Noctua NH-D15: Updating an Icon

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Noctua NH-D15: Updating an Icon

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri May 30, 2014 2:54 pm

Abula

Re: Noctua NH-D15: Updating an Icon

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks for the review Lawrence,

Interesting that with one fan the cooler the Kosetu wrecks it, and with two fans still the Genesis outperforms it.

Would be interesting if at some point you guys can test the new Silver Arrow IBE to see if gets wrecked (crossing my fingers it doesnt =) )

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Abula wrote:(crossing my fingers it doesnt =) )
hee

kellym2

Post by kellym2 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Abula wrote:Thanks for the review Lawrence,

Interesting that with one fan the cooler the Kosetu wrecks it, and with two fans still the Genesis outperforms it.

Would be interesting if at some point you guys can test the new Silver Arrow IBE to see if gets wrecked (crossing my fingers it doesnt =) )
It is interesting that the Kosetu does so well, although it would be interesting also to see at what point the NH-D15 returns the favor. I think the NH-15 would be a great heatsink for quiet overclocking, along with the usual suspects such as the Silver Arrow. CPUs at stock or slightly over are not much of a match for the really good cooler/fan combos we have these days. Once the heat really starts cranking up, size is hard to overcome.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:15 am

Abula wrote:CPUs at stock or slightly over are not much of a match for the really good cooler/fan combos we have these days.
That's kind of what I was thinking - why do you need this much cooler these days when the highest performing CPUs, like an i7-4770, have a TDP of 84W?

mkk

Post by mkk » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 am

While it seems particularly effective with low speed fans, I think they've managed to make it just too big. As much as I'm impressed by my HR-02 Machos I've come to the conclusion that whatever next main build I put together it will have to be with a heatsink that does not interfer with the first PCIe slot, or even gets too close to it. I've never considered thickness to be much of a problem since very high profile RAM hasn't been very meaningful to have, but when the fan even lightly bumps into regular sized RAM in the year 2014 then you know that the design has gone a bit too far.

The Scythe Kotetsu looks awesome in comparison, but remains hard to get.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 pm

The Haswell/Haswell refresh 4 cores, particularly the i7s do run fairly hot when pushed to maximum turbo speeds. Some of the board manufacturers add to this by allowing all four cores to run at maximum turbo speeds. But as long as only turbo speeds are involved I would agree that a NH-D15 looks a bit excessive. However the NH-D15 would make sense with something like a 4770K or 4790K overclocked to the higher 4Ghz ranges. And given the price of this class of processor the cost of the NH-D15 is not unreasonable, particularly as an alternative to the AIO water coolers such as the Corsair H100i. However, that scenario is about to change with the introduction of the Haswell G3258. Priced by my local supplier at around £55 it seems good value for a 3.2Ghz dual core. What makes it different is that it is being described as the Pentium K Anniversary G3258, and does indeed have an unlocked multiplier allowing a maximum speed of 4.5Ghz. It would be interesting to see what the Scythe Kotetsu could do with one of these. The Kotetsu seems to be a bit elusive in the UK, with no current stockists that I can find but can be imported from Germany for £32 all in. This seems good value and would be more in line with the price of the G3258.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:03 pm

lodestar wrote:The Haswell/Haswell refresh 4 cores, particularly the i7s do run fairly hot when pushed to maximum turbo speeds. Some of the board manufacturers add to this by allowing all four cores to run at maximum turbo speeds.
On load my 4770K 3.9ghz on all 4 cores on the MSI Z87GD65.... but i did wonder if this was something in the board or was intel allowing full turbo on all cores...... but does make me wonder if the same will apply the new MSI Z97 Gaming 7 + i7 4970K, and what temps will it reach at 4.4ghz on all 4 cores...