Tesla H for a Fanless NUC

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Tesla H for a Fanless NUC

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Abula

Re: Tesla H for a Fanless NUC

Post by Abula » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the review Mike, this is one of the cases that i might buy in the future with a nuk for HTPC, i feel its well worth the investment to remove the fan on the nuk. Hopping to see more like this, maybe Steacom or hdplex can make one for the nuk that can surpass its performance.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 pm

I think the only way to improve on the cooling is to use a case with "deeper" fins, positioned vertically so that convection can really happen between the fins, from bottom to top. That and perhaps a better interface between CPU and case. Ditto the mSATA -- that thing really got hot under Furmark... tho once again, that's such a nasty unnatural load.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm

So, using Furmark as a pretty screen saver is a bad idea? :D

Thanks for the review. Always fun to see these little heatsink cases in action. You knew there'd be issues with the mSATA drive when you saw that tower of thermal interface!

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 am

Am I the only one who thinks that "Tesla H" is a new model of an electric car?

Does anyone make a passive case for a NUC that is much smaller - all of my content is on my server so I don't need anything more than a mSATA drive in an HTPC. Assuming that you could make all of the connectors fit you could make the case about half the size of this one.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:20 am

wayner wrote:Does anyone make a passive case for a NUC that is much smaller - all of my content is on my server so I don't need anything more than a mSATA drive in an HTPC. Assuming that you could make all of the connectors fit you could make the case about half the size of this one.
The standard Intel NUC case is 116.6 x 112.0 x 34.5 mm or about 4.5" square, 1.5" tall (with feet).

All-passive NUC cases include:
Akasa Newton -- several for different gen of NUC boards, all 150 x 170 x 47mm.
Streacom NC1 -- 150 x 112 x 48mm (W x D x H) -- this one actually has the biggest fins, so it might be the best cooling.
Tranquil PC Abel H2 -- no dimensions given; it looks like it would be wider than deep, a bit like Streacom's.

Both Tranquil & Streacom are pricier: 80EU & 99UKP, iirc. The Newton is available in the US for ~$85.

Or.... if you have some metalworking skills, you could roll your own. It's just a piece of extruded aluminum clamped to the CPU/GPU. The rest could be formed of metal mesh. Doesn't need to look fantastic, can be just tucked out of sight, use a wireless kb/m. Materials cost might run $20.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:23 am

I own two of the HD-Plex cases for HTPC clients - the H1 and H3. I think Larry (the guy from HD-Plex) is also considering a NUC case.

bogus

Post by bogus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 am

do they have a case for the brix pro???

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for another fine article, Mike. I'm fond of fanless (I still run a Logic Supply test model I bought from SPCR a few years back) and am tempted by this Tesla.

I would use the i3 model. Newegg is selling the $2.5" kit for $290 including 4GB of memory, compared to just the mobo from Logic Supply for $280. I was thinking I might buy the kit, and if the fan bothered me, move to the Tesla. How hard was it to safely remove the mobo? Were there any "tricks" you found to make is safer?

Thanks, Howard

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:46 am

hmsrolst wrote:Thanks for another fine article, Mike. I'm fond of fanless (I still run a Logic Supply test model I bought from SPCR a few years back) and am tempted by this Tesla.

I would use the i3 model. Newegg is selling the $2.5" kit for $290 including 4GB of memory, compared to just the mobo from Logic Supply for $280. I was thinking I might buy the kit, and if the fan bothered me, move to the Tesla. How hard was it to safely remove the mobo? Were there any "tricks" you found to make is safer?

Thanks, Howard
Hi Howard,

It was a bit nerve wracking, but once everything that could be removed was removed, the trick was to work the board out of both the inner perimeter frame as well as the external one without putting too much stress on the connectors, some of which protrude out just enough to make this tricky. I managed it tho -- the board is still working. :lol:

If you're considering getting one, pls consider this, a free Akasa Newton X from SPCR for your review help.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks. Wider and shallower work better for me, so the Tesla would be my choice. And I like the two 2.5" drive aspect. The taller Intel one would be good, but fanless is most appealing as it would be on my desk.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Mike, I bought the Tesla case and an i3 Haswell, and am about to assemble it. When I removed the stock HSF there is a TIM on the GPU. Did you use the original one or the one that comes with the Tesla? I can't tell from the picture. Thanks, Howard

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Wipe off the old, use the one that came w Tesla.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks very much. This is really a nicely designed case.