Can someone help me with my current rig? Annoying noises

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Elvenmunky

Can someone help me with my current rig? Annoying noises

Post by Elvenmunky » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:39 pm

So I'm getting two noises that are really driving me nuts! I have pinpointed where the noises are coming from. I get a sort of slight buzzing from the CPU cooler (or near it). Cant really describe the noise, almost like an electrical buzzing type noise. The fan is on 'silent mode' from the Asus BIOS settings.

I also get a whooshing noise from the PSU and that's the loudest component in my rig. I am willing to rip everything out and buy what I need to make this HTPC as silent as it can be. My only need is watching bluray movies (from HDD).

Here are my specs -

Case: Silverstone ML03
CPU: Intel i3-2120
Mobo: Asus MATX PH61-M PRO
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Antec Earth Watts 360w
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken RevB low profile
Case fan: 2 x Xilence Red 80m
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6450 512mb (passive)
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
HDD: 3TB WD RED

Can anyone recommend me some parts that will make this silent as it can possibly be? Any help would be greatly appreciated (I reside in the U.K.)

CA_Steve

Re: Can someone help me with my current rig? Annoying noises

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 pm

PSU: Antec Earth Watts 360w
Did you mean the EA-380D?

You could do a fan replacement on the Antec - go with a much lower rpm fan as your load power isn't that high. Or, get a replacement PSU. For the latter there's the Seasonic G360 (pretty quiet at your loads), the Corsair RM 450 (silent at your loads), etc. Check for dimensional fit in that tiny case :D

Buzzing near the CPU cooler: If it's electrical, it may be the VRM circuitry on your mobo. If it's vibration, then:
- try unplugging the Scythe fan on the cooler and see if it goes away.
- see if the cross brace is tightened down.
- maybe it's the HDD.

Elvenmunky

Post by Elvenmunky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:03 am

Hey thanks it is indeed the Antec model that you mentioned. I will definitely replace it because I cant be dealing with the hassle of changing the fan. However my Silverstone only houses 140mm PSU so and the Corsair is 160mm so I am kind of stuck in that regard.

My other option is to just upgrade the whole rig with better silent parts. I've been looking at an upgrade for quite some time now.

Im am going to check the CPU cooler tonight to see where that damn buzzing is coming from.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 am

Elvenmunky wrote:Hey thanks it is indeed the Antec model that you mentioned. I will definitely replace it because I cant be dealing with the hassle of changing the fan. However my Silverstone only houses 140mm PSU so and the Corsair is 160mm so I am kind of stuck in that regard.

My other option is to just upgrade the whole rig with better silent parts. I've been looking at an upgrade for quite some time now.

Im am going to check the CPU cooler tonight to see where that damn buzzing is coming from.

There are few quiet units under 140mm, and maybe the safest option (for your specs) should be the Seasonic G-360.
All your mentioned parts seem suitable for a quiet rig, but anyway, how do you control your fans?
And can you post which are the relevant speeds for both idle and load?

Elvenmunky

Post by Elvenmunky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks ever so much for the recommendation. I just bought it straight away lol Only one shop in the U.K. had it and lucky they are a very reputable retailer. Cant wait to make this PC silent! I also bought two Noctua R8 case fans because I identified that the buzzing was coming from one of the Xilence fans!

Here is what profile I have the fans on -

photo uploading websites

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:06 pm

advanced mode in uefi will give you more options, but not as many as running the asus fan utility inside of win os.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Elvenmunky wrote:I also bought two Noctua R8 case fans because I identified that the buzzing was coming from one of the Xilence fans!

Xilence fans are usually not that bad, and the expensive Noctuas would look like an overkill (other cheaper fans may work well, like AC F8 PWM or Nexus Basic).

Elvenmunky wrote:Here is what profile I have the fans on

As already said by xan_user, the EZ mode isn't the best option for operating a quiet rig.

Broadly speaking, your fans look like too much fast spinning, so, more probably that not, you should set up more sensible fan curves, as your hardware shouldn't require more than 6-800rpm.