Corsair 760T - Kinda freakin cool!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Corsair 760T - Kinda freakin cool!

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:28 pm

I have not used a full atx case in a long time.

I figured the thing takes up floor space whether or not its 4-5 inches taller or shorter.

I was going to buy a 90 dollar case that looked like pretty decent... but then... Salesman Vlad showed me this sucker.

wow. It looks really nice. Comes in white accents too for 10 dollars more. I didnt get it because the white parts were on the side and nothing on front to jazz it up.

The build quality of the case is perfect. completely smooth and coated interior. Enormous spaces to work in. Very sturdy. But also, NOT heavy. Not at all. It has flexible medium thick panel doors on each side. After having an acrylic case, I know now that if the plastic is thick enough, it does not transmit sound. (in fact it deadens sound, shhh).

so, anyways, i have it all stock right now with a seasonic fanless 460 watt in the bottom. I am going to be removing the red LED fans in it (boo! they look actually great haha) and putting in some SPCR level of fans. I also have to put this machined fancy metal Zalman bay fan controller.

It has a magnetic removable top cover on it. it seals the top shut or opens up to a full size vent. There are VERY few quality cases that are balanced and also dont have super amount of holes AND look this good.

If anyone wants some style for 160 dollars that has good dust filters, very strong and elegant interior that is simple to silence. I think anyone on this forums after a while can figure out how to make a 20 something decibel box out of this. I recommend looking at it up close. I would have never bought it online. The swing away cabinet plastic doors would have made me think non-silence, but no, it is easy to silence.

i have a 1090T AMD chip, 5770 ATI card, (going to get a 750 GTI card soon). 1 tb hd that will eventually be 2x 512Gbyte ssd's when i scoop up the cash.

now quest is for 3 medium power 140mm, 2 front one back, that are spcr types.

CA_Steve

Re: Corsair 760T - Kinda freakin cool!

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

If you are looking for 3-pin voltage controlled fans, I've been happy with the Antec Truequiet 140's.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Agree with Steve, i think the Antec True Quiet 140 are cheap and quiet, and can drop really low. SPCR liked them aswell on the Second 140 mm Fan Roundup: Antec, bequiet!, Corsair, Scythe

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Hm.

thank you for the article pointing

I read it once. Was a bit confused. I want a fan that can be low volume at idle (not silent necessarily, close is fine) but when i want it, I can crank it up for stronger cooling. Sometimes gaming gets rough.

cant figure which one would fit that bill from this article

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:Hm.

thank you for the article pointing

I read it once. Was a bit confused. I want a fan that can be low volume at idle (not silent necessarily, close is fine) but when i want it, I can crank it up for stronger cooling. Sometimes gaming gets rough.

cant figure which one would fit that bill from this article

At first glance, I guess you don't need neither 140mm fans, nor fast spinning ones, with a GTX 750Ti (even with a 1090T CPU), so the Antec TrueQuiet seems perfectly adequate.

Among 140mm faster options, I would name the Antec TwoCool 140 (3 pin), Phanteks F140 (3 pin), the Noctua A14FLX (3 pin)/A15 (4 pin PWM), the Prolimatech Blue Vortex/Red Vortex (both 3 pin, the latter is LED equipped and a bit slower), NoiseBlocker PK2/PK3 (3 pin).

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 am

After 900rpms in my experience under my own conditions the fans become noticeble, not noisy or loud, but i dont like it... its up to you and your needs, i do feel the Antec True Quiet 140 offer a good range of operation specially for people looking for quiet good tone fan, for me 850rpms is enough on a 140. But the ones that Quest suggested are what i would consider if i were to need higher rpms, according to SPCR the Antec Two Cool 140 was one of the best in terms of performance, and its cheap as well. I run mostly noctuas 140s because of its PWM fan range of control, they drop extremly low and are stable there or can be ramp up, but tonally i prefer the true quiet 140.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:58 pm

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140SP.html

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/ ... 26#showtab

I would like the red LED's if the fan is quality.

these seem ok?

The current red stock fans on the 760T look awesome :) They lower their brightness when you lower the voltage. The hd light and reset and power are glowing red. so its nice to make it same way.

If i can keep the red LED look going while making it quiet, i would love that.

the noctua's are 28 dollars for the older ones and 25 for the newer ones. Jeez. I guess they are worth it but jeez. 80 dollars for 3 fans.....

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:these seem ok?

I think so. The ones reviewed by SPCR are:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1345-page4.html

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1191-page5.html

So I would pick the one which best fits your available headers.

~El~Jefe~ wrote:the noctua's are 28 dollars for the older ones and 25 for the newer ones. Jeez. I guess they are worth it but jeez. 80 dollars for 3 fans.....

For about ten bucks less per fan, there are the Noctua Redux (same fans but without the full bundle, and with a probably better agreable color scheme).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:08 am

I paid ~$13 ea for my three Antec's . :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:53 am

http://www.quietpc.com/nf-p14s-redux-1200

looks interesting.
1200 rpm for when i do some gaming one day or who knows what. I wonder what it dials down to.
that's a Voltage Controlled one right?

So I have to decide between these freaks and that one. They make a 900 rpm version of the noctua, but that seems anemic.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140SP.html

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/ ... 161&page=1

(yes this should be in the fan section, but might as well finish this here.

I have to install my fan bay controller tonight. Geek out my case :D
Last edited by ~El~Jefe~ on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:44 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I wonder what it dials down to.

More probably that not around 350rpm (providing the header is capable to drive that low), but I hope Abula will be able to tell you more about.

~El~Jefe~ wrote:that's a Voltage Controlled one right?

Yes, it is.

~El~Jefe~ wrote:So I have to decide between these freaks and that one.

They all are fine choices for your Corsair, so that you may pick the one you like more with no regrets (with a little "beware": IIRC SPCR tested the two different Phanteks F140 fans, the TS and HP variants, and they were both excellent: I guess that F140 SP you're linking is about on par with those, but I'm not certain of).
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Thank you much :)

I just found my never used Zalman zm-mfc1 Combo fan controller. It is pretty sweet.

That is this thing: http://www.quietpc.com/zm-mfc1-combo

My CPU fan is PWM. I can control 2 fronts with one controller and the one rear with another knob controller.

is there any disadvantage electrically of using a Y-splitter it comes with to control 2x 140's at same time?

Thanks,
jefe

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:is there any disadvantage electrically of using a Y-splitter it comes with to control 2x 140's at same time?

It mostly depends of the amperage rating of the header: on a classical motherboard header, personally I wouldn't past about 0.40A overall current draw.

A PWM splitter, on the other hand, won't suffer of similar limitarions (usually it has a separate molex to feed the fans), so you may well end up picking all PWM fans and driving them by the CPU fan header (through that splitter).

Please take note I've edited my previous post about the Phanteks fan.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:22 am

i will be using the fan bay controller and voltage regulation.
Zalman lists:

per channel max watts as 7 watts (0.6A)

Prolimatech red fan:
Operating Voltage Range 7~13.8 VDC
Rated Current 0.2 Max.Amp
Rated Power 2.4 Max.Watt

PHantek:

Input Current - 0.14 A
Rate Voltage - DC 12V
Input Power - 1.8 W

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:10 am

So both fans seems fully suitable to be drived through an Y-splitter.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:23 am

thank you much then :)

I can't wait to get a GTX 750ti. been reading about how strong it is in games. I hear it uses less wattage than my 5770.

This case has audible hard drive seeks. My acrylic case did not. even with the rubber screwless trays, it does this. Fortunately, windows 7 and 8 gigs memory hardly utilizes it. I didnt know until last night when the house was silent and windows closed that the seeks were being amplified. Not super loud but audible.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I can't wait to get a GTX 750ti. been reading about how strong it is in games. I hear it uses less wattage than my 5770.
Get the MSI Twin Frozr IV version, really good performer, run very cool and noise wise seems one of the best.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:59 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:This case has audible hard drive seeks.

Did you try to suspend it?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:17 am

No, I have not tried to suspend it. I am wondering where I could do that in such a case hm.

thank you for the tip about the MSI version of 750ti. I like MSI stuff so that's a win win.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I am wondering where I could do that in such a case hm.

Usually I use a NoiseMagic suspension, using a 5,25 bay (to be fair, in Europe that option would cost about the half than in U.S.A.).

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 pm

that does look very cool. yeah USA prices on that is high. I have to find out where that would fit in my case. Those things often fit in cheaper cases. these hd's are all slim and tight fit hmmmm....

would be worth a purchase though if it could fit.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:56 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I have to find out where that would fit in my case.

Did you already fit all those (x3) 5.25in Case Drive Bays your 760T sports?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:10 am

yes. good point. I could have done it there.

I have a blu-ray reader and a high end Plextor dvd/cd burner. So the zalman fan controller is going in 3 slot.

I know most people have a single solution drive. I do not. Even if i got a combo blu-ray player for cheap, I would still want to use the Plextor 760A for burning things. It makes burns so well and cost like 150 dollars or so, cant give it up.

hm. is a problem.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:00 am

I find that custom foam cradles cut from left over heatsink packaging to be as effective, and much easier/cheaper than HDD bondage.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:22 pm

?????????????

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Sorry, HDD bondage = drive suspension using cords/stretch magic ect. i never liked the complexity of the idea and seems like a hassle if you want to transport the rig.

So i started using foam packing leftovers, i never took any pictures, i wish i had. ( i dont use spinning discs any longer.)

-- this should give you the basic idea... but with that piece of foam id use it for 3 drives on end, with the drives sticking through the vertical holes.

Also could make something that fits a single hdd in 5.25 bay.

the idea is to use foam like "U" or "C" foam cradles on the edges, so air can still circulate fully around the drive.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 pm

that actually is really cool. That is strong too, designed for impact and protection. Lots of open air for a fan to cool as well. I always have a fan on my HD.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I always have a fan on my HD.

What a cool guy you are... but, definitely, not a silent ninja...

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Mike D might have to take back your SPCR secret decoder ring if you admit to having a fan on your hdd.. :mrgreen:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm

blah!

a super low fan or using 2 fronts which go over the hd is not a bad idea. My hd temps are ultra low. Longevity of my gear and data is paramount to all things. In the past I have placed a ultra low rpm 80mm fan on the hd facing it flat on 8)

I havent even switched to SSD. There are so many questions about how to make a ssd live longer.

If a HD dies, you can pay someone to pull most of the data off. SSD dies, i think its toast.

I want to put a 512gb samsung 840 PRO in this sucker, but i dont even trust that. and that is supposed to be long life.