XFX Pro 650W supposed to be very quiet but is super loud

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cardboardbox

XFX Pro 650W supposed to be very quiet but is super loud

Post by cardboardbox » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:53 pm

I have this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

This is the most expensive PSU I've ever purchased and I thought it would be the best and very quiet. So far I was wrong.

The fan isnt supposed to spin at idle, or at least I think it isnt:
Hybrid Fan Control Hybrid mode when activated, allows your fan to stay off when your computer is idle but turns on automatically when the PSU needs it. The fan operates silently under light load and switches to Quiet Mode (16dBA) when it reaches 20% load or 25°C, and switch to Cooling Mode when it reaches 50% load.
Mine is not anywhere near silent at idle. Its the loudest PSU I have. When I tried playing a game the PSU sounded like a jet engine and even after quitting the game it continues being loud. If I position the PSU in any way other than fan down it will make a chirping noise. I did RMA the PSU but the replacement makes the exact same noise so I guess its supposed to be this way?

Very disappointed. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Am I doing something wrong?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: XFX Pro 650W supposed to be very quiet but is super loud

Post by xan_user » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:42 am

welcome to SPCR!

key words in that description are "when activated". im not familiar with that PSU, but have you figured out how to "Activate" the hybrid fan control?

edh

Post by edh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 am

I would test the PSU on its own. Take it completely out of your system, lay it on a workbench and use a paper clip to jump start it (Google will give you a few guides). If the fan still runs when there is no load then that shows the 'hybrid' fan control doesn't work!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:51 am

also; what case, CPU, GPU,mobo and fan setup? without know your rig, my thought is maybe the PSU is the system main exhaust and gets to hot to go hybrid...?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:27 am

cardboardbox wrote:Is there anything I can do to fix this?

After doing some further tests (like the paper clip one), whether it will behave the same (as I guess), RMA it again: as far as I know more than 10% of that Seasonic platform is defective (bad QC), so you have to swap it until you get a properly working unit (obviously, whether it's possible).

cardboardbox

Post by cardboardbox » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 pm

xan_user wrote:welcome to SPCR!

key words in that description are "when activated". im not familiar with that PSU, but have you figured out how to "Activate" the hybrid fan control?
No I haven't. There is no mention of this in the manual and no switch on the PSU to turn this on. The way the description is worded, I think XFX is saying that this PSU has three modes, Hybrid (silent), Quiet, and Cooling, and the mode is selected by the PSU depending on the load.

cardboardbox

Post by cardboardbox » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:38 pm

edh wrote:I would test the PSU on its own. Take it completely out of your system, lay it on a workbench and use a paper clip to jump start it (Google will give you a few guides). If the fan still runs when there is no load then that shows the 'hybrid' fan control doesn't work!
Just did this and the noise is exactly the same as when the PSU is in my system. Hybrid mode is a lie!

cardboardbox

Post by cardboardbox » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:42 pm

xan_user wrote:also; what case, CPU, GPU,mobo and fan setup? without know your rig, my thought is maybe the PSU is the system main exhaust and gets to hot to go hybrid...?
Currently no GPU, i5-4430, case is TT New Soprano. PSU makes the same noise in other cases as well. I'm now using a Corsair 430w that was super cheap after rebate. Its near silent all the time.

cardboardbox

Post by cardboardbox » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 am

good news! After a few more emails, I figured out the source of my problem. Newegg says this PSU has Hybrid Fan Control but XFX says it doesnt. I dont know who decides what goes on the newegg product page or who's fault it is, but XFX is taking care of it. They will pay for return shipping and will send a different PSU that has HFC. I'm getting the XFX XTR 650W. Its 80 plus gold and modular and is based off of the Seasonic G-650 but with a better fan. At this point I think XFX has been very good to me and I think I'll leave them alone even if this one is still a bit noisy. :)

Thanks for getting me to not give up! I was about to dump the PSU on craigslist for whatever I could get.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 am

Awesome. Hopefully, you didn't incur any shipping/return charges from Newegg...and if you did, you should be able to get a credit from them for false specs/advertising.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 pm

cool.

report back when you get the right one.

cardboardbox

Post by cardboardbox » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:36 am

reporting back...

After 6 days of use I'm fairly happy. I thought 80 Plus Gold would be more efficient than the 80 Plus Bronze I was using but they are within 1-2 watts of each other. I'm using the 650W PSU with my work pc which has a G3258 in it and no video card so the power draw is low and I know that means the PSU is not running efficiently. But because of where the modular plug ins are and how long my video card is in my gaming pc (ITX box), I dont think this PSU will fit in the ITX case. At some point I will try to squeeze it in.

As for the noise, its quiet. The fan stays off sometimes but the temp has to be 77F or lower and I keep my house at 79 in warm weather so as you can imagine, the fan keeps going on and off repeatedly. I fear this will wear out the fan so sometime soon I'll turn hybrid mode off (switch is inside the case). Luckily its not too loud when the fan is on but I think the cheap Corsair PSU I was using before was a little quieter.

this is the unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Thanks for telling me not to give up!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:52 am

cardboardbox wrote:but I think the cheap Corsair PSU I was using before was a little quieter.

Probably it's true.

Thank you very much for sharing.