody,

I just ordered the parts for my new silent computer (the case was selected based on this excellent review on this site):

- Akasa Euler
- ASUS H81T
- Intel i7-4785T (new Haswell Refresh Generation)
- Samsung EVO 250GB
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance

I assembled everything but when I tried to start the computer, the screen remains blank (both HDMI and DVI) and no POST message is played. However the Power LED is on (the HDD flashes once) and the USB ports have power.

I have two possible reasons for this:

- my BIOS is not updated to support the newest Intel CPUs (however the hardware revision is 0503 and the required BIOS version is also 0503)
- the ASUS H81T won't start unless a fan is connected (maybe someone here can verify that this mainboard is working on a fanless system.

Has anybody a clue what else could be the reason for it? I am pretty sure I made no mistake at assembling (it's not that hard to be fair...) Also can anybody else with this particular mainboard verify if there is a POST sound played when starting up or is this functionality not available on this MB (would be odd).

Best,
Christoph

lodestar

Re: Silent System with Akasa Euler doesn't boot

Post by lodestar » Fri May 23, 2014 11:03 am

chrisboy2000 wrote:...the ASUS H81T won't start unless a fan is connected...
The normal Asus BIOS settings on current motherboards are Q-Fan Control Enabled and CPU Fan Speed Low Limit set to xxx rpm. In the absence of a CPU fan or one running under the minimum this should just generate a CPU Fan Speed warning. So seeing the fan speed warning is not unusual with new systems, at least until the BIOS settings are adjusted. But it should not prevent booting up. (Clearing the warning incidentally only involves setting Q-Fan Control to Disabled and/or setting the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit to Ignore).

Have you tried starting it up with the SSD disconnected to see if the system will boot into the BIOS?

chrisboy2000

Post by chrisboy2000 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:23 am

Thanks for the response. I disconnected the SSD and I also unplugged the RAM, but it doesn't change anything.

There is a 4pin "Internal Speaker" connection on the mainboard. Do I need to connect a speaker to this to hear the POST signal or is there a speaker onboard (however I didn't spot anything that looks like a speaker on the mainboard).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat May 24, 2014 2:45 pm

chrisboy2000 wrote:Thanks for the response. I disconnected the SSD and I also unplugged the RAM, but it doesn't change anything.

Your screen is a monitor or a TV?

Broadly speaking, unless your parts source can troubleshoot it for you, I would advice: to test the system outside the case with the CPU stock heatsink; if it shouldn't work, to pick some spare parts, like an QVL-approved So-Dimm module and/or a Celeron G1820/G1830, to perform further investigations.

chrisboy2000

Post by chrisboy2000 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:22 am

I tried both HDMI and DVI outputs, changed the RAM with another old SO-DIMM I got from my notebook, but it didn't help.

I find it really frustrating that the ASUS mainboard has no POST speaker, since now I have to send back everything.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun May 25, 2014 9:04 am

chrisboy2000 wrote:I tried both HDMI and DVI outputs

I was referring to the input connectors, however, if they can troubleshoot for you, that's a good option.

FreddyL

Post by FreddyL » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:47 pm

I have the exact same problem, H81T with 4785t and no boot or POST signal. I have tried both the external and internal audio jack with no POST signal. I have also tried to clear RTC with the jumper and disconnected the battery to re-set the bios without succes.

Have you had any succes?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm

As has already been mentioned the 4785t requires BIOS 503 or later; the current latest is 601. It's possible that retail units are being distributed with the 0209 first release BIOS or at least one earlier than this CPU needs, and this could account for the non-booting. Is there anything on the box that the H81T came in to indicate which BIOS it has. It is interesting that Asus have a system on some of their Z97 boards that allows a BIOS update without a CPU even being fitted. Presumably to avoid the circular situation where the board cannot boot with a particular CPU without a BIOS update, but without a boot it is not possible to update the BIOS. What does the manual for the H81T say about BIOS updating?

FreddyL

Post by FreddyL » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:42 pm

lodestar wrote:As has already been mentioned the 4785t requires BIOS 503 or later; the current latest is 601. It's possible that retail units are being distributed with the 0209 first release BIOS or at least one earlier than this CPU needs, and this could account for the non-booting. Is there anything on the box that the H81T came in to indicate which BIOS it has. It is interesting that Asus have a system on some of their Z97 boards that allows a BIOS update without a CPU even being fitted. Presumably to avoid the circular situation where the board cannot boot with a particular CPU without a BIOS update, but without a boot it is not possible to update the BIOS. What does the manual for the H81T say about BIOS updating?
Checked my BIOS version and it was 0209 which explaines the boot issue, stille very annoying that no POST was given. I also found this guide http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006767/ it appear that I have to buy a old processor and install the OS to be able to update, such alot of work :(

sandbo

Post by sandbo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi,

Just on my search to see if Euler fits the ASUS H81T, I came across your post and was sorry for your case.
But then I realized that ASUS does allow CPU-less BIOS refresh, that is, they have a tool for us to update the BIOS without having bought an old CPU:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list ... mxYeb2KgYJ

I hope this is useful for you, and I will probably building a similar system, but maybe with a cheaper CPU like G1840.
My concern is that it has a 54W TDP, a bit higher than Euler was designed for, while I just wonder without fullload, would the heat still be an issue.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 am

sandbo wrote:I hope this is useful for you, and I will probably building a similar system, but maybe with a cheaper CPU like G1840.
My concern is that it has a 54W TDP, a bit higher than Euler was designed for, while I just wonder without fullload, would the heat still be an issue.
No need for concern. :) The reason a i7-4785T with four cores and HT is in the 35W category, while the G1840 with two cores and no HT is in the 53W category is almost pure marketing. In reality the i7 would be hotter I think.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 am

sandbo wrote:...But then I realized that ASUS does allow CPU-less BIOS refresh, that is, they have a tool for us to update the BIOS without having bought an old CPU:
Unfortunately that tool is a Windows program that is a more convenient BIOS updating alternative to reading the new BIOS off a USB key at boot time. As it needs Windows an older CPU would still need to be installed. In the absence of a POST however even the USB key method would not seem to be available.
sandbo wrote:...I will probably building a similar system, but maybe with a cheaper CPU like G1840.
As you may already have seen from the Asus H81T CPU support list the G1840 also needs at least the 503 BIOS so you could be in the same situation.

sandbo

Post by sandbo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:01 am

lodestar wrote:
sandbo wrote:...But then I realized that ASUS does allow CPU-less BIOS refresh, that is, they have a tool for us to update the BIOS without having bought an old CPU:
Unfortunately that tool is a Windows program that is a more convenient BIOS updating alternative to reading the new BIOS off a USB key at boot time. As it needs Windows an older CPU would still need to be installed. In the absence of a POST however even the USB key method would not seem to be available.
sandbo wrote:...I will probably building a similar system, but maybe with a cheaper CPU like G1840.
As you may already have seen from the Asus H81T CPU support list the G1840 also needs at least the 503 BIOS so you could be in the same situation.
Sorry for my incorrect information, on closer inspection that Flashback function is not available on H81T unfortunately, and it seems the only way is really to use an old CPU. While that's the case, I pretty believe that if you don't mind to do a RMA, the ASUS people will be willing to help.
Last edited by sandbo on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sandbo

Post by sandbo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 am

Vicotnik wrote:
sandbo wrote:I hope this is useful for you, and I will probably building a similar system, but maybe with a cheaper CPU like G1840.
No need for concern. :) The reason a i7-4785T with four cores and HT is in the 35W category, while the G1840 with two cores and no HT is in the 53W category is almost pure marketing. In reality the i7 would be hotter I think.
Thanks for your reply, from what I see is G1840 would probably be 2XW idle and 4XW Full load, but then unless I run prime it is very unlikely I would run into the latter. Actually, I am also considering risking with i3-4150, while that one is around 10W higher in full load case afaik:
http://benchmarks-tests.com/reviews/pro ... mption.php

It's gonna be a gamble :oops:

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm

sandbo wrote:Sorry for my incorrect information...
No need to be sorry, all this stuff is a learning experience. The Asus Windows tool is an easy one for me because I have actually used it. But it would be nice if the 'CPU-less' BIOS updating method of some Asus boards became as bit more universal.

I note that one of the PC hardware suppliers here in the UK will fit a CPU and cooler to a motherboard and test it for you if the components are bought from them. They charge £10 for this (about $16 US). That may not seem particularly great but they will also "...do any necessary BIOS updates to make sure you have all the latest fixes from the motherboard manufacturer..." which makes that fee seem like a whole lot more reasonable.

sandbo

Post by sandbo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

lodestar wrote:
sandbo wrote:Sorry for my incorrect information...
No need to be sorry, all this stuff is a learning experience. The Asus Windows tool is an easy one for me because I have actually used it. But it would be nice if the 'CPU-less' BIOS updating method of some Asus boards became as bit more universal.

I note that one of the PC hardware suppliers here in the UK will fit a CPU and cooler to a motherboard and test it for you if the components are bought from them. They charge £10 for this (about $16 US). That may not seem particularly great but they will also "...do any necessary BIOS updates to make sure you have all the latest fixes from the motherboard manufacturer..." which makes that fee seem like a whole lot more reasonable.
I heard of the same service in the state, but I am in Canada and don't know of any local supplier offering the same :|

For my case, I don't really have an old Haswell, so I am now trying to confirm with some stores to see if they can make sure they are shipping the boards with new BIOS; otherwise I will have to wait indefinitely or check another brand(which I don't want, ASUS's with eSATA is a big plus to me)

M2X

Post by M2X » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:20 pm

sandbo

Post by sandbo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 pm

M2X wrote:you can also buy a new bios chip

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ASUS- ... 58b1ade391
Oh, this sounds a way out if I was out of option, thanks for telling.
I ended up getting a 2nd hand G3220 and did the flash.

G1840 instead has the clear video hd feature where I think it fits better as a HTPC; I will keep the G3220 somewhere else.

kaw

Post by kaw » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 am

I am thinking of buying more or less exactly the same hardware? How are the temperatures holding up? And under 100% load for about 1 hour?

sandbo

Post by sandbo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:34 pm

kaw wrote:I am thinking of buying more or less exactly the same hardware? How are the temperatures holding up? And under 100% load for about 1 hour?
I have recently got Euler S and G1840 running in it, and would be glad to give you some details on temp.

With a room temp of 26C, I got the followings:
Idle - 40C
Light Load - 50C
Full Load - 72C

Which I think is very acceptable as a fanless case, especially I am using a 53TDP CPU instead of 35W the chassis is designed for.
And almost 90% of the time I am having it under 50C, which I think is a good temp.