i can still hear the ultra quiet fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zoran

i can still hear the ultra quiet fan

Post by zoran » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm

I have this OWC Qx2 enclosure, that accommodates this Zalman ZMF2 Ultra quiet fan and although its ultra quiet as they claim, i can still hear it when having it next to my iMac. I believe you can imagine what its like, im having a passive cooling iMac and right next to it i can hear the turbulence that this little fan makes!
I have inserted the silicone pins it came with, but still the sound is there!
Any more quiet suggestions?

Abula

Re: i can still hear the ultra quiet fan

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Have you stablished the speed the fan is running? you could try to undervolt it to 7V or 5v

Or get a lower rpm fan like Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PE-1 92mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1300 RPM - 14 dBA

zoran

Post by zoran » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Abula wrote:Have you stablished the speed the fan is running?
What do you mean by that?

Abula wrote:you could try to undervolt it to 7V or 5v
How would i undervolt it? Dont really know stuff like that :-)

Running at lower RPM can this be an issue for the effective cooling?

I was thinking of placing -my own design- a quad of smaller fans, just so that all four fit into the dimensions of the big fan. Maybe smaller ones make less noise? Is this possible?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 pm

zoran wrote:
Abula wrote:Have you stablished the speed the fan is running?
What do you mean by that?
Do you know if its running at 1500rpms (its full rated speed) or the unit regulates it?
zoran wrote:
Abula wrote:you could try to undervolt it to 7V or 5v
How would i undervolt it? Dont really know stuff like that :-)
Some options,
Zalman Fan Speed Controller FANMATE-2
3" Fan Speed Reduce 3 Pin Power Cable Adapter for Desktop PC
Zalman ZM-RC56 56 Ohm Resistor Connector
zoran wrote:
Running at lower RPM can this be an issue for the effective cooling?
Could be, but in a lot of prebuild cases, they prepare for 7200rpms drives, that you dont need as much cooling with 5400rpm, but it really depends on each enclosure and drives. The difference isnt mind blowing though, its 1300rpms vs 1500rpms, that if the specs from the manufacturers are correct. Another 92mm that has lower rpms is the Scythe S-FLEX SFF92A - 92mm Silent Fan - 1000 RPM - Sleeved

If you want to go with similar RPMs fan, then look into SPCR's Fan Round-Up #3: 92mm Fans, one of the recommended was the Nexus 92mm Real Silent Case Fan - Sleeved.
zoran wrote:I was thinking of placing -my own design- a quad of smaller fans, just so that all four fit into the dimensions of the big fan. Maybe smaller ones make less noise? Is this possible?
Bigger would end up better, as they would need less rpms to move the same amount of air than a lot of small ones, also smaller are much harder to find quiet ones, while 92 is not super easy but i think would be easier overall.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 am

zoran wrote:...im having a passive cooling iMac...
The iMac is not passively cooled. Apple fit at least one fan; whether you can hear it or not is probably more to do with (high) ambient temperatures than anything else.
zoran wrote:...and right next to it i can hear the turbulence that this little fan makes!..
The OWC Qx2 does not have to be right next to it. If the fan is too noisy just fit a longer cable and move it far enough away that the fan noise is no longer a problem.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 am

There are two fans in my 24" iMac.